Comparison of Roon vs Aurender

Bingenito

Comparison of Roon vs Aurender
« on: 23 May 2023, 10:14 am »
I have been using Roon in several systems for a while now and love the user interface, ability to group and sync systems, etc. That said a few friends and dealers have mentioned that Roon is a tad aggressive when they test back to back. I did some reading and it looks like it depends how the streamer or DAC manufacturer implements Roon.

Having been very pleased with my DAC acting as a Roon endpoint I was never really motivated to try anything new as that general costs money and with the economy right now that is a risk to buy something and then have to sell it at a loss. That is until one of my dealers offered to ship me an Aurender N20 and various cables to test. I am not one to turn down free steak, audio gear or money so I accepted and performed probably the most agonizing test that I have ever done in a HiFi system.

I performed the test a few ways...
- Long term listening to device A and then B
- 1 min A/ 1 min B with just a button press on my DAC remote (Eyes closed)
- Invited friends and neighbors over who don't know and do not care about audio (Referred to the Aurender as Hardware/ Roon as Software)

What was the outcome?
It really depends on the type of music and your listening preferences. On some tracks I could go either way. On the near perfect recordings (the 1%) I would give a slight nod to Roon and my DAC as an endpoint. Probably more "technically correct" and a clear view into the recording. At the other end of the spectrum the above AVG audiophile recordings sound fuller and more round on the Aurender output to the same DAC. This really is a beneficial trait on Jazz recordings with brass instruments as Roon seems to have this squeaky clean glare or sustain on brass.

AVG recordings, classic rock should relaxed enough to enjoy on a highly resolving system. So I suppose the punchline is that if your system is highly resolving you may benefit from trying a Non-Roon solution and see what you prefer.

In the end I went with the N20 and SR cables with gold bullets. Smooth, super holographic and good bass slam. Still plan to use Roon to sync systems and jam out for non-critical listening.

System:
- Room 30x18 treated by GIK
- Electrical 3 dedicated circuits to MSB spec with aftermarket outlets
- Power conditioner- Puritan 156 for front end only
- Ethernet SR UEF Switch and cable to Aurender N20
- MSB Reference DAC and Digital Director
- MSB M205 monos
- Estelon X Diamond MKII