My DIY Line Conditioner

Occam

Re: My DIY Line Conditioner
« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2013, 10:39 pm »

Yet at his company he has devised the most ridiculous power cable test.  To use an almost infinite frequency square wave test for a 50/60 Hz cable systemis a total waste of time and energy.

Good radio frequency response in a power cable is the exact opposite of what a power conditioner does. Any frequency response in a power cable above a few kilohertz is a curse not a blessing.
+10

If the rational for purpose built power cords in audio is to pass scads of current instantaneously, the cords would not benefit source components. Not very good marketing when you think about it. That being said, IMO, Shunyata makes some excellent cables.

Edwin,

Nice work!  With the smaller implementation, you have an opportunity to filter all (or just the sources, depending on your religious views on series inductive power filters) individually. If you put an X cap across the line before the inductors, you make a second order differential filter attenuating crap coming out of the component being fed.

Regards,
Paul

edwin

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2013, 11:56 pm »

Edwin,

Nice work!  With the smaller implementation, you have an opportunity to filter all (or just the sources, depending on your religious views on series inductive power filters) individually. If you put an X cap across the line before the inductors, you make a second order differential filter attenuating crap coming out of the component being fed.

Regards,
Paul

Paul thanks.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 6 Aug 2013, 01:20 am »
Regards,
Paul
I think I can speak for all but really do enjoy reading your posts and wish you would comment more.   :thumb:

Occam

« Reply #23 on: 6 Aug 2013, 02:46 am »
Jtwrace,

I truly appreciate the sentiment. I'm constrained by my current posting policy which is 'if you can't say something nice about... don't say anything at all.' So given my ofttimes acerbic nature, I end up not posting very often.
But Speedskater's comment elicited one of those, 'damn, I wish I had said that' moments, and Edwin's conditioner is, IMO, quite spiffy, offering far more flexibility than his initial build. Someone else had suggested that what needs to be filtered was exiting the component as much a entering. Given that, the option of putting an X cap(s) across the IEC, should be considered, as it, along with the X cap at the component end, both flanking the inductors, provide second order differential/normal mode low pass filtering in both directions.

Back to lurking,
Paul

Oystein

« Reply #24 on: 6 Aug 2013, 09:19 am »
Some "positive" properties of Shunyata cables can indeed be irrelevant for common audio equipment.

As long as the general public thinks it wll be better for them they will buy it ... the explanations and the cables ...  :wink:
I am sure Caelin Gabriel knows what really matters but the more he can promote his products on certain electrical properties as a "feature" and he is succesfull with that ... why not ...

I will design my own ifrastructure as I see fit but somebody had to explain what is really going on ... you can only learn by listening to others ... exept when you are a electrical professor and do your own discoveries ... I am not that smart I guess   :green:

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 7 Aug 2013, 01:07 am »
Inductors can be more than fine with amplifiers. It really depends on the size of them, vs. the size of the amplifier. Just because the amplifier is rated at X, doesn't mean it will sound best with an inductor that is just at X or barely exceeds X. So yes, it may need better available current but that doesn't mean an inductor is incapable.

I'm certain that some of the 17a CMC's I use - and other's on the forum have - wouldn't be detectable for a negative benefit on almost any commercially available amplifier. I'll let you know when, if ever, it happens.

There are old criticisms for inductors (chokes rather) stemming back from the day of people using enormous chokes with really high resistance. All the chokes now are small and typically never even reach 1ohm resistance.
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2013, 01:13 am by Salis Audio »

edwin

« Reply #26 on: 7 Aug 2013, 06:57 am »
So far, i don't really hear any straining/choking/hardness on the sound of my amp connected to my LC. Maybe i am just damn deaf :green:.

Based on my reading, a good choke suppose to have high current capability, low dc resistance and low core saturation.

This is what i used : high current, radial,bobbin, PCB mount, 100uH, 7.8A, 0.033 Ohm.

BobM

« Reply #27 on: 7 Aug 2013, 01:12 pm »
I'm constrained by my current posting policy which is 'if you can't say something nice about... don't say anything at all.' So given my ofttimes acerbic nature, I end up not posting very often.

Paul, you acerbic? You are the epitome of sweetness (when you want to be). Everyone would appreciate you participating more often and contributing to the discussions with your incredible knowledge base.

edwin

« Reply #28 on: 13 Mar 2015, 07:14 am »
Here is an update from the DIY LIne Conditioner that i previously posted.

Now i am using Hammond 15amps choke, Mundorf Silver/Gold, Oyaide Platinum + Palladium IEC socket, Acrolink 6N-P4030 for internal cable in star connection and Porter Port AC receptacles. This is housed in an all aluminum casing.

This I could say is a very big jump from the previuos one that i did with the use of better parts. Quiter background, faster dynamics, etc.

Here are the parts with the mundorf not yet assembled.

Fully assembled.

Syrah

« Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2015, 01:18 pm »
I see you've soldered the connections.  Anyone care to weigh in as to whether it's safe to solder AC lines?  I've read different opinions on the topic.