Replacing a 2012 Mac Mini

ebag4

Replacing a 2012 Mac Mini
« on: 27 Feb 2022, 07:38 pm »
I have been running my system using a Mac Mini server for several years.  I run Roon with flac and dsd files from a synology NAS as well as stream from Tidal.  I play via a micro rendu into a Vinnie Rossi DHT LIO with a DAC 2.0, as well as directly from the Mac Mini into a RME DAC pre in a second system, these setups have always been rock solid.

I have started having an issue with the Mac Mini, so I am beginning to investigate where to go next.  I haven’t kept up with this of late and don’t know where the technology is today.  I know of the NUC, is this the best solution for Roon users?  Do one of the Innuous units offer superior sound?  Recommendations are appreciated.  I haven’t decided on a budget but somewhere in the 1-2k range (or less) would be my preference.

Thanks,
Ed

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Replacing a 2012 Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2022, 10:01 pm »
At this point, the new M1 macMini would be a solid choice, but the software you use should be native.

I have a mid-2010 macMini and, except for some issue which causes the machine to crash after many, many hours, it has been a rock-solid source.

In between would be scoring a used Intel macMini. You are really only interestd in 8GB RAM and reliability.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2022, 12:52 am »
I have started having an issue with the Mac Mini, so I am beginning to investigate where to go next.  I haven’t kept up with this of late and don’t know where the technology is today.  I know of the NUC, is this the best solution for Roon users?

I think probably in most cases. Here's Roon's page with info about what NUC to use etc:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit#ROCK_For_Small_to_Medium-Sized_Libraries

If you've been fine with a 2012 mini you will be fine with an i3. The i7 doesn't give you more performance on a single stream, but it will enable multiple streams if running (very) heavy DSP. You will notice that their recommendations are 10th gen and not the current 11th gen. This is because they haven't yet updated ROCK to boot on UEFI.

NUCs are not silent, they are generally fairly quiet at idle but the fan spins up whenever they need to do any work, like indexing the library. In cases where this is a problem there are aftermarket passive cases.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2022, 01:14 am »
That tells us nothing.

And it doesn’t sau anywhere else.

That it runs under iOS means they do have an ARM codebase.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2022, 01:33 am »
That tells us nothing.

And it doesn’t sau anywhere else.

That it runs under iOS means they do have an ARM codebase.

I don't understand what you're saying. The page is Roon's info on installing ROCK on supported hardware (i.e. a NUC).

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:38 am »
It sasy nothing about Mx support on the Mac. so one assumes it is Intel. That will run under emulation (Rosetta), and that might cause issues. You will have to ask them about native M1 support.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:15 am »
Right, the page has nothing to do with M1 Macs, ARM, or Macs at all for that matter. It's about installing Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC. Info provided for ebag4 in response to his question (which I quoted).
:)

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:25 am »
Not that page, the DOwnload page. Or anywhere else.

dave

avta

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2022, 02:35 pm »
I've done a similar thing as you but when I decided to upgrade the computer I went with an iMac. Fewer cables, monitor etc.  Handles Roon well.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:46 pm »
If all you are using is Roon, then a dedicated NUC with R-core based linear power supply will give you the best sound.  More fussy to get set up but a lot more stable and much better sound.

arthur

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:56 pm »
I’ve been running Roon on a Mac Mini M1. All my music is on an HDD. The Roon core is in the M1 ssd. The Mac Mini is connected to a router via an Ethernet cable. The data from the core flows through the cable into a router.  To the same router I have connected a RPi4 running RoPieeeXL. My DAC (Gustard x16) is connected to the RPi4.

Everything is very stable, runs very smoothly, and sounds great. All the audio from the Mac flows through that stream. When using web browsers, the commands play and pause have a couple of seconds of delay, but the synch and everything is great.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:49 pm »
Thanx, that is what we needed to know. ie No worries.

dave

ebag4

« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2022, 05:25 am »
I appreciate the information, thanks.  I picked up a wired keyboard so I could run some diagnostics, it made it through all of the hardware checks then froze on the harddrive test.  Tried it a few more times starting with the HDD test, it has failed completely.  Unfortunately I cannot find my backup for the mini.  Since I will e starting from scratch regarding setup I will be deciding between repairing the Mac Mini or going with a NUC.

Best,
Ed

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2022, 07:42 am »
If it's just the hard drive then put in an SSD and you'll be good to go. Opening it up is only mildly tricky, there are guides on ifixit (and they will sell the tools needed). OWC also I expect.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2022, 02:14 pm »
Tough to beat a new Mac Mini for under $600.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2022, 02:18 pm »
I am thinking about moving my CD library to a Mac mini. Should I put my music on an external SSD?

arthur

« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2022, 02:26 pm »
SSD’s are great but still vey expensive if you go past 2TB. So it depends on the size of your library and budget. At this point, I think the best bet is to find a way to keep an external HDD outside of a listening room and have the computer run on SSD.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2022, 03:18 pm »
SSD’s are great but still vey expensive if you go past 2TB. So it depends on the size of your library and budget. At this point, I think the best bet is to find a way to keep an external HDD outside of a listening room and have the computer run on SSD.

This is what I do, although not with a Mac.  I actually have 1/2 of my music on an external SSD connected to my player, and then mount the other half onto the player from my main computer via NFS.  It works very well, and unless you have network issues inside you house (for example an insufficient wifi signal) it should work for anyone.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 4 Mar 2022, 03:24 pm »
Should I put my music on an external SSD?

All depends if you do regular backups. Current info about how long SSDs last is between 5-10 years, my experience is only 5 years. When a SSD fails it is catastrophically without warning. HDDs start acting wonky and give you plenty of time to replace the drive.

Clear Disk Info is free software that provides a easy to understand health related information about SSD and HDD including percent of lifetime remaining.
https://www.carifred.com/cleardiskinfo/

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2022, 03:30 pm »
All depends if you do regular backups.

I should have mentioned that I also keep multiple backups across multiple RAID implementations.  You are right, it is crucial to have backups!  Even if you retain the original source material it can take a huge amount of time to re-rip or digitize everything if your single-point-of-failure disk dies.

I am right now looking for a off-site location to store a copy...