Someone is running jobs in my computer

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Someone is running jobs in my computer
« on: 25 May 2020, 02:06 am »
Yesterday 23MAY20 I started the PC at 19:05hs the W10 started and run the usual music clip but both monitors remains black, no image and the modem began to download data for 5/10minutes, after it the PC started running a long processing that not ended, I suppose it was in looping so I reboot the PC the next morning/today at 09:30hs and the PC came alive normal, it lasts 14:30hours.

In the update history there was nothing.
Tomorrow I will check Gpedit and EventTV
This has already happened some time ago in 24Feb20.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168405.0

I suppose it was a Microsoft or Intel task.
Someone already had this problem?
Any suggestion?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Someone is running jobs in my computer
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2020, 03:03 pm »
Someone is encrypting your hard drive for ransom? that would be my #1 guess.
Sorry to be so scary .. but there is nothing that would do what you described .. that I know of.
If t is still running and working I certainly would disconnect from internet pronto. before ? if  ? malware can lock your computer.. and get some assistance.Is your anti etcvirus stuff working. have you run a check?
What I would do is go into the programs from Microsoft and find the refresh this computer. which just over writes the entire thing with a NEW download of the Microsoft  10 files. yeah you lose everything except you still have a working computer wit ha frsh reboot of Windows 10 .. but it is what I would do. whatever is working in yor computer is NOT your friend.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 04:12 pm »
For some reason you seem to have the most creative and baffling computer problems of anyone I know. Not saying they are not real, but they are way beyond the knowledge of the average audiophile.

But fear not, help is on the way. Sign up at AskWoody. Windows Secrets used to be the go to place for computer answers, that site has now merged with AskWoody:
https://www.askwoody.com/welcome/

Woody Leonhard and his team probably have 250 years of Widows knowledge between them.

The best tech nerds in the world hang out in the Lounge, join the forum, sign up for the newsletter and enjoy a trouble free future.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 10:03 pm by WGH »

AB

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 07:20 pm »
Look at the "Event Viewer-Windows Logs-System" view.
You will find the Event Viewer in Control Panel - System And Security - Administrative Tools.
Many updates are DLed without their being presented in the Update History view in Settings.
In general have look through the various events that took place around the time your computer was doing suspicious things.
There's a very good chance it's just normal background Windows processes.
Also, I strongly suggest you do not reboot your system by power cycling while it's DLing or running some mysterious process that might take longer than you like. That's a very good way of bricking your system. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2020, 07:50 pm »
Thanks for the ASK WOODY site. someplace new to explore forever   :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2020, 10:00 pm »
Susan Bradley - aka the Patch Lady, at Ask Woody knows more about Windows patches than anybody. The Microsoft Patch Defense Condition is MS-DEFCON 2, Susan's current recommendation is: "Patch reliability is unclear. Unless you have an immediate, pressing need to install a specific patch, don't do it." Only computer geeks and the US military could come up with an alert system that as the threat increases the numbers get lower.

Susan writes:
"Many of you have written asking about non-critical updates that are offered by Windows Update, Office Update, and/or Microsoft Update. Unless you have an immediate, painful, obvious reason to install one of them immediately, I’d avoid them like the plague. Microsoft has really screwed up several hardware patches, in particular. Don’t trust Microsoft to deliver hardware updates; go to the hardware manufacturer’s site and install them manually. If your computer stops working, you only have yourself to blame!"

The AskWoody basic newsletter is free.
"the AskWoody Plus Newsletter, Alerts, and Master Patch List are reserved for Plus Members. We work on the donation model, which means you get to decide how much you want to pay to become a Plus Member. "

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2020, 01:19 am »
Thanks boys and gals for the suggestions.
Found these msg events during the mysterious processing
I pick up just afew msg the log is huge:
The previous system shutdown at 1:42:42 AM on ‎5/‎22/‎2020 was unexpected.

The SNMP Service encountered an error while accessing the registry key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\TrapConfiguration.

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000411.

A timeout was reached (45000 milliseconds) while waiting for the NetTcpPortSharing service to connect.

The NetTcpPortSharing service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The NetTcpActivator service depends on the NetTcpPortSharing service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager
 and APPID

Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
 Network link is disconnected.

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{76216C98-0536-489B-96F2-E222EC8BD3AA} because a master browser was stopped.

Network link has been established at 100Mbps full duplex.

The operating system started at system time ‎2020‎-‎05‎-‎24T00:47:43.500000000Z.

The operating system started at system time ‎2020‎-‎05‎-‎24T00:47:43.500000000Z.

The Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) started with 'Classic' mode using 'ConfigurationSystem'

Remote calls to the SAM database are being restricted using the default security descriptor: O:SYG:SYD:(A;;RC;;;BA).
For more information please see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=787651.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtectio n
 and APPID

The start type of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was changed from demand start to auto start.

