input tubes for rm10 mk2

pehare

Re: input tubes for rm10 mk2
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:51 am »
If you own the dwelling - if you havn't already get yourself a dedicated circuit (s) installed for your stereo .  i did (20 amp circuit wired w/10 ga romex to a decent outlet) & it allowed me to unload all the unneeded BS power conditioners, surge protectors, etc & have a dead quiet power source.

banquo446

« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:15 am »
If you own the dwelling - if you havn't already get yourself a dedicated circuit (s) installed for your stereo .  i did (20 amp circuit wired w/10 ga romex to a decent outlet) & it allowed me to unload all the unneeded BS power conditioners, surge protectors, etc & have a dead quiet power source.
I had an electrician out here for other reasons and asked him for a quote to do just that. He looked over the equipment space and where the fuse box was and he didn't seem too enthusiastic about the project. He said he would need to take a closer look up in the attic at a later date. He never called back.

I'm still at a stage in which I'm moving stuff around, otherwise I would have done what you suggested already. But I need to get my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger. The options are probably endless, like everything else in our hobby.

A dedicated line won't solve my space heater buzzing issue: that room is already on a different circuit. Between the choice of my wife being cold and my hearing an intolerable buzzing, I already know what will be decided.

rbwalt

« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2011, 03:40 pm »
i would still use a good power conditioner. even with a dedicated line whether it be romex or say  another type of wire. you are still going to get noise coming in. this makes a good power conditioner a must so as to filter out any noise that is going to get in. you are also going to pick up noise from your other components. another reason to get a power conditioner is for surge protection( lighting, power spikes etc). romex is going to be ok but a wire that is made for audio dedicated circuits is going to be better( more dynamic, smoother, a bit more on the quiet side).

as far as your phono stage is concerned it sounds like you have isolated the problem. power supply or bad tubes sound like the culprit. i take it that your phono stage in made in china( most are now ). send it back  and get a new one or see if you can get one that is made in the US. i am not a fan of chinwa  audio gear.

hope this all helps. good luck and tell us how you make out.

R.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #23 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:26 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's the Allnic causing the trouble because when I take it out and use my dvd player, there's no noise. But I don't know what to do about it--other than buying a different stage and hoping it has no issues. For the price of these power conditioners, I'd just as soon sell the stage and buy a different one.

Try moving this component as far away from the others as possible (its power supply too).  Phono stages can be very sensitive to stray signals from other components in the area.  Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb question that must be asked; are you using the grounding wire from your arm?  Are you sure it's properly secured to your phono pre?

banquo446

« Reply #24 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:40 pm »
i would still use a good power conditioner. even with a dedicated line whether it be romex or say  another type of wire. you are still going to get noise coming in. this makes a good power conditioner a must so as to filter out any noise that is going to get in. you are also going to pick up noise from your other components. another reason to get a power conditioner is for surge protection( lighting, power spikes etc). romex is going to be ok but a wire that is made for audio dedicated circuits is going to be better( more dynamic, smoother, a bit more on the quiet side).

as far as your phono stage is concerned it sounds like you have isolated the problem. power supply or bad tubes sound like the culprit. i take it that your phono stage in made in china( most are now ). send it back  and get a new one or see if you can get one that is made in the US. i am not a fan of chinwa  audio gear.

hope this all helps. good luck and tell us how you make out.

R.

I would get a good power conditioner if it didn't cost as much as my beloved rm10.

Allnic is a well respected S. Korean audio shop.

In fact, I have (for other reasons) swapped out my original stage for another one, and it results in the same problem. Perhaps the stage's ground wiring is done incorrectly? I was also thinking that it's not the Allnic per se but rather its interaction with my passive pre. Is that possible? I don't have another pre to test this.

At any rate, if Roger ever releases his phonostage, I'll be in line. I'm certain it'll be much quieter than what I have.

banquo446

« Reply #25 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:48 pm »
Try moving this component as far away from the others as possible (its power supply too).  Phono stages can be very sensitive to stray signals from other components in the area.  Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb question that must be asked; are you using the grounding wire from your arm?  Are you sure it's properly secured to your phono pre?

Alas, I've tried that already to no avail. But I can move it only so far away given the length if ic's I have, so the theory might be correct for all I know.

Yes, ground wire is secure. When it's not the resulting hum is ear bustingly loud. Plus the hum/buzz I'm getting happens with both of my arms.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #26 on: 16 Dec 2011, 06:46 pm »
Hmmm.  Too bad.  Looks like you'll have to get a conditioner.  I once moved into a new apartment and plugging the amp into the wall gave me lots of noise.  Plugging it into my Audioprism conditioner fixed it.  And it's not a very expensive conditioner.  Look into a used one or a Chang Lightspeed on ebay or Audiogon.  You should be able to find one for under $300.  Should fix your problem and you may be pleasantly surprised to hear what they do for your sound!

rbwalt

« Reply #27 on: 16 Dec 2011, 08:23 pm »
keep power supplies away from power supplies. do not stack gear on top of each other( some people do). i would still send it back to have it checked out . ask roger about phono pre's and you will get the straight poop on them.

see if you can get a P conditioner to try  but first call the the guys who sold you the phono pre if you have not done so yet and run it by them. how long have you had it ?

r.

pehare

« Reply #28 on: 17 Dec 2011, 04:32 am »
get an electrician who ain't lazy & is physically able to climb & get yourself a dedicated circuit.... :duh:...cheers!

steve f

« Reply #29 on: 17 Dec 2011, 07:52 pm »
I've had excellent and silent results using the Transcendent Sound phono preamp andalso their balanced power supply.  The only downside is that they are kits. You must be able to solder.

