Opinions wanted on Camera for Macro work

cdub

« on: 8 May 2003, 02:11 pm »
I'm new to the field of photography.  My line of work calls for a digital camera with good macro capabilities.  I have read and gotten a few opinions reccomending the nikon coolpix 4500.  Do you guys have any opinions on this model or any reccomendations?

Chris

drphoto

« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2003, 03:51 pm »
How much can you spend? The Coolpix would not be my first choice.

You really need an SLR type camera w/ a Macro lens. The D100 or D1x would be a much better choice.

There should be a glut of these on the used market soon, with the advent of the 'super' cameras like the Kodak 14.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2003, 04:03 pm »
I bought a Fuji S2 as a backup and hadn't used it much. Well my assistant showed me images from a job he shot and I gotta say....the image quality kicks the crap out of those from the much more expensive D1x!!

The fact that the nominal file size is nearly twice as large certainly helps, but the Fuji uses a different CCD sensor that gives a smoother (while still tack sharp) image.

Highly recommended. Only $2200 new...and comes with software, plus both USB and Firewire cables. Uses Nikon lenses (CPU type only)

cdub

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2003, 03:34 am »
Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I am on a limitied budget of about 600-700.  I think an SLR is out of the question unfortunately.  I guess I'll have to keep looking...

navi

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2003, 03:37 pm »
I recommend the coolpix if you are on a budget esp. for macro work-as i have used the coolpix 995 (3megepix) few years back for macro work and it was great.

- hire a digicam to use first before you buy anything.

cdub

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2003, 06:10 pm »
Quote from: navi
I recommend the coolpix if you are on a budget esp. for macro work-as i have used the coolpix 995 (3megepix) few years back for macro work and it was great.

Do you guys have any opinions on the new canon G5 or nikon coolpix 5400?  I'm in field of dentistry, so that's why the macro ability is of importance to me.  Also I will be using this camera for general purpose as well.

navi

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2003, 10:44 am »
haven't used the G5 but i have played with the coolpix 5700 (that's good)
image quality is just as good (even better) as Nikkon D1x or canon D60.
'cause the lense on the coolpix is that good. i think the 5400 should be very much the same (image quality) as the 5700

navi.

djklmnop

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2003, 08:06 pm »
On ebay, you can find a large format camera setup  (4x5) for quite cheap.  One with sufficient bellows extension can get you pretty darn close.  With large format cameras, you also have the benefits of perspective controls through tilt/swings/rise/falls.

lo mein

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2003, 09:16 pm »
Quote from: cdub
Quote from: navi

Do you guys have any opinions on the new canon G5 or nikon coolpix 5400?  I'm in field of dentistry, so that's why the macro ability is of importance to me.  Also I will be using this camera for general purpose as well.

replying to the wrong post. Edited out here.

Sorry.

Alex

lo mein

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2003, 09:35 pm »
Quote from: djklmnop
On ebay, you can find a large format camera setup  (4x5) for quite cheap.  One with sufficient bellows extension can get you pretty darn close.  With large format cameras, you also have the benefits of perspective controls through tilt/swings/rise/falls.

Pardon me for jumping in.

I'd suggest using a Hasselblad  body(6cmx6cm), with an 4"x5" adaptor together.  In this case, you have the advantages of interchangable  medium format roll film magazine, instead of single shot large format magazine.  Plus the flexibility of the large format bellow, and front/back standards swings, tilts, rise/fall, image area coverage on the film plate, etc., plus eye-level through the lens composing, much easier lighting, less chances for the possibility of uneven film/back plate contact pressure in the large format film magazine - which will cause focusing/distortion problems, etc. Plus, with the lens for 4x5. You can get a hugh magnification on the 6cmx6cm film. Without going for the macro speciality lens -- Very expensive for medium/large formats.

Something around a 250mm - 300mm 4"x5" lens ('normal'  by 4x5 standards.)will do, with this set up, if you have enough bellow extention. You can rent the lenses when needed.

Also, unless you do your own processing. Large formats are next to impossible to find a commercial lab for processing. You'll need to find a real professional photo-lab catered to the graphic art industries. Which means very expensive. And if you need to scan the image, you'll probably need commercial drum scanner, like those for making movie posters.

And you 'll end up with two different superb camera systems for other uses.

My old Sinar works perfectly together with my Hasselblad.

The Hasselblad can also uses a polariod film back.

BTW.  Use ring light for close up technical works.

Alex

djklmnop

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2003, 08:47 am »
I would also like to put in a second consideration.  If you're on a budget and need portabilility, you should just pick up a Minolta Maxxum 5 and a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Micro.  The Maxxum 5 has all the features you need including spot meter, other than that, its nothing more than a body to house your film and lens.  As for the Tamron, I hear it's an extraordinary lens for the money and it gives you 1:1 magnification.  

Good luck.
Andy

Chops

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2003, 02:43 pm »
I actually work in the camera/photography industry, and for macro work, I would go with the CoolPix 4500. REMEMBER PEOPLE, there is a $600-$700 budget here!

Since I have access to 95% of the equipment mentioned here already, I highly recommend the 4500. For the money, ease of use, and flexability, it is the only one that ranks on the top. I have sold plenty of the CoolPix 950, 990, 995, and 4500s to dentists and eye doctors with the new Nikon SL-1 ring light which is essential for macro-photography. I know of NO other digital camera on the market right now that can get you the type of macro shots you need other than the above CoolPix's.

I would forget about an SLR with a macro lens considering you will spend at least $500 just on the lens. And I would definantly forget about medium format cameras since they are a dying breed. Not to mention trying to find a good medium format body for under a $1000, without a lens!

Take it from someone who knows a wide range of cameras and specs, has access to most of them every day, and that works on the sales/business side of photography as well as behind the camera. I know what moves and what doesn't. It's my job to recommend the right equipment for the right job.

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2003, 06:57 pm »
Chops,

Any suggestions on good internet retailers to pick up a Nikon Cool Pix 4500 w/ the Nikon SL-1 ring light?  This discussion has me wanting to break down and get my first digital camera.  Have plenty of experience with my old FM3 - a very trusty, though a bit heavy manual slr.

NB

Chops

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2003, 07:30 pm »
Quote from: nature boy
Chops,

Any suggestions on good internet retailers to pick up a Nikon Cool Pix 4500 w/ the Nikon SL-1 ring light?  This discussion has me wanting to break down and get my first digital camera.  Have plenty of experience with my old FM3 - a very trusty, though a bit heavy manual slr.

NB

Just do a search on the web for "coolpix 4500 retail" and I'm sure you'll find something.  :wink: