zenpmd

Re: Newbie Help - Ncore build
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2014, 12:53 pm »
What about the mains cable itself?

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2014, 12:58 pm »
I won't worry about this now but I've spent time this morning looking at IECs with built in filters, are they worth it?

If I remember correctly, Bruno has specifically warned against them, as the usual type of filter provide an undesirable  ground path.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2014, 01:23 pm »
In terms of what?  I used the stock one.  All of that stuff is so minor compared to the big picture.  My advice is to get the amps built and then if you choose to start tinkering, do it.  I find it hard to belive that once you get it built, you will have any desire to putz around wtih them though.

Julf

« Reply #23 on: 24 Mar 2014, 01:25 pm »

Yes, you should use one. :)

zenpmd

« Reply #24 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:07 pm »
In terms of what?  I used the stock one.  All of that stuff is so minor compared to the big picture.  My advice is to get the amps built and then if you choose to start tinkering, do it.  I find it hard to belive that once you get it built, you will have any desire to putz around wtih them though.

I didnt realise there was a stock one. I dont have one. But I will get one. I have never been one to spend on cables, its all BS isnt it! :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:20 pm »
I didnt realise there was a stock one. I dont have one. But I will get one. I have never been one to spend on cables, its all BS isnt it! :)
All the wiring needed comes with the NC400 & SMPS that you need to wire them together and make them work.  Have you unpacked everything and looked at everything compared to the link I provided above to the build thread?  Doing this will make the whole project make perfect sense. 

zenpmd

« Reply #26 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:25 pm »
Maybe we're talking cross purposes, I mean the cable from the IEC inlet to the plug socket in your wall

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:38 pm »
Maybe we're talking cross purposes, I mean the cable from the IEC inlet to the plug socket in your wall
OH.  I thought you were talking about the mains cable from the IEC to the SMPS.  Just use a well designed 3 conductor cable.   ;)

zenpmd

« Reply #28 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:54 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:57 pm »
I picked the Cratos up as it was half price

http://www.blackrhodium.co.uk/PDFs/product-information-sheets/BlackRhodiumLibraCratos.pdf
Never heard of them but that doesn't mean a thing.  Yep, three conductors....they wil work just fine!   :thumb:

zenpmd

« Reply #30 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:17 pm »
They're English like me, and most of their products appear to be snakeoil :)

Julf

« Reply #31 on: 25 Mar 2014, 09:23 am »
They're English like me, and most of their products appear to be snakeoil :)

Ah, yes.

"The positive and negative cores are connected in opposite directions. Experience shows
that when cables are connected this way (and both cables are connected in the same
direction) the noise floor between the musical notes lowers. This gives ‘blacker’ silences in
the interval between musical notes and enhances reproduction of the musical edges and
natural decays in music."

I hope you didn't pay more than a fiver for the cable...

zenpmd

« Reply #32 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:55 am »
The problem is, the bargain was relative... £45 each.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 25 Mar 2014, 01:18 pm »
The problem is, the bargain was relative... £45 each.
As long as you're happy that's all that matters.  Now, back to NCore... :green:

zenpmd

« Reply #34 on: 25 Mar 2014, 03:59 pm »
Right, some specific questions now I've digested the data sheets. I have to admit I don't understand them really, but I can read where to put the cables which is the main thing! :green: All looks quite simple.

1. J1 - Aux and Control on the SMPS - its not clear what that attaches to? I assume in the standard set up you don't bother with this as it is an on/off switch or something?

2. I am glad I bought a balanced DAC for this as that simplifies things. In terms of wiring, I see there are two heavily insulated wires and one thin third one on its own. Where do they do on the balanced case connection?

3. Same question for the power - I have two cables, where do they go on the 3 pins?

For both 2 and 3 do I solder them in?

I think thats it for now! Thanks guys.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:59 pm »
What country are you in?  More specifically what is your mains voltage?

zenpmd

« Reply #36 on: 25 Mar 2014, 05:02 pm »
UK, 230 V

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 25 Mar 2014, 05:47 pm »

1. J1 - Aux and Control on the SMPS - its not clear what that attaches to? I assume in the standard set up you don't bother with this as it is an on/off switch or something?
Not really needed.

2. I am glad I bought a balanced DAC for this as that simplifies things. In terms of wiring, I see there are two heavily insulated wires and one thin third one on its own. Where do they do on the balanced case connection?
The single black wire part of the input wiring is for the nAMPON.  This needs to go to ground or to a switch if you want to leave them powered 24/7 but have it not be able to play through the amps.  As for wiring, see here. and scroll down a little for pinout of an XLR.  With this and the datasheet it's all there.

3. Same question for the power - I have two cables, where do they go on the 3 pins?
L, N and G if you wish but make certain there is enough space for the amp to be Class 2 per the data sheet.

For both 2 and 3 do I solder them in?

2 for sure but mains depends on the input power connector.

**NOTE**  It is very important to remember that these voltages are lethal.  They can kill you. 

zenpmd

« Reply #39 on: 25 Mar 2014, 07:40 pm »
Re the safety, what I dont understand when looking at the "area within red" on the SMPS schematic, is that how does just putting something in a case with 6mm clearance make it "safe" it all sounds rather dangerous to me!