PS4 features new DTS 7.1 streaming codec

Rclark

PS4 features new DTS 7.1 streaming codec
« on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:05 am »
Another feather in ps4's cap. Xbox One does not have this same capability.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/19/ps4-is-the-first-device-in-the-world-to-include-new-dts-hd-master-audio7-1-decoder/

"DTS, Inc. announced with a press release that PS4 owners have something extra to look forward to from their new console in terms of audio fidelity, as the PS4 is the very first consumer electronics device in the world to include the new and shiny DTS-HD Master Audio|7.1 decoder.The new decoder allows the delivery of 7.1 audio data at the enormous bit rate of 512 Kb per seconds, which basically means that streamed audio will be as near as possible to lossless, provided that the user has a high-bandwidth internet connection.DTS Executive Vice President and COO Brian Towne accompanied the press release with a statement:Today, there are more than a couple of ways for consumers to access and enjoy entertainment content. Millions of consumers rely on their gaming consoles to serve as their hub for accessing digital content services, holding the expectation that these devices will deliver the same quality video and audio experience that they receive when gaming or watching Blu-ray discs. By featuring DTS’ new DTS-HD Master Audio|7.1 technology, PS4 owners will be able to enjoy the same high-definition 7.1 surround sound experience received on Blu-ray from streaming and VOD services.Below you can find an official description of the feature:DTS-HD Master Audio|7.1 is the latest delivery profile under the DTS-HD technology portfolio of advanced audio solutions for next-generation content. Designed to deliver the highest quality surround sound experience possible from both physical and digital media,this new decoder supports streamed and downloaded content featuring DTS-HD-encoded audio tracks, as well as optical disc media with soundtracks produced in all DTS formats including DTS-HD Master Audio."

- so if you have 7.1 headphones you're set for multiplayer. And get ready for 7.1 high quality streamed audio for Netflix, Amazon, Vudu HD, Redbox Instant, Hulu, Crackle, CrunchyRoll, and YuppTv, etc, and gaming.

Sony, the inventor of numerous technologies such as the Walkman, the Compact Disc, and Bluray, have always made sure their consoles have superior audio capabilities versus their competitors.

Should be noted that Ps4 already supports regular DD and DTS modes, etc, for Bluray. This extends that capability to streamed audio, for those unclear what this is about.

*my ps4 review still in progress.  This is just breaking news.

Rclark

Re: PS4 features new DTS 7.1 streaming codec
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:43 am »
Addendum: there are rumors that HBO GO will become available on PS4, and also rumored that Sony is in talks with, I wanna say Viacom (?), to allow PS4 to become a streaming cable box for all channels.

So, this codec makes a lot of sense.

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2013, 01:35 am »
Xbox One does not have this same capability.

Where is your proof in this statement.  I just did a quick internet search, and there is no definitive evidence of how each console sounds, or capabilities in the audio spectrum that trumps the other major console coming out in 11/2013.

RClark, please be more conscious of your postings.  I stated in the now locked thread (PS4vsXb1) that this kind of hyperbole will not be allowed.  This will be your last warning. 
I look forward to your review of the PS4 as a gaming platform and its audio capabilities.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:24 am »
Because they would have announced it. Please read the whole post, link, and digest before you respond.

Please keep your butthurt out of my threads. I realize you must work for Microsoft or have some vested interest in downplaying all the hardware advantages of ps4, but please,  stop.

There's no hyperbole, only facts. I would ask you to stop with the Microsoft Defense Force bs.

If you can't remain unbiased I suggest this board needs a new moderator.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2013, 03:46 am »
Wow.......I have been loosely following this thread and the original and it has gotten a bit out of hand. While I realize both platforms have their fan boys, geez..........they're frikking entertainment systems and thankfully both have their differences that will likely divide people's choices. Competition is a good thing! And we all know that technical superiority doesn't really mean much if content is lacking. Not saying this is a problem for Sony or Xbox. It is just a fact and another point that will divide people's choices.

With all that said, I must admit that it has been hard to read the "facts" in the thread when they're riddled with jabs at Microsoft, even if the jabs are based on facts. I'm not a fan boy of either system or company, but have been following the thread as I'm interested in a PS4 or Xbox One eventually becoming an entertainment hub in my household. The thread shouldn't be "PS4 vs XBox One", it should've just been titled something like, "Why you should be interested in the PS4." Honestly, how can one have a truly informative thread called "PS4 vs Xbox One," when the Xbox One isn't even out yet? So, I have to agree with the moderator on that point. And lets take a step back here, we all know that both systems will evolve A LOT within the first couple of years. So judging either system at this point is like trying to judge whether or not a baby will be the next Lebron James.

