Anyone have experience with Tinnitus?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Anyone have experience with Tinnitus?
« on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:03 pm »
On the way back from vacation last week I developed a slight ringing in one ear, like a very high-pitched tinkling bell that seems to be consistent with my pulse.

Haven't been to the doctor yet, and it's not loud enough to drive me nuts but it may cancel my plans to buy Maggie 3.7.   :cry:

Anyone dealt with this successfully?  I am 60 years old and usually protected my hearing, except occasionally when I play the system real loud.

timjthomas

Re: Anyone have experience with Tinnitus?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:08 pm »
I've had Tinnitus for as long as I can remember.  For the most part, it's at a fairly low level and not really noticeable unless it's very quiet.

I've essentially learned to live with it.  (There really is no alternative as far as I am aware.)

I would suggest seeing a doctor / audiologist to make sure it's not something else.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:17 pm »
Thanks so much!  I did have my ears checked for wax a few months ago, and both were clear.

I'll head to the Doc in a week or so.

'brick

groovybassist

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:24 pm »
I'm with Tim.  Have it in left ear.  It's noticeable at quiet times or if I focus on it, but I've learned to ignore it as well.  More of an annoyance than anything else.

doorman

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:36 pm »
I've had it for years, but time has made it easier to live with, simply because over the years, it's become my 'normal"
In some cases, it apparently can be linked to high blood pressure.
Good Luck with it, be sure to share anything relevant.
Best,
don

vclements

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:39 pm »
I was recently diagnosed with tinnitus. I am a photographer and forgot to bring my earplugs when photographing a 4hr rock music event (dumb!! :duh:). My right ear hasn't stopped ringing since.

It is more of a minor annoyance than anything else. It takes a bit to get used to but as mentioned it almost becomes the norm.
It doesnt bother my daily listening habits.
I just don't turn it up as loud and monitor SPL with an iPhone app.

Get it checked out and if it is tinnitus, just delay the maggies a bit until you get used to the tinnitus.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:46 pm »
Thanks so much, all.  Just like all the other body parts that are falling apart, I don't worry too much about adjusting to it.  As many of you say it just getting used to it.  Right now it's more a curiosity than a problem.

I have Maggie 1.6s now, and it would make it easier to justify not spending the cash on the 3.7s down the road.   :lol: