The 10 Worst Foods you eat everyday

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
Re: The 10 Worst Foods you eat everyday
« Reply #140 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:08 am »
Science is useless to help people.

That quote just defines the Internet :D

Everything we have, we owe to Science. We only have food, water, clothes, soap etc, thanks to Science.

ctviggen

« Reply #141 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:36 am »

Everything we have, we owe to Science. We only have food, water, clothes, soap etc, thanks to Science.

We only have animals and rain to science?  Aren't animals food?  Don't those predate "science" by many, many millennia?

The problem with the "eat what you know is good" argument is that we've been corrupted and no longer "know" what's "good".  For instance, I used to keep my fat intake less than 10 % of my calories, because I thought this was "good" and certainly the common "knowledge" at the time was that this was good.  In fact, to this day, people still argue it is good.  I've been low carbing for a while now, and I'll look at two different items and in my mind, I'll choose the one with lower fat -- even though I no longer believe that fat (especially saturated fat) is bad (well, ok, maybe poly and mono unsaturated aren't as good for you as saturated fat is).  I've been inculcated with low fat dogma, even though the science (particularly actual studies where they put two groups on two different diets and not epidemiologic garbage) is against low fat. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #142 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:45 am »

Yes, we have some tech gadgets, some home confort, but no easy or cheap healing on cancer or aids etc
Medicine yet is expensive.

stevenkelby

« Reply #143 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:47 am »
We only have animals and rain to science?  Aren't animals food?  Don't those predate "science" by many, many millennia?

Maybe you missed my point. Farming is a technology. Technology is the application of science.

The fact we and our ancestors all survived child birth and lived long enough to breed is attributable to science.

Rain we can't thank science for. Well, maybe Acid rain :)

I'm not making a value judgment, just pointing out that most people are oblivious to how much they owe to science and technology, for better or worse.

To say that "Science is useless to help people" is either a troll or an in indication or something else. I'm not sure what :)

stevenkelby

« Reply #144 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:48 am »
Yes, we have some tech gadgets, some home confort, but no easy or cheap healing on cancer or aids etc
Medicine yet is expensive.

OK  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #145 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:06 am »
OK  :thumb:
I mean say medical science is useless to help people without money, unless one live in Cuba where the medicine is free.

Early B.

« Reply #146 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:19 am »
Why not?

You don't hear nutritionists or food experts speak about "healthy fried foods," especially deep fried. A simple google search will provide lots of answers.
Here's a quick read on why fried foods are bad for you:  http://www.outofstress.com/fried-food-facts/

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #147 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:30 am »
Someone had experience with titanium fry pan??  (to fry eggs and meat/steak)

stevenkelby

« Reply #148 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:37 am »
I have a couple sizes of the Scanpan CTX and think they are great:

http://www.everten.com.au/Scanpan-CTX-Sautepan32cm.html

Nothing will stick to them but I always cook with some oil or butter for flavor :)

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #149 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:41 am »
OK, thanks for inform.