Latest music you've picked up...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Latest music you've picked up...
« Reply #400 on: 4 Jul 2006, 06:41 pm »
Mike....If you liked the first few Cheap Trick albums....then this is more of the same...good work ....I like it !! :guitar:

mcrespo71

« Reply #401 on: 4 Jul 2006, 07:09 pm »
Mike....If you liked the first few Cheap Trick albums....then this is more of the same...good work ....I like it !! :guitar:

I do really like early Cheap Trick, but they sort of lost their way when they got super popular in the late 1980's.

Glad to hear they are BACK! :dance:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #402 on: 4 Jul 2006, 07:12 pm »

I do really like early Cheap Trick, but they sort of lost their way when they got super popular in the late 1980's.

Glad to hear they are BACK! :dance:
Pumping it out now.....high db's :lol:...still have that "Beatle" type sound....good, short, to the point songs...sweet !!! :rock:
(Jim....your amps do'in fine !!) 8)

mjosef

« Reply #403 on: 5 Jul 2006, 12:34 am »
Picked up (literally) off the pavement for grand sum of zero (free) some 15 LPs..

1. The Jonah Jones Quartet, Jonah jumps again.
2. Gene Krupa Quartet/Max Roach-Clifford Brown Quintet, Hall of Fame-Jazz Greats
3. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Going places
4. Charlie Mingus, The Black Saint and Sinner Lady
5. Herbie Mann, My kinda groove
6. Pete Townshend, empty glass
7. Keith Jarret with Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, Dewey Redman, 'Birth'.
8. Marion Brown, Geechee recollections.
9. Andrew Hill, Compulsion!!!
10. Tom Waits, small change
11. Max Roach, conversations
12. Archie Shepp, the cry of my people.
13. Count Basie, the abc collection
14. The Telelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall
15. Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley

Really lucked out that day, right place/right time, a couple of the jackets seemed to have sustained water damage, but all the vinyl looked in very good condition.
Big Thanks to whomever 'threw' them out.

Frihed91

« Reply #404 on: 8 Jul 2006, 07:59 am »
Secret Machines    Ten silver drops
Current 93            Black ships ate the sky
Six Organs of Admittance     Sun Awakens
Bright Back Morning Light  Bright back morning light
Mojave 3              Puzzles like you….Have
Like Vines             The hush sound
I see hawks in LA   California Country
Elbow                   Asleep in the Back

95bcwh

« Reply #405 on: 8 Jul 2006, 03:40 pm »
Can anyone comment on the recording quality of this CD? I heard the samples at Amazon, absolutely love it, I'm sure I would absolutely enjoy it when played in my car, but probably not with my new highly revealing system  :?

Thanks for your thought.

Gordy

« Reply #406 on: 8 Jul 2006, 06:30 pm »
Only one way to tell for sure, try it!  You can buy it used and sell it if doesn't meet your expectations...

Philosophically though, if my system were to prevent me from listening to the music I love, I would have to fix the problem or change some aspect within the system, but never avoid the music.  The music comes first!  Just one person's useless opinion....  :D   

mojoman

« Reply #407 on: 8 Jul 2006, 06:46 pm »
Just got these:

Joe Bonanamassa - You and Me - Latest from Joe. This guy just gets better and better
Walter Trout - Full Circle - Each song was co-written with a guest artist.  Great guitar playing here.
Joan Osborne - Righteous Love and Relish - I saw Joan with Phil Lesh and was very impressed so I had to try some of her solo stuff.  Me likey!
Paris Combo - Motifs - French band that combines swing jazz, latin rhythms, gypsy and probably some other genres as well.  It's all in French so I don't have clue as to what they're singing about but it sure is fun music.