Windows Update started downloading an update.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2020, 01:27 pm »
Informing on this case I found I had video board driver damaged and some system files corrupted, run a SFC but dont resolv, I had to run a complete Checkhealth and restore the video driver. Hope this will do.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2020, 08:36 pm »
Just want add a new msg error that happen in the two last days:
Video scheduler internal error.
Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0F00&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1\4&1f461cb9&0&0008 requires further installation.
Driver Name: display.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: BasicDisplay
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Vince in TX

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2020, 09:37 pm »
Just want add a new msg error that happen in the two last days:
Video scheduler internal error.
Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0F00&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1\4&1f461cb9&0&0008 requires further installation.
Driver Name: display.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: BasicDisplay
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

This looks like your system reverted to the Microsoft in-box drivers because there was a problem installing the NVidia drivers (Ven_10DE = NVidia Vendor ID).  Right-click your Start menu icon and go to Device Manager to check for yellow bangs (yellow exclamation marks).   Also check your Display Adapter name.   If it doesn't say GeForce GT 630, then you may need to download updated drivers from Nvidia.

What system processor do you have?   Are you running more than one display adapter (e.g. Intel or AMD integrated + Nvidia)?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2020, 10:12 pm »
Thanks for the tips.
I have Intel Core i5
Years ago an video driver update from Nvidia run bad, so I re-installed drivers via the W10 facility, it run OK since last year when something more happen and made both monitors starting with no image at power on.

There is a yellow flag on the Hi Def audio decide.
Could be it the prob source:?
Seems there is various files same name.

The details say:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.
Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV 0054&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&2380d34f&0&0301 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: hdaudio.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: HdAudAddService
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0xA
Problem Status: 0xC0000001

Vince in TX

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2020, 10:38 pm »
No, because that HD Audio Device is in the Intel controller (VEN_8086 = Intel's Vendor ID).   Some laptops can support what they call switchable or Hybrid graphics, but it would require that both devices are enumerated (visible by the OS as a second Display Adapter) with drivers installed as well.   Since you only have one display adapter listed, my next question would be when was the last time you updated your system BIOS?

I don't get involved too much with the Dell stuff anymore, but I know that HP laptops have the HP Support Assistant that can scan the system and determine whether or not everything is up to date.   Do you have something similar on yours?   I actually worked for Dell almost three decades ago supporting their Latitude notebooks, but a few things have changed since then.   :)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2020, 11:05 pm »
Bios is 18A from 2012 or 13.
Do I could uninstall this yellow banner file without further damage to working conditions?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2020, 11:45 pm »
Do you have something similar on yours?
No but there is standalone procedures to refresh the bios.
This is need in this case?

Vince in TX

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2020, 01:11 am »
Bios is 18A from 2012 or 13.
Do I could uninstall this yellow banner file without further damage to working conditions?

You can disable it (right-click - disable) as a troubleshooting step if you think it's causing problems.   Where are your speakers connected?   If you uninstall it, Windows will probably just see it again and put it back.   You can also download the latest reference drivers from Intel's web site to see if it helps.

That BIOS is pretty old if you are running the newer versions of Windows 10.   There have been quite a few security updates in the firmware especially for Intel vulnerabilities.   Do you know what version of Windows 10 you have?   If not, you can left click the Windows start menu icon and start typing "winver".   The updated BIOS files on Dell's web site should have release notes to show you what they fixed.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2020, 01:21 am »
Where are your speakers connected?
In the motherboard.

I have W10 Pro64 1909

I located the Dell Bios file, it is .exe for download (CPG BIOS executable Windows/DOS).
If I download it will update the Bios direct ?
Or I will have to run it manually?

This Dell Bios file is W7, not W10.
There is no W10 bios for my CPU model.
The link it this:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/pt-br/product-support/servicetag/0-TEJPQ3RhalF1SlRmWG1YMDFuanBhdz090/drivers
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2020, 02:37 am by FullRangeMan »

Vince in TX

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jul 2020, 04:06 am »
That link takes me to a foreign Optiplex 990.   I don't think your notebook is an Optiplex.   :)

What's the model of your notebook?   It's entirely possible they didn't update it for Windows 10 1909 support, in which case you are considered running in "Legacy" mode, so you may be on your own with some of these problems.   You need to be VERY careful trying to flash a system BIOS because any wrong move and you can brick the system, and then it's a paperweight.   So honestly it might not be in your best interest to try to update it if they don't have an update utility that can run from the BIOS setup or from a Windows 10 executable.

Digi-G

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jul 2020, 12:41 pm »
I don't remember where FullRangeMan is located, but I'm pretty sure it's outside of the US (i.e. foreign).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jul 2020, 02:37 pm »
Thanks Vince for your valuable help I appreciated  :thumb:
My computer is a regular PC it came with W7 Pro64.

WGH

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jul 2020, 05:36 pm »
You could contact Dell Support regarding BIOS updates but generally generally speaking you should always have the latest update. Here is a link to the March 31, 2020 BIOS.

Sistema operacional - either the BIOS or Not Applicable drop down menu will work

Explicitly following directions is essential
If the BIOS version that is installed on your system is A04 or any previous versions, you must upgrade the BIOS to version A05 before installing this package.
If the BIOS version that is installed on your system is A05 or later versions that are released before A10, you must upgrade the BIOS to version A10 before installing this package.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/pt-br/product-support/servicetag/0-TEJPQ3RhalF1SlRmWG1YMDFuanBhdz090/drivers

The English page:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=h2vg3

There are plenty of "How To" videos
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=BIOS+Dell+OptiPlex+990+Urgent