I haven't been part of a heated discussion, let alone read one, about game system superiority since the very early days of the Sega Genesis vs the Super Nintendo, or perhaps before that with the Sega Master System vs the original Nintendo. Whoa. That was a LONG time ago........like well over 20 years ago.

Let's get back to being respectful to each other and acting more like adults. Keep the thread clean or rename it something that makes more sense, like "Why you should be interested in a PS4." That way, Xbox fan boys will know that the thread is not for them and perhaps it will help avoid the ridiculous game system superiority argument / personal superiority argument. Perhaps it will prompt someone else to start a separate "Why you should be interested in an Xbox One" thread. :thumb:

Rooster19

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2013, 03:55 am »
The important thing about rclark is he provides fair and unbiased commentary  :roll:

My rambling thoughts:

I had both the ps3 and xbox 360, and have a ps4. The main advantage so far, as I see it, is the cost.

The controller, while much better than the dual shock 3, still isn't as good as the 360's (if you have normal to big sized men's hands anyway)

Graphics are better than last generation, but (thus far) not enough to really make you take notice.

The ps3 ui is better and faster.

I previously would have given the edge in online experience to MS, but I think they really dropped the ball when they moved on from the "blades".

In the end, it'll come down to exclusives. Thus far - with titian fall - I actually like Microsofts better, but sony has whatever naughty dog is cooking up

Again, for me, it came down to the extra $100, though with a kid who us entering video game age, I'm still considering checking out the xbone and what kinetic can offer for children's games

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2013, 03:56 am »
 :green:

Thank you.

I'm no fanboy either. I choose whatever is best. I'm an enthusiast, and just like with my audio hobby, I'm interested in best performance for my money,  not legacy tradition.

Trust me, if the situation was reversed, just change the names, I'd be championing x1 and laughing at ps4.

A distinction: I am allowed that.  Moderators are not. Moderators should not be in the business of protecting a manufacturer.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2013, 03:57 am »
The important thing about rclark is he provides fair and unbiased commentary  :roll:

My rambling thoughts:

I had both the ps3 and xbox 360, and have a ps4. The main advantage so far, as I see it, is the cost.

The controller, while much better than the dual shock 3, still isn't as good as the 360's (if you have normal to big sized men's hands anyway)

Let's see some pis  :thumb:
Graphics are better than last generation, but (thus far) not enough to really make you take notice.

The ps3 ui is better and faster.

I previously would have given the edge in online experience to MS, but I think they really dropped the ball when they moved on from the "blades".

In the end, it'll come down to exclusives. Thus far - with titian fall - I actually like Microsofts better, but sony has whatever naughty dog is cooking up

Again, for me, it came down to the extra $100, though with a kid who us entering video game age, I'm still considering checking out the xbone and what kinetic can offer for children's games

Sure, lets see pics of your launch ps4  :thumb:

(The ps3 is not better and faster, :wink:) I have a ps3 on hdmi 1. Lol

Question. Do roosters like astroturf, jr?

Woodsea

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2013, 03:58 am »
Because they would have announced it.... is not proof.  There are still non disclosure agreements out until this Friday on the XB1.

Your threads are in my domain.  Every single one of your posts, (slightly exaggerated) is a shot against the xbox.  Not one of your comments has been even keeled in its views of either major console coming out this month. 
In the last thread I argued more upgradeability, like the Steam.  In regards to my Microsoft affiliation and any other investments, I lost my grandiose ;) investment in 3Dfx.   I have not had a PC since 2007, and never worked for M$ in anyway.  I never had a nintendo console, my kids have multiple DS handhelds.  My son has a PSP2000, that I bought for him.  I have a dead PS3, and I gave my 2nd 360 to my parents because the DVD player stopped reading discs at a pace that I could count on.  My 3rd Xbox 360 is loud, but it works.   My first was purchased in Beijing, used in Ulaanbaatar and sold there, as I was moving back to the USA and then to Havana.

Your views are just fine, just don't force it down our throats.  Have you ever heard "less is more"?
Be more subtle and you will/could change our collective perspective, if that is what you are going for.  If you want to just read your own verbosity please email yourself.

Again, we wait for YOUR words on what the PS4 does better than the PS3.  If you own a PC or any XBox version, or other console, please feel free to explain to us how each fares.
If you want to complain to the board, please feel free.
Lastly,
I have never written that the PS4 is a POS, only you Rclark, have written that the XB1 is a POS.
RDavidison, I concur.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:01 am »
Because they would have announced it.... is not proof.  There are still non disclosure agreements out until this Friday on the XB1.

Your threads are in my domain.  Every single one of your posts, (slightly exaggerated) is a shot against the xbox.  Not one of your comments has been even keeled in its views of either major console coming out this month. 
In the last thread I argued more upgradeability, like the Steam.  In regards to my Microsoft affiliation and any other investments, I lost my grandiose ;) investment in 3Dfx.   I have not had a PC since 2007, and never worked for M$ in anyway.  I never had a nintendo console, my kids have multiple DS handhelds.  My son has a PSP2000, that I bought for him.  I have a dead PS3, and I gave my 2nd 360 to my parents because the DVD player stopped reading discs at a pace that I could count on.  My 3rd Xbox 360 is loud, but it works.   My first was purchased in Beijing, used in Ulaanbaatar and sold there, as I was moving back to the USA and then to Havana.

Your views are just fine, just don't force it down our throats.  Have you ever heard "less is more"?
Be more subtle and you will/could change our collective perspective, if that is what you are going for.  If you want to just read your own verbosity please email yourself.

Again, we wait for YOUR words on what the PS4 does better than the PS3.  If you own a PC or any XBox version, or other console, please feel free to explain to us how each fares.
If you want to complain to the board, please feel free.
Lastly,
I have never written that the PS4 is a POS, only you Rclark, have written that the XB1 is a POS.
RDavidison, I concur.

You don't like my views, don't read them. But nothing I've written is false. Therefore it's your duty as a mod to kindly stuff it. Otherwise just name this the xbox forum. You clearly don't like what I'm saying and are attempting to call facts hyperbole.

Rooster19

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:17 am »
Sure, lets see pics of your launch ps4  :thumb:

(The ps3 is not better and faster, :wink:) I have a ps3 on hdmi 1. Lol

Question. Do roosters like astroturf, jr?

Whoops, meant ps4 ui is better & faster....

Though I'll stand by the rest of what I said (typos and iPhone autocorrect aside...)

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:31 am »
Whoops, meant ps4 ui is better & faster....

It''s faster than my cellphone and I have a galaxy s4. I'm going to time it right now with a stopwatch.  From system standby to playing killzone was 40 seconds. I'll film it and put it in my review,

Loading a game while the system is booted: 8 seconds. 8. This game takes 39GB on my hdd.

That GDDR5 speed!

I would mock the memory setup of the x1 here, but that would be mean, apparently. Can't be mean to devices here. Must downplay so everyone gets a cookie.

Woodsea

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:39 am »
Complain to the board, Rclark.  I am the moderator, so I need to read them.  Just tone it down, state the facts, without your opinion.  SEE YOU ARE LEARNING I would mock the memory setup of the x1 here, but that would be mean, apparently. Can't be mean to devices here. Must downplay so everyone gets a cookie.

But, do give us your opinion on how the PS4 is and how it ranks against your Xbox1, or a friend's Xbox1. 

I don't need you to link to other people's views on a console that has not come out yet.  Nor, do I want you to state that a friend came over and said that one was better than the other.  Have him or her, write up a review and post it.

Am I making myself clear?

If you remember, I don't have any of these consoles ordered, I have nothing to gain on which console is better, or sells more units.  No bragging rights, or stock dividends.

Woodsea

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:43 am »
If you bought the PS4, you are getting a helluva deal!
http://www.shacknews.com/article/82089/report-ps4-costs-381-to-build
Cost $381, purchase price $399.  That is a steal. 

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:44 am »
1080P vs 720P for most titles, is how it compares on anyone's.  Don't need to pack it over to a friend's thanks. I understand how the hardware works, I don't need to wait and see like you. And I don't like being bullied. Think I will complain. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe we can get someone who actually understands the topic a little deeper to run the board.

And someone who actually games.

Woodsea

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:09 am »
From Extremetech.com
Here is a side by side video of PS4 and One http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8XqWRACk2zY

Here are the last two paragraphs of that article just on specs alone, which is all they can do.
 Despite the resolution difference and upscaling, though, there is visually very little difference between the Xbox One and PS4. By virtue of being based on the same GPU architecture, games on both consoles will look very, very similar — the same lighting, the same textures (presuming the Xbox One’s lower bandwidth isn’t a bottleneck), the same smoke, and so on. If you are playing games from a reasonable distance (10 feet, 3 meters), you are unlikely to see much, if any difference between the consoles.

