Blowin' Free

hairofthedawg

Blowin' Free
« on: 2 Mar 2003, 08:53 pm »
Hi Klaus,

At some point in our relatsionship I discovered a mutual admiration of Wishbone Ash.  I'm not sure where/when it occurred, but I'm glad it did.  I've had my equipment for quite awhile now and while I've always thought it sounded good, very good, I've never ventured into the realm of "greatness".  I've  been waiting to do this, play the song "Blowing Free",until I had the sound right and with the help of Bill from 8thnerve, I think I finally got the sound I want to hear so I played it.  Her hair was so golden  brown it would melt Marbles' heart!  What beautiful music....

cheers and thanks again!

Dick

BlackCat

Blowin' Free
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2003, 06:16 pm »
Gosh hair... it's great to see someone else who appreciates the "classics".  I just got the "remastered / extended" CD of Argus from CDUniverse.  Absolutely lovely.  I had Argus back in '73 on vinyl.  Brings back great memories.  They just don't write or play songs like that one anymore.

mojoman

Blowin' Free
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2003, 10:25 pm »
I've been listening to a lot of Wishbone Ash lately (I have 3 of their cds in my car right now).  My favorites are:

Wishbone Ash - their first lp, not the ep by the same name,  
Argus - the bands first foray into the prog rock movement,
Wishbone Four - probably their best album,
Live Dates - they rocked hardest live.

I got to see them perform in the early 70s.  They were on the same show as Dr. John and the Ike and Tina Turner Review.

hairofthedawg

Blowin' Free
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2003, 11:54 pm »
Thanks for the tip on where to get the remasters!  Some of the best guitar work out there!  My next two, that I haven't listened to before are Tom Verlaine and Michael Schenker...heard lots of good things about both!

hairofthedawg

Blowin' Free
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2003, 11:57 pm »
I first heard them live, via LP, too mojo.  Not sure of the album, but Bad Weather Blues also stood out to me.  Blowin' Free's always been my favorite though!

cheers,

Dick

klaus@odyssey

Blowin' Free
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2003, 10:44 pm »
Yep,  WA  rules.  Wish more people would experience their incredible harmonics / multi-guitars.

Saw them 3 times,  first in 1973  Hannover,  /  1984  Hannover /  1991 Chicago.  From about 10,000 to 1,000 to about only 50 !!!!  people in a small club in Chicago.

Best, by far was 1973,  with the original brothers.  Then again,  was exciting to be in  a concert when 13.

Late

Eduardo AAVM

Blowin' Free
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2003, 10:49 pm »
Yes it is a good band but I have not listened to them in the last, mmm 10 years ?

By the way Klaus can you recommend some Thin Lizzy records ? I didn't know the band until I saw him in a TV show weeks ago...

hairofthedawg

Blowin' Free
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:07 pm »
Don't remember the album, but Johnny the Fox meets Jimmy the Weed...aside from the Lizzy classics, of course...concert at 13 Klaus?

Wow!  My first was 16, Nugent, Cheap Trick and AC/DC's first tour, what a blast!  Oops, first was Nazareth, Close Enough for Rock n' Roll with Eddie Money, I believe.  Then came Ted.  I hope your new product is a turntable.  I need a new one.

cheers,

Dick

Eduardo AAVM

Blowin' Free
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:12 pm »
Thanks hairofthe... I'll check if those albums are available at my local record store...

klaus@odyssey

Blowin' Free
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:30 pm »
Double LIVE records.  Wishbone Ash it's the live dates,  TL  it's alive.  Fantastic !!

Hair,  yep.  My first concerts were at the age of 12.  You know,  Middle of the Road,  Sweet,  Slade,  etc.  Status Quo, Pretty Things, Nektar,  WA, etc. with the age of 13.  Back then,  I was running around with a bunch of older RR freaks,  listening to a shitty system in their basements for hours,  building guitars out of wood sticks and cartons,  mom's cooking ware doubled as drums,  etc.  And then:  Purple, Uriah Heep ,  GFR !!.  We played them all.  Man,  what a great time,  smile.