Absolute streaming luddite needs help.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Absolute streaming luddite needs help.
« on: 25 Nov 2021, 08:14 pm »
I have been using logitech music server and a logitech transporter for nearly 10 years. I am wondering if there is anything out there that is easy to use?  I want To be able to put software on my computer or else use J River and simply connect to a streamer that I will connect to my audio system without having to do programming.  Not looking to do mqa or higher than 24/96.  Just sendmy files to a streamer and go.  Does that even exist anymore?  Any help appreciated.
Regards,

Doublej

Re: Absolute streaming luddite needs help.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2021, 11:07 pm »
Please verify that this will work the way you want it to.

I think the simplest thing to do is to use a macOS or Windows based computer connected to an external USB DAC. Run JRiver Media Center on the computer and use JRiver JRemote for control.

Music files are stored on the computer's hard driver or an external drive connected to the computer.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2021, 12:12 am »
I also use JRiver.

I have one of HAL's dedicated computers (a few $000) with a solid state buffer hard drive with JRiver installed. I've been using this for years and it runs great. My music is on a 5 TB external HD plugged into the computer and the output goes straight to my Bricasti dac. And as DJ said, if you have a phone or tablet you can download JRemote and run all the tunes with it. I use an old iPad strictly for this because it is large enough to hang onto.

I put a monitor next to my seat so I can add music to the files or make playlists easier than with the remote but it is very nice to have the tablet play the music for you. Searching in JRiver is easy and I have probably 30 playlists built up.

Many of us passed through the Logictech phase and onto "streaming". Although, I do not subscribe to any services and route them through the computer right now. I have a XM Xirius receiver downstairs for background music and I discovered my LG Oled TV can play my JRiver playlists.

When you look at some of the servers out there they are essentially doing the same thing in one box as they often use their own dacs (could be good or could be mediocre) and hardly ever have the storage space onboard so you're back to having an external HD again. Since many of us want to control each piece and maximize pieces according to our budget, separate dacs can make sense. Once you invest in one of those a dedicated computer stripped of useless nonsense will play music of all fidelities.

I used to use EAC to copy CD's but have found the JRiver tool to be so easy, it even grabs the artwork for you.

I could give you some set-up screens to mirror to set this up I made some time ago. The forum for JRiver is pretty good but large and sometimes daunting.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2021, 12:28 am »
I have dacs with usb inputs.  My question is how I get the files from the dac to the network and then the preamp?
I guess I need a dac I can connect to wifi and then send the output to the preamp.  As you can tell, I have made no
Effort to stay current with technology.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2021, 12:37 am »
I have dacs with usb inputs.  My question is how I get the files from the dac to the network and then the preamp?
I guess I need a dac I can connect to wifi and then send the output to the preamp.  As you can tell, I have made no

I am not sure what you mean. In a typical setup, the music files are 'retrieved' by the computer and sent using usb to the DAC. The DAC is connected to the preamp using an RCA or balanced cable.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2021, 12:44 am »
With the system I am familiar with, I hhave logitech music server on my laptop, which sends music via my
network via wifi to my logitech transporter or touch which then is connected to my preamp via rca’s.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2021, 12:56 am »
I'm guessing the wifi limits your top end of fidelity allowed.

computer/with JR>>>dac>>>preamp          JRemote speaks wirelessly to the computer, or connect a monitor and mouse to the computer and run music that way
   ^
   ^
   ^
music hard drive

All hard wired if you want to go up to DSD music

Big Red Machine

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2021, 01:42 am »
Now I get it. Your Logitech Transporter is a wireless audio receiver. To the best of my knowledge there are not many wireless receiver choices available that are audiophile quality. The widely available products use either Bluetooth  or Airplay.

The NuPrime Omnia Stream Mini might work using DLNA with JRiver. NuPrime also has a few other more sophisticated devices that may work as well.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2021, 04:22 am »
You can make an improvement over your current setup with something like the Bluesound Node 2i. (https://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2i/) It can connect to your network wirelessly or be hardwired if you can get Ethernet to it. It has a built in dac that isn't very good, but has an s/pfif digital output you can send to your dac that will handle files up to 24/192 and sounds pretty good compared to what you're currently using (imo).

hibuckhobby

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2021, 01:00 pm »
appreciate the advice and suggestions.  I'll be looking into them.
regards,
Hibuck...

mboxler

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2021, 02:13 pm »

Are you unhappy with LMS, or are you just looking for a way to use your USB DAC?

In case you're not aware, there is a plugin you can install on you SB Touch...

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

I installed it a month or so ago.  It turns your Touch's USB port into an output, so you can connect it to a USB DAC.  In my case it's a Topping D10s.

Not sure if it supports all USB DACs though. 

Mike

hibuckhobby

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2021, 03:53 pm »
Yes, I did that some time ago.  I am not unhappy, especially with the Transporter, which at the time was a very
high dollar piece.  More of looking to downsize, simplify, since one day this will go to my kids, who are far more
interested in small, one piece things like the Naim Atom. 
Hibuck….

avta

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2021, 09:33 pm »
You might consider an integrated amplifier. It would contain the dac, preamp  and amplifier. you would connect it to a computer via USB and use a software player on the computer. I currently use an iMac with Roon software. You would connect the speakers to the integrated amp. There are many good quality integrated amps available in a wide price range. I happen to like the Nuprime units particularly the IDA 8  ( https://www.nuprime.com ) there are many others.

phleeb

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2021, 04:56 pm »
I think you meant https://nuprimeaudio.com/

avta

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2021, 06:39 pm »
I did thanks

Lefatshe

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2022, 11:57 pm »
I agree with prior posts that using an Ethernet connection to a Transporter improves SQ.  Unless you have a great system, the Transporter has a very fine DAC for streaming. If you want to simplify but improve the DAC then, yes, focus on the newer streamers with highly rated DACs. But if the Transporter is still operating, I find it very functional.

I have 2 Transporters streaming in 2 systems, so music is playing virtually all day -- now that I'm retired.  Both are connected to a 'main' computer that stores my 2,000+ ripped CDs.  I have digital out SPIDF coaxial cable going a Mark Levinson (Madrigal Audio Group) 360s DAC, based on the legendary Burr Brown 1704 chip in one system.  I often do A/B listening to the difference in the other system between the Transporter DAC and a Benchmark dac1 that was modded by Empirical Audio. Again slight difference. 

LMS supports many streaming services.  I have used MOG, then Spotify, and tried TIDAL. I also have the LMS link to BandCamp to stream called Band Campout and others like Pandora, Live Music Archive, etc. With app Squeeze Commander on my Android phone I can control the Transporters from basically anywhere in the house.  Any laptop in the house can connect to LMS and control the music, and the SB3 and the Touch that I have operating wirelessly.