With that said, irrespective of whether developers can harness the Xbox One’s ESRAM, I don’t think Microsoft’s console will ever compete with the PS4′s larger GPU. I think the PS4 will always have the edge when it comes to raw graphics power, and thus higher output resolution and smoother frame rates. In reality, due to commercial restraints, I expect most cross-platform games will look virtually identical across the two consoles for their entire lifecycle. PS4 exclusives that take full advantage of the console’s superior hardware, though, such as masterpieces produced by Naughty Dog, will probably look significantly better than anything on the Xbox One.

I have read the same sentiments of the last paragraph in scores of articles on the net.  Which has been my main point all along, Rclark, which you have decided was false without reference.
If you want a debate, we can debate.

RDavidson

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:11 am »
:green:

Thank you.

I'm no fanboy either. I choose whatever is best. I'm an enthusiast, and just like with my audio hobby, I'm interested in best performance for my money,  not legacy tradition.

Trust me, if the situation was reversed, just change the names, I'd be championing x1 and laughing at ps4.

A distinction: I am allowed that.  Moderators are not. Moderators should not be in the business of protecting a manufacturer.

Understood, but what is "best" for you or "best" from a technological point of view are just 2 criteria for consideration. One of those criteria is important to others, the other probably not.........unless you give everyone free access to your system. :thumb: Some people like Ford. Others like Chevy. Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled. :lol: Regardless of technological advantages in either camp, they both have their place and people will chose what is "best" for them. I'm personally going to wait a year or two before jumping into either system. Though (right now) I'd probably choose the PS4, I can see where maybe an Xbox One might be the "best" choice for my household especially since I have kids. My 4 year old loves the the Kinect. Not that he's a discerning consumer, but his enjoyment has a place in my personal decision. He could care less about the PS4's technology. :lol: He just wants to have fun and obviously he and I differ on our ideas of fun. But since I'm the adult (most of the time) I must consider what is "best" for him too. For the record, I bought a gen one 360 about a year after it launched because a good friend had a 360. I didn't have kids at the time and had plenty of time on my hands. The decision was pretty cut and dry for me. Prior to the 360(s) I owned a PS2 for many years. Like I said, I'm no fan boy either way. Like my 4 year old, at the end of the day, I think we all just want to have fun and I think it is great that there is more than one system to provide this.

Rclark

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:15 am »
Omg you're serious.

Lots of these websites are MS apologists. It's quite embarrassing. They will not be able to keep up charade much longer.

I laugh at your link and am fully prepared to tear it apart. Open a new thread ps4 vs xbone and let's have at it.

Meanwhile I just rented Man of Steel and can comment on the audio quality. Or are we defending graphics here now? Take your pick, I'm game.

Launch software is as close as x1 will ever get. Your clue is Dead Rising 3 at 16fps-30fps, 720P, and Ryse, 30fps, 900P.

RDavidson

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:19 am »
If you bought the PS4, you are getting a helluva deal!
http://www.shacknews.com/article/82089/report-ps4-costs-381-to-build
Cost $381, purchase price $399.  That is a steal.

I thought it was fairly well known that the game system companies actually lose money (historically) when they launch new systems. It takes a good year or two of solid sales for them to see an actual profit from systems being sold. I think this is pretty understandable when you put into perspective all the development and manufacturing costs they eat. That's just business. Gotta crack some eggs to make an omelette.

Woodsea

« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:25 am »
Why do you say they are apologists?  I don't understand?  Can you direct me to a link that has both video representations on a split screen and the reviewers discriminatory observations from an average viewing distance? 
I will not open that link up until both consoles are out.  If people are going to google that topic, I want a fair representation of what each console can do by our AC members.  Not, by what you and I can foresee of what games will look like in 5 years. 
Rdavidson, recently most new electronics cost well below manufacturing costs, of course I am alluding to the latest major gaming platforms of phones and tablets.
The PS3 cost around $300 more, I believe, than it cost to make when it first came out. That is the version I have.  Great machine except for that overheating problem, where it warped the board.  That was why M$ did not put in a blu-ray, which was the major cost of the PS3 as well as backwards compatibility.