After market processor cooler

jules

After market processor cooler
« on: 26 Nov 2019, 10:21 pm »
Stuck in the middle of a bushfire zone with fires threatening from all directions, my intel  i7, gen 8 processor has taken to shutting down at temps. above ~27C, pah! Not convenient but a bit of googling seems to indicate this is not uncommon. I have to add that the the processor is not overclocked and overheats when doing bugger all.

I see there's a number of "bolt on" aftermarket options for desktops but obviously they're not going to fit into a laptop. I'd be quite happy to remove the bottom cover of my laptop, fit a very superior fan/heat sink and make a suitably creative base to house the whole thing.

Any suggestions?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: After market processor cooler
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2019, 12:14 am »
My guess a internal fix could be some work.   There are lots of cooling pads. 
This is just the first item that G came up with.
 https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/enhance-gx-c1-laptop-fan/apd/aa440223

Alan

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2019, 12:31 am »
Have you tried blowing out the cat hair with compressed air?

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2019, 12:44 am »
I would vacuum not blow.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2019, 01:30 am »
There is a spray to clean electronics.

jules

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2019, 01:44 am »
Thanks everyone  :D

I've tried all four, or maybe that's three, of those options.

A cooling pad isn't enough with bottom section of the case on.

Removing the animal hair was quite satisfying and helped a little but not enough.

Careful vacuuming also helped get gunk out but ....

I haven't yet tried removing the bottom of the case and using a fan pad and I expect this might work quite well. I calculate that blasting air over the outside of  the "shroud" that carries air internally from outside the computer via its internal fans to waft over the processor, might greatly help with heat dissipation but the problem is happening at a relatively low 27C and there's a fair chance that the summer temp. here will go above 35C and occasionally above 40C. I suspect that even with a fan pad and the bottom off the case, there'd still be problems. As I said above, this problem is happening even when the processor isn't working hard.

blazingsaddlez

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2020, 12:57 am »
I know a bit of times gone by, but have you tried a different thermal paste, such as Arctic MX-4?