Giving back to AudioCircle: a tour of an AC distribution box

Big Red Machine

Re: Giving back to AudioCircle: a tour of an AC distribution box
« Reply #40 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:46 am »
I preferred the afterburner8 the most.

You must have one of your own since there are no Afterburners in this box.

audiogoober

« Reply #41 on: 29 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm »
You must have one of your own since there are no Afterburners in this box.

That's correct.  I preferred the AB8's from my wall over any receptacles in the box.

I also tried it on a different circuit with a standard wall receptacle.  In this instance, the box did sound better and I preferred the Maestro.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #42 on: 29 Mar 2014, 01:38 pm »
I think I'm up next.  Wirenut, you have a PM.

Scott

WireNut

« Reply #43 on: 30 Mar 2014, 09:50 pm »
Based on fit alone I like the TeslaPlex receptacle the best followed by the Porter Port, Maestro, and lastly the Hubbell 5362 receptacle.

I was so impressed by the looks of the power cord I immediately plugged it into my preamp and it stayed there the whole time I had the distribution box. I used my own DIY power cord (Bob Crump/Asylum design) into the distribution box. By comparison, Big Red Machine’s power cord makes the Bob Crump/Asylum cord look like a toy.

The Acrolink P-50 and C-50 connectors on the power cord are beautifully made and make my Schurter plugs look like crap.

Thank you BRM for giving me the opportunity to try your distribution box and power cord. It’s been a real eye opener and I hate to see it go  :bawl:.

Steve

Nick77

« Reply #44 on: 1 Apr 2014, 10:34 am »
      Based on fit alone I like the TeslaPlex receptacle the best followed by the Porter Port, Maestro, and lastly the Hubbell 5362 receptacle.                                                                             

A little more interested in the sonics when someone can give them a listen. Thanks.....

Big Red Machine

« Reply #45 on: 1 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm »

I was so impressed by the looks of the power cord I immediately plugged it into my preamp and it stayed there the whole time I had the distribution box. I used my own DIY power cord (Bob Crump/Asylum design) into the distribution box. By comparison, Big Red Machine’s power cord makes the Bob Crump/Asylum cord look like a toy.

The Acrolink P-50 and C-50 connectors on the power cord are beautifully made and make my Schurter plugs look like crap.

Thank you BRM for giving me the opportunity to try your distribution box and power cord. It’s been a real eye opener and I hate to see it go  :bawl:.

Steve

You're going to make me blush. :oops:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #46 on: 1 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm »
That's correct.  I preferred the AB8's from my wall over any receptacles in the box.

I also tried it on a different circuit with a standard wall receptacle.  In this instance, the box did sound better and I preferred the Maestro.

How much time do you have on the AB?  I have it installed right beside my Maestro.  The Maestro has hundreds of hours but the AB maybe only 50 hours.  It sounds rough around the edges.

WireNut

« Reply #47 on: 4 Apr 2014, 09:45 am »

A little more interested in the sonics when someone can give them a listen. Thanks.....

On the same day I received Big Red Machines Distribution box I had just finished building new long awaited passive crossovers for my DIY  MTM loudspeakers which where a complete re-design from my old versions being used. Those new crossover's and also BRM's distribution box and power cord where installed into my system all at the same time. The new passive crossover's made such a big impact over my old crossovers alone that it made it difficult to evaluate the Distribution box outlets and cord at that time. 

Over the next two weeks I listened to the newly installed crossovers, BRM's power cord plugged into my preamp, and had all of my source components hooked up to BRM's distribution box. I sat back in amazement for the next two weeks on how much better my system had improved.

Now tonight before writing this, I just got home from work, plugged back in my old Lowes power strip :cry: and my old Asylum power cord to my preamp, fired up my equipment to warm it up for a listen session and I'm afraid it's not gonna sound like it did without BRM's distribution box and power cord. 

If I had 2 weeks prior to get used to my new crossovers alone, and then install BRM's Distribution Box and power cord I could have done an evaluation on the sound of the outlets and cord alone. That's why I only evaluated the outlets on fit alone.

I'll be happy to take back the Distribution box and Power Cord at the end of the tour for a complete sound evaluation of each outlet and power cord alone :green:

I honestly would like to own two of BRM's distribution boxes and at least four of his power cords. But for me, I'd want all my outlets to be TeslaPlex, funds permitting.

Steve

Early B.

« Reply #48 on: 4 Apr 2014, 11:23 pm »
I appreciated the opportunity to participate in the tour of the distribution box. For several years, I have been wanting to upgrade my outlets, but had no way of determining which brand would sound best. I only had the distribution box for a couple of days, but that was sufficient time for me to identify the "best" outlet. I was mainly interested in comparing the Maestro with the SR Teslaplex, so I did not closely evaluate the Porter.  I've had Hubbell's previously on a BPT CPC. I have Synergistic Research speaker cables and a Precision power cord, but I'm not loyal to any particular brand. Bottom line - to my ears, the Maestro outlet had more detail and was a bit more musical than the Teslaplex. The Teslaplex was very good, but a tad more laid back, in comparison.  In fact, I was so impressed with the Maestro that I ordered one. I'm finally looking forward to replacing the el cheapo outlet in my den.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 4 Apr 2014, 11:33 pm »
Thanks guys for commenting and finding something that works for you.  This is what I was trying to accomplish with this unit.

