Name this new 3-way

jsalk

Name this new 3-way
« on: 10 Apr 2016, 05:42 pm »
About 10 years ago, I received an email from a gentleman who outlined his desired performance criteria for a speaker that was under $3000.  It had to be a 3-way and play down to near 30Hz.  He went on to describe the midrange and top end performance he was looking for as well.  He explained to me that he had listened to many brand name speakers, but none met his requirements.  He asked if I had any advice.

I told him the reason he was having trouble finding his ideal speaker is that it probably did not exist at that price point. I told him if he found one he should let me know because I would probably want a pair myself. 

He eventually did get the performance he was after.  He purchased a pair of Veracity HT3's.  It's just that is cost him a bit more than his $3000 budget. 

I thought about this exchange often over the years.  And when RAAL came out with a lower cost ribbon tweeter, we thought we might see what we could do.

I should point out that 3-way speakers are very difficult to get right.  Normally, it takes us about a year to go from concept to finished product.  But in this case, keeping the price under $3000 made the task quite a bit more difficult.

Our first try began about 2 years ago.  About this time last year, we were getting close.  But, as happens from time to time, despite repeated attempts to get the crossover right, that design just never quite came together and we had to scrap the project and start over.

I'm happy to say that this past week we made the final adjustments to a crossover for a new 3-way design and we will be ready to show it at AXPONA at the end of the week.

The only thing we don't have, at this point, is a name.  And that's where you come in.  Your suggestions have always been helpful.

Philosophically, this new design fits in the Song Series of speakers.  However, it does not use any of the same drivers.  So perhaps it needs to be part of an entire new series of speakers. 

Here is a picture of the pair we will take to AXPONA in Chicago...

I should probably explain the finish on this pair.  A few years ago I went to an art show and saw a bowl that was black with white grain.  This technique is called ceruse.  We tried it a few times, but never figured out how it was done.  About two months ago, we finally figured it out.  So I thought it would be fun to build a pair of speakers in that finish.  It's not a finish for everyone, but it was something different and we had to try it. (There are any number of color combinations that can be used with this technique and we have some very cool ideas of what to try next.)

Here is a close-up...

So let the naming begin...

(Technical details in the next post.)

- Jim
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2016, 03:00 am by jsalk »

Charles Xavier

Re: Name this new 3-way
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2016, 05:51 pm »
How about naming it after the guy that inspired the project

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2016, 05:53 pm »
Here are some specifications for this new 3-way model:

• 8-ohm design
  • 87db Sensitivity
  • Frequency response: 33Hz - 40kHz +/- 3db
  • RAAL ribbon tweeter
  • 4 inch midrange with bamboo cone
  • 7.5 inch woofer with papyrus cone
  • Size: 9.5" W x 14.25" D x 40.25" H not including plinths and spikes (add 2.5")
  • Price: $2895 per pair in standard finish

As one would imagine, the RAAL ribbon tweeter produces a very detailed and transparent top end.  The 4" midrange has excellent off-axis response and is ideally sized for great midrange performance.  The 7.5" woofer has excellent power handling and plays well-defined bass down to 33Hz with ease.

Kudos to Dennis Murphy for hanging in there through some trying times to pull this design together!

All and all, this is a lot of performance for under $3000 and I'm glad we undertook the journey to bring it to market.

- Jim

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2016, 05:59 pm »
How about naming it after the guy that inspired the project
+1. If in case it impossible I would name Tango.

JDoyle

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2016, 06:01 pm »
I love this stuff...

Salk Smart
Astute Towers
Salk Intels
Intellitower
Tech wise Tower
Salk Thrifts
Salk Reserve
Invest Techs
Salk Resource
Salk Substance
Salk Currency
Capital Towers
 :o :? :roll:

I'll try for more later ...

JD

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2016, 06:45 pm »
Salk Scythe - it cuts through the audio bullsh*t with ease.

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2016, 06:47 pm »
Felicity :idea:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2016, 07:04 pm »
I really like that finish, Jim. Fine, fine work.  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2016, 07:11 pm »
How about:

Exquisite Song Towers
Primo Song Towers

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2016, 07:16 pm »
Congratulations, Jim, and to Dennis as well.  I know you two put in a lot of work to make this project happen.

That finish is striking!  It looks like it could fit in to a more 'modern' decor that leans away from natural wood finishes, without being as sometimes stark as paint.  I think it is also a cool way to add even more depth to a finer but more busy grain like oak.  I'm presuming these are a satin finish, and I know it kind of goes against the spirit of the design, but a polished gloss in that finish would I think have a crazy deep, almost iridescent quality to it.

Again, congrats and have a great show!

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2016, 08:36 pm »
My submittal:  FlightSong

mritschdorff

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2016, 10:21 pm »
Serenade

srb

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2016, 10:28 pm »
SongTower Trio

SongTrio

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2016, 10:40 pm »
I'd say "Impossible Dream" in the Song Series

Ern Dog

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:05 pm »
Salk Tri-umph
Song Series II
Salk Performance Series

Ryan45872

« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:11 pm »
Salk Envision series
Salk Discern series

dex67

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:28 pm »
Salk Klas

Denverhifi

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm »
Will this have a one or two piece grill cover?

Patrick

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2016, 11:35 pm »
Salk M.A.T.  (Menage A Trois)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2016, 12:30 am »
I would like to add just a few details.  First, it's not super difficult to develop a decent 3-way.  There are a bajillion of them ut there, and some are pretty good.  The problem comes when you want to keep the price under $3,000 and still provide truly deep bass extension with a woofer that won't require a cabinet the size of Cleveland.   That's what has delayed this project and has generated countless e-mails.  We struggled for almost a year with a woofer that had admirable characteristics down low, but that lacked output in the critical midbass range.  In the meantime, I was following glowing reviews on DIY boards about a premium woofer manufactured by SB Acoustics under the name Satori.  SB Acoustics was started by former engineers of Scan Speak, and I've used their 6.5" woofer in a previous version of my Philharmonitor.  The new line is modeled after the Uber-Expensive Scan Speak Illuminator woofers, one of which Jim has used in the Silk monitor.  The 7.5" version promised everything we were looking for, and that's what Jim will be bringing to Chicago.  I personally think the Salk Satori would be a good name if the folks at SB Acoustics would allow it.