Steve

banquo446

« Reply #30 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:52 pm »
get an electrician who ain't lazy & is physically able to climb & get yourself a dedicated circuit.... :duh:...cheers!

As rbwalt suggested, this might not solve my current problem. My system shares the same circuit as the outlets in my bedroom, and nothing else. I've unplugged everything in the bedroom and still the noise persists. New wire might help but I'm not anxious to tear up my walls to find out--at least not yet.

The power conditioning route seems doable if the price is right. I saw a cheap audioprism conditioner and am tempted to try it. If only I could try it out first.

I checked out the Transcendent. Thanks, but its output impedance is too high for my passive.

tubegroove

« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2011, 03:34 am »
FWIW worth a word of caution- all power conditioners don't have a positive sonic effect.  I have experience some very well known brand names that made my set up go backwards in sound quality.  Yes, try to audition before buying.  However it seems that your phonostage is the source of a large proportion of the noise. You will probably get the most bang for the buck to address that - have you thought of changing it to another brand? Conditioners clean incoming AC power supply and may not have as much effect on noise self generated by components in your system.

rbwalt

« Reply #32 on: 18 Dec 2011, 03:45 pm »
yea get that phono pre fixed then address other noise issues. a dedicated line would help but you are still going to noise creeping in which is going to muck up the sound. i am still a fan of power conditioners but as mentioned in a early post choose wisely. they do help regardless of what some say. top notch power cords will help but beware they will affect the sound in most cases. look at equi-tech and running springs power conditioners. i have had both and now i have the RS Jaco. some gear will benefit  and some won't no matter what you do( read that as not very good).

not protecting your gear from all the nasties that come in through the power lines is not a good thing. just because your gear has internal fuses does not mean that it is totally protected.better to be safe than sorry.

good luck and let us know how you make out.

r.

banquo446

« Reply #33 on: 18 Dec 2011, 06:06 pm »
FWIW worth a word of caution- all power conditioners don't have a positive sonic effect.  I have experience some very well known brand names that made my set up go backwards in sound quality.  Yes, try to audition before buying.  However it seems that your phonostage is the source of a large proportion of the noise. You will probably get the most bang for the buck to address that - have you thought of changing it to another brand? Conditioners clean incoming AC power supply and may not have as much effect on noise self generated by components in your system.
Other than price, that's my main concern with these pc's. I'll take noise over compression any day. Yes, everyday I think about getting another stage. Same issues though: how much?; will I be taking a step back? etc., etc...

Yes, I need some good surge protection. Anyone have thoughts on Brickwall surge protectors?

Back to music reference stuff: I bought new psvane 12ax7's for the rm10. Will report back after audition. Hope they're not noisy.

rbwalt

« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2011, 03:55 pm »
i have no compression with my Running Springs PC. what is going to cause more compression is a lousy power cord. if you are using the stock power cords lose them if possible.

i would only get my tubes from roger. no one tests tubes , grades or matches them like he does for any of his products.

banquo446

« Reply #35 on: 19 Dec 2011, 09:14 pm »
i have no compression with my Running Springs PC. what is going to cause more compression is a lousy power cord. if you are using the stock power cords lose them if possible.

i would only get my tubes from roger. no one tests tubes , grades or matches them like he does for any of his products.
Running Springs is located right in my neck o' the woods. Went to their website and they don't have published prices. I find that annoying.

I agree regarding the quality of Roger's tubes. But I already have his tubes; I want to try others just to see.

Clio09

« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:26 am »
Sent you an email. Let me know if I can help.

banquo446

« Reply #37 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:38 am »
I'm afraid I've misdiagnosed my problem. I had thought that it was just my stage but I used my cd player last night (first time in months) and it was making the same noise, albeit quieter. I hadn't noticed it before because I never have to turn the volume on my preamp past 12 or so when playing cd's. On vinyl I'm sometimes at 4, so it's more bothersome there. I don't know what this new discovery means but at least it's not isolated to the stage.

pubul57

« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2011, 03:50 am »
Hi. Robert, interesting you switched from your old power conditioner to the Running Springs; it just so happen to be the one I'm using, it was well worth it - I'm using the Haley - never tried plugging an the RM10 into though - no compression? I ought to give it a try.

Paul.

rbwalt

« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2011, 03:55 pm »
Hi Paul. lots of posts from you i see. so you sold the SE(Hmmmmmm). yea i got rid of my other power conditioners for just one. rich from signature sound let me try his demo DUKE and i liked it much better. I really like the Jaco. I am going to step up and get a Dmitri in the very near future. I have found that with a conditioner i get dead quiet. also like the idea that my gear and Paul as you know and have seen it is not cheap( we have allot of the same gear) would be protected it against power outages, surges,spikes and noise. i just don't trust equipment fuses. it fits the bill.

The Running Springs Jaco PC does not compress anything at all knor does it get in the way of the music. Paul a tip of the day for you. try a cardas Clear M PC on the joule only. yes plug the 10 into the Haley and see.

My RM9SE continues to hum along nicely.

Rob.