Putting together my first hifi system. nc400 preamp questions.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
Re: Putting together my first hifi system. nc400 preamp questions.
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2014, 07:49 am »
As a compromise how about getting a regular RCA Tortuga and a relatively inexpensive DAC like a Schiit Audio Bitfrost.  Then I basically just connect the Tortuga to the ncore with the shortest XLR to RCA conversion cable I can find?  Also use the shortest possible RCA connections between the DAC and the Tortuga.

Sounds like a good solution - and as I wrote, with the differential input of the nc400, you get most of the benefits of balanced even with an unbalanced source - see Figure 3 under paragraph 12.3.1 in the nc400 data sheet.

EuroDriver

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2014, 05:53 am »
As you don't have a DAC yet, I suggest you try out a Exasound DAC, the volume control works very very well.

DSD256 playback with the transparency the NCore gives a simply glorious sound

Check out the Exasound thread at computer audiophile

greenkiwi

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:00 pm »
I would second...third...fourth all the comments about DAC-->nCore directly.  You don't need a preamp if you have a DAC with a good volume control.

I have an Emotiva DC-1 that works very well (you can find these used for less than $400)... and have the LHLabs Geek Pulse X ordered to try. 

srb

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:12 pm »
I have an Emotiva DC-1 that works very well (you can find these used for less than $400)

The current price for the DC-1 has been reduced to $499 shipped, and is apparently popular enough at the price that reservations are being taken for the next production run.

Steve

Toaster

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2014, 04:58 pm »
Presently using a DC-1 with newly finished NC400s- no complaints!

forkliftHIFI

• Will forklift for Hi-Fi!
« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2014, 04:34 am »
First the speakers came in.  Then the preamp.  Today the ncore stereo unit arrived.  Here is the result.

Compared to what I was using before, and to anything I've actually heard before, all I can say is "Wow." It just plays so effortlessly.  Can't turn it up right now as there are people asleep but tomorrow morning it's on.   

I will probably make a new post or add some more once I rearrange and it's all finalized.  Still haven't got a DAC, just using the computers soundcard.