Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

nyc_paramedic

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #380 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:39 am »
One thing I noticed is on my setup - if I keep everything on,
when I come back after a few hours, I am not able to talk to
the ALIX from the IPAD.  I don't know if it the IPAD, ALIX or
file server is down.  However, if I reboot the ALIX it all comes back.

Do you experience that?
Are there any power settings or sleep I can adjust on the ALIX?

Do you power down the file server at all?

jkelly

« Reply #381 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:40 am »
No everything stays up.
I bet it is the ipad - next time I will try the gmpc from a desktop and see if it is up.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #382 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:45 am »
No everything stays up.
I bet it is the ipad - next time I will try the gmpc from a desktop and see if it is up.

The only time I have issues is when the Alix is powered on but my NFS server is shut down. It's not really an MPD issue as more of a mount and NFS issue. The Alix is looking for music but can't mount the remote share.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #383 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:18 am »
Jeff, Are you using MPAD?  If so, how is it?  How does it respond and feel vs Apple Remote/Mac Mini?  Overall, are you missing anything from the MAc Mini server side, sonically and/or functionally?

jkelly

« Reply #384 on: 14 Mar 2011, 03:42 am »
I would like a week of playing with this before I land on any final comparison of sound.
I started this yesterday and finished today so I don't have a lot of listening time in.

I would be comfortable in saying that both the sound provided by Alix and the Mpad
control is very similar to the Mac Mini / Remote experience.  It is gonna take some serious
A/B to figure the +/-.  One thing is for sure - on either system - using an iPad as a remote
to your entire music collection is awesome.  It's amazing how the listening experience is
changing with computer audio.

If I already had a NAS and a USB Dac I would easily drop the $120 for the Alix.
I am not saying it is better, but that it is a tremendous value.

I have a number of Linux machines and servers in the house so I could make
decent progress.  I think it would be a little tough if it were my first experience
with linux.  The guys in the thread have been really helpful.

I'll get back on this.

TomS

« Reply #385 on: 14 Mar 2011, 05:25 pm »
Here is a shot of my current Alix sambich setup.

MikeG's comments made me think harder about it, so I put the much heavier KECES 12v power supply on top using Isolpad type of devices (rubber/cork/rubber) on top and bottom, then placed it on top of the wood plinth, then to the granite plate on spikes (within the stand). Overall this thing simply sounds awesome, especially with the linear PS.

Tom

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #386 on: 14 Mar 2011, 05:36 pm »
Tom et al,
I hope you guys know that those Isolpads are really just furnace pads, and are $.25 a piece.   :thumb:

http://www.pexsupply.com/DiversiTech-MP-2C-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #387 on: 14 Mar 2011, 05:42 pm »
Tom et al,
I hope you guys know that those Isolpads are really just furnace pads, and are $.25 a piece.   :thumb:

http://www.pexsupply.com/DiversiTech-MP-2C-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

:nono:  Not if you change the name and sell for mucho dinero on an audio site.   :lol:

TomS

« Reply #388 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:23 pm »
Tom et al,

I think mine came from McMaster-Carr actually  :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #389 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:30 pm »
Tom, in the voice of Steve Martin from "The Jerk".....
the new CF card is here, the CF card is here   :hyper:

What do I do now?   :)

mgalusha

« Reply #390 on: 15 Mar 2011, 12:54 am »
What do I do now?   :)

I'd just put the card in, connect the ethernet cable to the jack nearest the power jack and usb ports, power it up and check your router in a couple minutes to see if it shows up. It should, assuming I didn't screw up the card image but it's the same one I use.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #391 on: 15 Mar 2011, 12:58 am »
check your router in a couple minutes to see if it shows up.

How does one do that?   :scratch:

JDUBS

« Reply #392 on: 15 Mar 2011, 01:05 am »
How does one do that?   :scratch:

I would go to your router's setup screen and see what devices are connected to it.  You should see one for the Alix.

-Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #393 on: 15 Mar 2011, 01:07 am »
I'd just put the card in, connect the ethernet cable to the jack nearest the power jack and usb ports, power it up and check your router in a couple minutes to see if it shows up. It should, assuming I didn't screw up the card image but it's the same one I use.

It did.  I reserved it the IP address of 192.168.0.188, and reserved my Main pc (which has my hopefully-networked music drive on it) as 192.168.0.197.  I have Putty installed and now WinSCP.  I'm awaiting a chat (with Tom) where he can tell me what to prepare or look for, before I try to do the next steps.  I'd rather get all my necessary stuff in front of me than make this a 20 step audit trail.   When I try Putty and put in the Alix IP address it asks for log in id and password (?) so I guess that's progress.  :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #394 on: 15 Mar 2011, 01:10 am »
I would go to your router's setup screen and see what devices are connected to it.  You should see one for the Alix.

-Jim

First the DCX and now this...I'm as lost as an Easter Egg.   :duh:

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #395 on: 15 Mar 2011, 01:32 am »
It did.  I reserved it the IP address of 192.168.0.188, and reserved my Main pc (which has my hopefully-networked music drive on it) as 192.168.0.197.  I have Putty installed and now WinSCP.  I'm awaiting a chat (with Tom) where he can tell me what to prepare or look for, before I try to do the next steps.  I'd rather get all my necessary stuff in front of me than make this a 20 step audit trail.   When I try Putty and put in the Alix IP address it asks for log in id and password (?) so I guess that's progress.  :)

user: root
password: voyage

Once your logged in create a normal user by typing adduser $name, i.e., adduser nick or whatever. Then it will ask you to pick a password.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #396 on: 15 Mar 2011, 01:49 am »
Logged on but when adduser, says something about not now, can't open , exiting.  BTW, how does one copy and paste to here?  When I highlighted and right clicked it thought I was executing again and duplicated all my rows

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #397 on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:46 am »
Logged on but when adduser, says something about not now, can't open , exiting.  BTW, how does one copy and paste to here?  When I highlighted and right clicked it thought I was executing again and duplicated all my rows

Oops. Do the remountrw command first to be able to write to the compact flash.

Re Highlighting: No right click in Unix/Linux land. Just highlight to copy, then middle click to paste. (I've always found that much easier than in Windows land...)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #398 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:10 am »
Did it.  Thanks.  Didn't fill in the full name/room/work info, just left it blank.  Tom and I will chat tmrw night and I'm hoping I can see my networked drive, etc.  I'm optimistic even getting this far.  :)

Thx again

jkelly

« Reply #399 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:25 am »
Voyage has the 4gb pre-made CF's available on their webstore.

Jeff