Best Sounding Jazz Recordings

audio.bill

Re: Best Sounding Jazz Recordings
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:08 pm »
The best sounding jazz recording I've ever heard is a Direct to Disc LP from 1976 on the East Wind label, titled "The Three". As you would expect it's a jazz trio which consists of Joe Sample, Ray Brown and Shelly Manne. Unlike many such audiophile recordings this one has superb performances of very engaging music. It was later re-issued as a standard LP (not D2D), but that version is a poor representation of the original. When the D2D LP is played on a high end system, most listeners are literally shocked at the dynamics and overall quality of the sound being recreated. Highly recommended if you can find a good copy!  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:06 am »
The best sounding jazz recording I've ever heard is a Direct to Disc LP from 1976 on the East Wind label, titled "The Three". As you would expect it's a jazz trio which consists of Joe Sample, Ray Brown and Shelly Manne. Unlike many such audiophile recordings this one has superb performances of very engaging music. It was later re-issued as a standard LP (not D2D), but that version is a poor representation of the original. When the D2D LP is played on a high end system, most listeners are literally shocked at the dynamics and overall quality of the sound being recreated. Highly recommended if you can find a good copy!  :thumb:
I have that one and must play it tonight.  Thanks.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:18 am »
I have that one and must play it tonight.  Thanks.
That's it. That's all I can take.  Next time my wife and I head to Houston to visit the in laws, I'm taking my suitcase and headed straight to Jim's place- moving in until I'm done listening to all of the gazillion rare lp's in his collection.  My wife can collect me on the way back home.  I'm guessing it will take about 5-8 days of listening.  Are you ready for houseguest, Jim?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:26 am »
Is a bean green?  I would enjoy your company and playing music, as always.  But, I can't accomodate you.  Can we get together for a day or evening?   I hope the answer is yes.

S Clark

« Reply #24 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:39 am »
Jimbo, I was tuggin' at your leg a bit there  :jester:, but I will let you know the next time I'm down your way to see I we could spin a few one evening.  I'll bring the vino.  Besides, I'm actually one of those lucky guys that enjoy their in-laws and look forward to seeing them. 

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:42 am »
88 Basie Street    XRCD
Bug Music        Don Byron
Invitation to Openness       Les McCann
That's How We Roll    Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:31 am »
An evening sounds fabulous.  Bring two bottles, eh?  Looking forward to it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:33 am »
88 Basie Street    XRCD
Bug Music        Don Byron
Invitation to Openness       Les McCann
That's How We Roll    Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band
Konut's gettin into some of the avant garde what with Don Byron and That's How We Roll is huge fun.

S Clark

« Reply #28 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:43 am »
Just happened to be listening to one of the classic great recordings of electronica/jazz from Flim and the BB's

simoon

« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2013, 10:06 pm »
I really like almost every thing on the ECM label.

Not only do I love the whole aesthetic of Manfred Eicher of choosing artists that refuse to be pigeonholed by genre, but the recording quality on most ECM releases is great.

The style of most ECM tends to be progressive without being 'free jazz'. Most of them are not typical jazz "head-solo-head" format with the other players accompanying the soloist. They integrate the solos into the entire texture of the music. During solos, the other players maintaine their own integrity both independently of, and in dialog with, the soloist

They were recorded on great equipment, with hardly any processing, and pressed on great quality vinyl. I have a few that were reissued on CD, and they took care to get them 'right'.

They are quiet, dynamic, image extremely well, with a deep soundstage.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 31 Mar 2013, 11:55 pm »
 :thumb:

neekomax

« Reply #31 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:11 am »
I really like almost every thing on the ECM label.

Not only do I love the whole aesthetic of Manfred Eicher of choosing artists that refuse to be pigeonholed by genre, but the recording quality on most ECM releases is great.

The style of most ECM tends to be progressive without being 'free jazz'. Most of them are not typical jazz "head-solo-head" format with the other players accompanying the soloist. They integrate the solos into the entire texture of the music. During solos, the other players maintaine their own integrity both independently of, and in dialog with, the soloist

They were recorded on great equipment, with hardly any processing, and pressed on great quality vinyl. I have a few that were reissued on CD, and they took care to get them 'right'.

They are quiet, dynamic, image extremely well, with a deep soundstage.

Cool Simoon. Could you recommend any specific albums on the ECM label? For reference, I like Dave Holland, Kurt Elling, Peter Erskine, Bill Evans, Ahmad Jamal, Kenny Burrell,  etc.

TIA, mate.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 1 Apr 2013, 07:08 pm »
Cool Simoon. Could you recommend any specific albums on the ECM label? For reference, I like Dave Holland, Kurt Elling, Peter Erskine, Bill Evans, Ahmad Jamal, Kenny Burrell,  etc.

TIA, mate.

Here's a darn good Dave Holland one.  Don't think any of those other cats you mentioned have recorded for ECM.

neekomax

« Reply #33 on: 1 Apr 2013, 07:19 pm »
Thanks Jim! Actually, I was just describing my current jazz tastes so as to give a sense of what might be an appropriate recco re: ECM stuff. But this'll do nicely!  :thumb:

neekomax

« Reply #34 on: 1 Apr 2013, 07:39 pm »
Downloading Manu Katché's Third Round in 24/88 right now. Psyched! Love his work, and Pino Palladino is on bass. YES!

watercourse

« Reply #35 on: 1 Apr 2013, 09:59 pm »
My reference discs:
New York Reunion on Chesky label - with Tyner, Foster, Carter, and Henderson. Al Foster's sound is finally captured!
Dear Miles - Ron Carter, Stephen Scott, Payton Crossley, and Roger Squitero
Folk Art - Joe Lovano and Us5

and speaking of Dave Holland:
Birds of a Feather - Roy Haynes
World Trio - Cinelu, Eubanks, and Holland

TimArruda

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2013, 03:27 pm »
I am constantly amazed by the recordings that Roy DuNann engineered for Contemporary Records. I have an original pressing of The Poll Winners with Barney Kessel, Ray Brown, and Shelly Manne and it sounds fantastic.  Others I have on Contemporary and would recommend:

You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce - Curtis Counce Quintet (I believe it was originally released as Councelation)
West Side Story - Andre Previn and His Pals Shelly Manne & Red Mitchell
All Night Session! (There are three volumes, I have 1 & 2 on vinyl and you can get all three on an OJC CD) - Hampton Hawes
Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section - Art Pepper
Way Out West - Sonny Rollins

Contemporary had some great musicians recording for them and Roy did an outstanding job capturing the sound.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2013, 04:07 pm »
I am constantly amazed by the recordings that Roy DuNann engineered for Contemporary Records. I have an original pressing of The Poll Winners with Barney Kessel, Ray Brown, and Shelly Manne and it sounds fantastic.  Others I have on Contemporary and would recommend:

You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce - Curtis Counce Quintet (I believe it was originally released as Councelation)
West Side Story - Andre Previn and His Pals Shelly Manne & Red Mitchell
All Night Session! (There are three volumes, I have 1 & 2 on vinyl and you can get all three on an OJC CD) - Hampton Hawes
Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section - Art Pepper
Way Out West - Sonny Rollins

Contemporary had some great musicians recording for them and Roy did an outstanding job capturing the sound.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2013, 04:25 pm »
Best Jazz recording there is:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3957 This SACD had a stunning lifelike musical presence, in fact some Jazz clubs I attend in the past were much worse sound than this recording, even being live music, due many people talk, drinks etc

Second place Jazz at Pawnshop:
http://www.sa-cd.net/search/jazz+at+pawnshop

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #39 on: 11 Apr 2013, 07:12 am »
Could you recommend any specific albums on the ECM label?

Charles Lloyd on ECM...good stuff. :wink:

"The Water Is Wide"

"Lift Every Voice"

"Jumping the Creek"

"Sangam"

All are best for late night - quiet time listening... :wink: