Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade

Jmitchell3

Re: Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade
« Reply #80 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:57 am »
What I said isn't in regards to the site owner or his work. If you read what his posters say over there then I am a salesman of snake oils, and I don't have a clue as to what I am talking about.  :lol:
Alrighty lol? I like both your work (amir and you) because you make your preferences and claims but back them up inasmuch as you can with objective measurements. The opinions on forums about industry and such are just as bad as their opinions on what sounds good and bad....when neither type of claims can be cited nor measured. Ugh. If im gonna go to the mat on something id better be able to back it up....whereas if i just think it sounds better, then..well....thats just, like, my opinion man.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #81 on: 9 Jan 2020, 06:53 am »
What I said isn't in regards to the site owner or his work. If you read what his posters say over there then I am a salesman of snake oils, and I don't have a clue as to what I am talking about.  :lol:

Whoa, let's walk that back a bit. I always thought there was only one flavor of snake oil. You're telling me there's more than one? I'm so in the dark...

maty

« Reply #82 on: 9 Jan 2020, 09:35 am »
My opinion.

First, with Youtube it is a problem because it greatly reduces the sound quality. Even so, the difference is very easily noticeable between A and B. And with or without tube connectors.

After the first cuts, noise more than music - which is what most people hear, such is the sad reality - the first thing worth listening to: acoustic instrumentation and voice (female): 6' 10"

https://youtu.be/9JP4OINiQ14?t=370

The logic, if quality recordings and high dynamic range are heard, speakers with a sufficiently flat frequency response. When we listen to certain music as rock..., it is equalized from a good software player that has a minimum phase PEQ, without exceeding the touch-ups. If you want "V" response -> with soft PEQ is better idea.

The sound differences go beyond the different equalization. And that with YouTube. Live the difference must be greater.

BTW: I have configured for the browser to send the sound to JRiver MC v25. Thanks to the WDM Driver: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

With Kernel Streaming. DSP with only the convolution filter made with rePhase to flat with negative slope the response at listening point (only two touchs).
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2020, 10:49 am by maty »

Jmitchell3

« Reply #83 on: 9 Jan 2020, 11:55 am »
Whoa, let's walk that back a bit. I always thought there was only one flavor of snake oil. You're telling me there's more than one? I'm so in the dark...

Lol

Greg L

« Reply #84 on: 9 Jan 2020, 01:48 pm »
As someone who completed the upgrade and did my own listening comparisons between modded and stock, tube connectors and binding posts, I feel good that I'm hearing the same things as Ron Bernay did in his A/B comparison video.  It just validated my impressions.   I have to take his word and trust my own ears because I don't have the computer audio equipment nor a decent pair of headphones to actually discern the differences in the  audio of the YouTube video.   What is the minimum amount of gear I need to have to make any accurate A/B comparisons from YouTube audio?  Are headphones plugged into my receiver enough?  Are Bluetooth headphones good enough?  Do I NEED to have a computer and an external DAC?  Please advise.

genjamon

« Reply #85 on: 9 Jan 2020, 03:21 pm »
I was able to hear differences using an old pair of Sennheiser HD590 headphones plugged into my laptop's headphone output jack.  They were a bit subtle on this rig, but definitely audible.  So, you don't need super-quality stuff to hear the differences.  But I'm sure the differences are more apparent the better your equipment.  And I also had a pretty decent idea what I would hear, based on my own big rig upgrade experiences.  A newcomer without that experience might have a harder time due to not having familiarity with the kinds and magnitudes of changes likely, so might have a harder time fully hearing differences in the youtube video on lower end headphones plugged into a laptop. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #86 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:18 pm »
Using an iPad with Koss KPH30i headphones I did not detect any real or imagined differences.  :dunno:

Mr Rick

« Reply #87 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:27 pm »
Same here. :icon_lol:

jmc207

« Reply #88 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:43 pm »
A bit surprisingly, I was able to hear the difference through speakers on my computer setup consisting of a Grace SDAC, Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver, and currently, a pair of Dennis Murphy modded Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers. I liked the modified version from the beginning. The difference is subtle over YouTube, kinda think it would be more apparent in person. Anyways, good work by Danny.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2020, 02:41 am by jmc207 »

smargo

« Reply #89 on: 9 Jan 2020, 07:30 pm »
Using an iPad with Koss KPH30i headphones I did not detect any real or imagined differences.  :dunno:

i listened as well to the you tube video and had to bs my way to hearing any differences with:

a vs b and tube connectors vs binding posts.

Onionhead

« Reply #90 on: 9 Jan 2020, 09:30 pm »
Newbie to forum. Outstanding build videos. Have my kit now. Need to get'r done.

Danny Richie

« Reply #91 on: 9 Jan 2020, 09:54 pm »
Newbie to forum. Outstanding build videos. Have my kit now. Need to get'r done.

Thanks for joining in. If you need help let us know.

And let everyone know the results you get as well.

maty

« Reply #92 on: 25 Jan 2020, 05:38 pm »
Danny, I think if you made an update pack for KEF Q150 you would have a winner. Maintaining the filter but with better components and with Miflex KPCU-01 0.022uF 600Vdc as bypass tweeter capacitor (like me in my modded KEF Q100). 3 components -> 4 components. No-rez, tube connectors and wires. Sonicap and Mills MRA12 (12 watts) resistor.

Re: KEF Q150 for $300 - Kefdirect.com, Amazon.com and Crutchfield.com
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161371.msg1779237#msg1779237

And a Ron's video with the sound before and after. Unlike the Klipsch, the frequency response would not have been modified, so the sound difference would be caused only by the improvement of components and No-rez.

maty

« Reply #93 on: 25 Jan 2020, 05:49 pm »
And a second pack with a new and more complex crossover (specially the woofer section).

maty

« Reply #94 on: 28 Jan 2020, 05:20 pm »
YouTube Fixing the Klipsch RP-8000F - with GR-Research

CSD original

CSD with new crossover

maty

« Reply #95 on: 28 Jan 2020, 05:57 pm »

maty

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #97 on: 28 Jan 2020, 11:11 pm »
Every time I heard those speakers at RMAF I thought they sounded bad.  Now I know why.

maty

« Reply #98 on: 29 Jan 2020, 08:15 am »
From the YouTube thread:

Justin Rogers

I took my own RP-8000F speakers and ran REW to take a measurement (1/6 smoothing on the graph)  I know it’s not perfect but it does validate the measurements Danny took. Also note: I went ahead and measured the woofer too so people can stop complaining about that  https://imgur.com/gallery/iop64TH

Optimized

maty

« Reply #99 on: 30 Jan 2020, 08:36 am »
About the Klipsch RP-8000M D.R. measurements and others:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/video-speaker-measurements-by-danny-richie.8840/post-315367

Klipsch RF-7 III has the same issue.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/video-speaker-measurements-by-danny-richie.8840/post-316432

[PDF] https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/shop/product/viewfile?FileId=4754&ProductId=937

Probably some series of floorstanding loudspeakers made by Klipsch have the same wrong configuration: 2-ways and not 2.5 ways. Then, the BIG hole at 1 m. And they have other problems too, even the most expensive  :duh: :duh: :duh:

I comment too in the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isMTHfjF_zA  [better -> order: more recents]