Planck EZ keyboard

JohnR

Planck EZ keyboard
« on: 6 Mar 2020, 06:41 am »
I've mostly ignored the mechanical keyboard craze so far. Recently I decided it was time to improve my typing. I'm moderately fast but developed bad habits over the years. Bought a Microsoft Sculpt "ergonomic" keyboard and can't use it. Looked a little further afield and boy oh boy there's a lot of activity in this area! To cut to the chase, here's my solution (I hope):

https://ergodox-ez.com/pages/planck

Where are the number keys and the rest of the punctuation??! This thing has "layers" which you access by the two keys I've highlighted. What's more, it's completely programmable, so you can change the key layout (and the layers) to be whatever you want (more on that later). There's even a web-based user interface for customizing your keys.

The key layout is ortholinear - the more I tried to improve my typing, the more the conventional "staggered" layout annoyed me. Also, you can just swap out the keyswitches for a different set if you want. And also, it has individual backlighting for each key, which can be used as a mnemonic for the active keys in each layer. (Seriously, the image below makes it look like a gimmick but it doesn't have to be used that way.)

I think this is the first time I've been excited about a keyboard since... well, ever.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Planck EZ keyboard
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2020, 07:24 am »
Interesting, the lighting is an real improvement, seems they made a keyboard only for the English language, for what I could see for Latin and Euro languages seems there is missing some accent keys.
º  ª  ã  ê ´ ` ^ ~  Ç
I yet missing my  Microsoft M2000 Eronomic.
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Comfort-Curve-Keyboard-2000/dp/B0009ZBRS0

JohnR

Re: Planck EZ keyboard
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2020, 07:34 am »
I think they're probably there, you would need to enable the international keyset in the advanced options -