Soundbitten

« Reply #408 on: 8 Jul 2006, 07:46 pm »
Mojave 3 - Puzzles Like You
Wolfmother - S/T
Black Rebel Motorcycle club - Howl
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Hearts Of Oak

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #409 on: 8 Jul 2006, 09:01 pm »
Marvin Gaye's "Vulnerable"

Do yourself a favor, I mean really do yourself a favor.
Get this album, get the wine, dim the lights and by the time it's finished (30 mins)  you'll be headed for a special night, I promise, and she'll think you've still got some romance in those old bones.

I had owned this before but gave it too a friend in need.
I have NEVER met a woman who could resist some Marvin Gaye.
If yours can, divorce her while there's still time because there's a whole world you're missing out on  :thumb:

95bcwh

« Reply #410 on: 8 Jul 2006, 11:31 pm »
Marvin Gaye's "Vulnerable"

Do yourself a favor, I mean really do yourself a favor.
Get this album, get the wine, dim the lights and by the time it's finished (30 mins)  you'll be headed for a special night, I promise, and she'll think you've still got some romance in those old bones.

I had owned this before but gave it too a friend in need.
I have NEVER met a woman who could resist some Marvin Gaye.
If yours can, divorce her while there's still time because there's a whole world you're missing out on  :thumb:

Ok, since you're an expert in Marvin Gaye,  I wonder if you (or anyone) can tell me the quality of recording of this "The Master 1961-1984 [BOX SET]"?

I saw plenty of "remastered" version of his previous album, e.g.

Does the songs in the Box Set contains the same "remastered" versions?

launche

« Reply #411 on: 9 Jul 2006, 01:55 am »
Well I'm no expert just a appreciative fan.  He sings my kinda music in a way that instantly connects with my soul.  I don't have that Box set but have many of the other remastered Cd's and enjoy them immensely and can vouch for their SQ.  They probably don't contain the same remastered versions, I don't know.  But that box set states they remastered from the original tapes and here is some press from that box set.  It seems to have a very nice selection covering his various periods and has many unreleased tracks, I may have to get it myself.

Editorial Reviews: 

Q (7/95, p.141) - 5 Stars - Indispensable - "...These are some of the most beautiful moments in the history of soul."

Q (p.130) - 4 stars out of 5 - "Marvin Gaye made some of the most life-affirming music ever recorded....Twenty years after his death, the full reach of Gaye's genius is revealed on THE MASTER."

Mojo (7/95, p.111) - "...Handsome 4-CD digest of the man's magnificent work....[Marvin Gaye] became...an inimitable voice capable of touching anybody, anywhere....There's a universe in every note."

Uncut (8/00, p.90) - 5 stars out of 5 - "...Songs of social comment, sexual desire and spiritual desperation so powerful that they left most of the competition stalled at the lights..."

NME (6/3/95, p.48) - 10 (out of 10) - "...A dream package...flush with myriad unreleased tracks, and enhanced with exemplary digital remastering from original sources...the most all-encompassing and astutely assessed compilation of his work currently available..."

Village Voice (2/20/96) - Tied for #3 on the Reissues list of Village Voice's 1995 Pazz & Jop Critics' Poll.

Sounds like a must have IMO.
You seem to be a man of good taste and you can't go wrong with Marvin.  This is music that is enduring and endearing and extends well outside your listening chair.  So play it around the house, with your wife, and I promise it will become apart of you.
The closer you listen the more you'll get drawn in, just play it whenever it just always sets a mood of warmth, togetherness and intimacy.  This is music for couples so don't just keep it in the listening room, that would be missing the point.  And once you go through it burn a copy of your fav slow songs on one CD and it will be just what the doctor ordered..."Sexual Healing"
I bought the "I Want You" Expanded edition disc and it's GREAT and it has about 7 different versions of "I Want You" in particular.  I put it on one night and I must have died and gone to heaven, lets just say my wife and I were in our own episodes of Red Shoes Diaries :oops: Much later that night my wife said to me "It was like the music was coddling us" I'm not trying to be to facetious here and don't mean to offend but just expressing how this artist's music has affected me, YMMV. I'm just trying to share the enjoyment is all. Remember I said I gavemy other CD to friend in need,elhe is currently amassing his own Marvin Gaye collection, as I believe every man should.
Let me know how the Box set turns out.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #412 on: 9 Jul 2006, 02:01 am »
The box set webpage from Amazon...with customer reviews. :D

95bcwh

« Reply #413 on: 9 Jul 2006, 02:16 am »

You seem to be a man of good taste and you can't go wrong with Marvin. 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting that you said so.. I do like Soul music, I also like Jazz, in general, I like music that're somewhat "simple" and "quiet". Hence I don't listen to a lot of heavy metal or hard hitting rap.

But I cannot say I have good taste.. because my friends who love rap music said I have a "wussy" taste.  :o

I will probably buy the box set from yourmusic.com, save me 50% from Amazon price! :green:

launche

« Reply #414 on: 9 Jul 2006, 02:37 am »
Man that Rap music today SUCKS, I mean back in the late 80's early 90's that was a good time for rap but today it's garbage for the most part.  It's all commercial and unauthentic and really is more producer driven than artist driven and is center around good beats, it's lyrical doo-doo.  That guys back inthe day had so, something to say but now everything is "In The Club" with the hoes yada yada yada, sell a million to the dumb kids trying to be cool.  There's a few decent rap artists out there but the rest is junk.

On a recent trip to Disney World I was listening to my stuff and my younger brother wanted to play some cd he made from Lil Jon?  I put it in and it was 30 secs of the worst garbage I've ever heard and was a rare time where I was sick to my ears about some music.  I mean he came on shouting and screaming "why you gotta act like a b$&ch" about 10 times in a row, I took it out and through it out the window onto the highway.  scolded my brother, it was a wake up call for me as I had little idea he was listening to this kinda garbage.  I knew he listened to rap but not this stuff, let alone have enough to make a CD etc... I had to restrain myself from saying too much and not alienate him and change our relationship etc...  But that trip I learned that at 14 he's not a kid anymore, he made some sexual references too casually over lunch etc... I mean I was taken aback. As a result he is spending the summer with me because I clearly need to get to know him better.

I hate even mention that rap in the same breath as Marvin, let it end here and not litter this thread any further.

HumanMedia

« Reply #415 on: 9 Jul 2006, 08:39 am »
Can anyone comment on the recording quality of this CD? I heard the samples at Amazon, absolutely love it, I'm sure I would absolutely enjoy it when played in my car, but probably not with my new highly revealing system  :?

Thanks for your thought.

There is a remaster/restored release (I dont know if thats the one) which is great.  And dont forget the follow up which is IMO better - "Jazz Samba Encore!"

95bcwh

« Reply #416 on: 9 Jul 2006, 08:44 am »
Do you know if this recording is mono or stereo?

Thanks
barry

Thanks for your thought.

There is a remaster/restored release (I dont know if thats the one) which is great.  And dont forget the follow up which is IMO better - "Jazz Samba Encore!"

Double Ugly

« Reply #417 on: 9 Jul 2006, 10:26 am »
Here's the remastered version HM mentioned, as well as the follow-up CD he likes better.

If you like those, you may want to take at look at this, too.  Good stuff, if you like Bossa Nova.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #418 on: 9 Jul 2006, 11:00 am »
Here's the remastered version HM mentioned, as well as the follow-up CD he likes better.

If you like those, you may want to take at look at this, too.  Good stuff, if you like Bossa Nova.
OR.... you can get the whole set by Getz.....all in one shot....I've got it both ways...  :dance:

Double Ugly

« Reply #419 on: 9 Jul 2006, 11:15 am »
OR.... you can get the whole set by Getz.....all in one shot....I've got it both ways...  :dance:

That'll work, too!  :thumb: 

Tough to go wrong with Getz, huh Chris?  :dance: