My New Vinyl Adventure--Building a Turntable

Rocket

Re: My New Vinyl Adventure--Building a Turntable
« Reply #120 on: 14 Oct 2016, 11:15 am »
Hi Achipo,

Thanks for your post as it was really interesting to read about your build.  I'm feeling very envious of your skills.

Hope it sounds great.

Cheers Rod

ACHiPo

« Reply #121 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:35 pm »
Hi Achipo,

Thanks for your post as it was really interesting to read about your build.  I'm feeling very envious of your skills.

Hope it sounds great.

Cheers Rod
Rod,
Thanks!  It was a fun challenge and I'm loving the way it sounds.
AC

Bob Stark

« Reply #122 on: 9 Jan 2017, 03:50 am »
AC,
     Very nice job.  If you want a significant improvement in sound, you should get the JTN string/weight mod from Jean Nantais.  I have the Mirko bearing, Audiosaliente idler wheel, and most of the other Lenco thread upgrades.  By far, the JTN s/w mod made the biggest improvement.  It replaces the spring that pulls the idler wheel to the drive shaft by using a weight at the end of the string that hangs down so it pulls the wheel snugly to the drive shaft and platter.  It takes about 30 minutes to install.  I have the Platter Ground from Star Sound Technologies coming this week.  It functions for the TT what the Sistrum racks and platforms do for the sound--make it more live, dynamic, transparent and real.  I have all my components on the Sistrum rack and my speakers are on the SP-101s also.  This eliminates the use of a weight but is said to make a great difference in live sound.  It sits over the spindle but doesn't touch it.  Robert at SST says you will hear much more information from the record.  Everything he has told me has been true about draining the mechanical vibrations quickly to the ground and the difference it will make in sound.  These 2 items will make a BIG combined difference in the quality of the sound.  The JTN mod is $75 and the Platter Ground costs $199.

ACHiPo

« Reply #123 on: 12 Jan 2017, 04:53 am »
AC,
     Very nice job.  If you want a significant improvement in sound, you should get the JTN string/weight mod from Jean Nantais.  I have the Mirko bearing, Audiosaliente idler wheel, and most of the other Lenco thread upgrades.  By far, the JTN s/w mod made the biggest improvement.  It replaces the spring that pulls the idler wheel to the drive shaft by using a weight at the end of the string that hangs down so it pulls the wheel snugly to the drive shaft and platter.  It takes about 30 minutes to install.  I have the Platter Ground from Star Sound Technologies coming this week.  It functions for the TT what the Sistrum racks and platforms do for the sound--make it more live, dynamic, transparent and real.  I have all my components on the Sistrum rack and my speakers are on the SP-101s also.  This eliminates the use of a weight but is said to make a great difference in live sound.  It sits over the spindle but doesn't touch it.  Robert at SST says you will hear much more information from the record.  Everything he has told me has been true about draining the mechanical vibrations quickly to the ground and the difference it will make in sound.  These 2 items will make a BIG combined difference in the quality of the sound.  The JTN mod is $75 and the Platter Ground costs $199.
Bob,
Thanks.  I've read about the string/weight mod, but have also read that it shouldn't make a difference ('course that doesn't mean it doesn't).  Good to hear your positive results.

AC