WireNut

« Reply #50 on: 5 Apr 2014, 01:22 am »
Hmm, I wonder how we could get a discount on the Maestro's or TeslaPlex outlets  :scratch:
Group buy maybe  :D

Early B.

« Reply #51 on: 11 Apr 2014, 04:30 am »
I ordered a Maestro Outlet and it arrived today I installed it, let it burn in for a couple of hours and sat down to listen. I was immediately struck by one thing -- the dynamics improved significantly. Of course, all of the other superlatives apply -- more detail, realism, etc... I've been hearing about upgrading outlets for years, and the quality of the outlets make a huge difference -- just as much as a PC or IC upgrade, or even a component upgrade. The biggest complaint I had of my system was that it was too polite, too laid back. Well, that problem has been resolved, and I probably have 98 more hours of burn-in to do.

Spending just a very short time with the distribution box convinced me to pull the trigger on the Maestro. It's a no-brainer purchase.

WireNut

« Reply #52 on: 11 Apr 2014, 05:37 am »
Early B,
Big Red Machine,

Since I changed my passive crossovers on the same day I received the distribution box I was focused so much on how the new crossovers changed my loudspeakers that I only evaluated the distribution box outlets on fit alone.

If I could do it all over again, having 6 components, a turntable and phono preamp, tube preamp, active crossover, and two power amps, that are plugged into 3 different independent power lines, what 2 components out of the 6 would I plug into either the Maestro's or Teslaplex outlets in order to find out what outlet sounded best to me?

Would it be my tube preamp, and my main power amp into the Maestro or Teslaplex outlets, or , my source components. I would only be able to do 2 components at a time with either outlet.

If I had the funds, I'd buy 3 of either the Maestro's of Teslaplex outlets and replace all my wall outlets.
The Tesla's were just a tighter fit with my component plugs and where not evaluated on sound quality.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #53 on: 11 Apr 2014, 12:11 pm »
Typically the front end units are more sensitive so I would recommend the pre and dac.

S Clark

« Reply #54 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:27 am »
Finally got a chance to set this up and take it for a prelim spin on my smaller system- Neo2x speakers, Dodd battery pre w/6H30dr tube, Dodd amp, Virtue cdp.  Plugged the cd and amp into each outlet and compared.  They are each very different animal in my rig.  The Hubbell is very detailed to the point of bright.  Vocals placed far to the front, bass with good attack.  The Porter Port emphasized different detail, excellent guitar detail.  Detailed like the Hubbell but without the overly bright sound.  Bass recessed and not quite as clear as the Hubbell.  Teslaplex- full bass, vocals softer with less crispness, instruments not as defined.  Maestro- clear yet full bass, best attack and decay. Vocals clear and detailed, but not as full as the Hubbell or Porter.

So far I'd pick for my ears:
1. Maestro
2. PorterPort
3. Hubbell
4. Tesla
I'll put them into my main system tomorrow.  The LS9's in a big room is a different experience.

Scott

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 15 Apr 2014, 11:40 am »
You guys seem pretty confident that you can pick out sonic differences with outlets. 

S Clark

« Reply #56 on: 15 Apr 2014, 01:34 pm »
You guys seem pretty confident that you can pick out sonic differences with outlets.
I even got my wife, who has little interest in equipment, to sit in for a quick comparison.  Her preference was not the same as mine, but she had no trouble hearing differences.  Also, I've done a version of this type test before, with Dave Elledge's cryoed outlets.  I find that outlets make as much difference as power cables and more difference than interconnects. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #57 on: 15 Apr 2014, 02:58 pm »

Yes. Further improvement can be had by removing the brass strip that connects the outlets together and replace with 10 Ga. wire. Changig out the receptacles on the Uber made a difference. The Pass & Seymor 5263A 20 amp with deep cryo treatment changed our minds. At first we thought this was nuts but we were wrong. Hope you have a chance to hear the strip.

charles

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:02 pm »

Yes. Further improvement can be had by removing the brass strip that connects the outlets together and replace with 10 Ga. wire.
charles
I'd never do this as it doesn't meet code.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #59 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:17 pm »
I'd never do this as it doesn't meet code.

Jason you are wrong it meets code. Maybe I did not explain it properly.  The reason for the strip is to connect one outlet to another IN the duplex outlet. Removing the strip allows for using as two circuits from one duplex receptacle. The strip gets replaced by wire. The instructions clearly describe the removal of strip for that purpose. All we are doing is replacing brass strip with wire. Same connection just wire now. The duplex has holes in the back to accept the wire.

charles