SoundScape 8's in smokey silver brid's eye maple - SOLD

jsalk

Not that long ago, Peter ordered a pair of SoundScape 8's in smokey silver bird's eye maple.  He has a hearing issue and was hoping the SoundScape 8's would work for him.  Unfortunately, they did not.  Here is an email I received from him the other day...

Hi Jim,

It is with some sadness that I write to you.  I’ve decided that the SS8s aren’t going to work for me.  As you know, I’ve been struggling with accommodating my hearing loss, digital hearing aids, and higher frequency sensitivity.  I have been working in all sorts of ways to like them but have not succeeded.  I’ve wanted to, hence the length of time before making this decision.

Thank you for all your help along the way.  This decision in no way reflects on your work or product.  I have had friends without my hearing issues that were very impressed.

…..Peter

So we are listing them here as available for sale.

Here are some pictures...

And a close-up...

If built from scratch, this pair would cost about $8800 plus shipping.  Peter would like $8200 for the pair which includes a shipping allowance of up to $600 (they will ship from Alaska). 

- Jim
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2012, 09:21 pm by jsalk »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: SoundScape 8's in smokey silver brid's eye maple
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2012, 06:41 pm »
Thank you, Jim, for posting this. 

General info...   They remain in like new condition and I have all the original shipping materials.  Something a bit different is the grill that Jim made for me.  I have the standard full grills and the ones in the photos that cover the woofers and leave the midrange/tweeter free to do their thing and remain visible. 

I priced them to include shipping for simplicity, but you can also think of it as $7600 plus shipping.  It cost $650 to ship them here and it is usually a bit less to ship out of Alaska than it is to ship in, hence the $600 allowance for shipping.  I'm including some additional photos.  Feel free to ask questions.  Keep in mind that these are available now vs. waiting 6+ weeks after ordering new. 

........Peter

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2012, 01:19 am »
Sorry to hear about that. It sure is a bummer and a half that your hearing issues prevent you from hearing those beauties at their optimum.  :bawl:

I guess you'll just have to sell your good stuff and just buy Bose.

(Btw, that's a JOKE!   :peek:)

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2012, 01:32 am »
Peter

Sorry to hear that the SS8s did not work out for you. I know you try hard to make it work for months. So, good luck on your next quest.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2012, 01:39 am »
Bummer Pete.  I suggest you will resell them much faster if you just ship them back to Jim and let the next owner pay Jim the lower 48 shipping.  That way you also get a re-cert on them at the shop.  Of course Mary's not happy unpacking and then repacking them. :duh:  Just a thought.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:19 am »
Sorry to hear about the problems Peter.  The speakers are beautiful.

guf

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:42 am »
Wow. I was going to ask I wonder how long it would take till there was a pair of "used" ss8's available. And bam some of my favorites are now listed.

pstrisik

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:04 am »
Thank you everyone!  This is part of the sadness of my decision.  The "Salk Family".  I feel like I'm getting divorced or something.  :? 

As for what is next.  I'm going to slow down.  I picked up a pair of used LSA-1 monitors for very little to hold me for now.  It would be easier if I were in the lower 48 to audition more, so I will take it slow from here.  In the process of trying to get the sound I want, I improved my electronics more than I ever thought I would and am happy in that regard.  I will listen more when I get a chance when traveling and see.  No Bose though!  :nono:

........Peter

guf

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:05 am »
Would i be crazy to upgrade my 6 month old Ht2-tls?!  that I love.

what are our payment options?

pstrisik

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:10 am »
Would i be crazy to upgrade my 6 month old Ht2-tls?!  that I love.

what are our payment options?

You wouldn't be crazy at all (of course I would say that!  :P).  I'm open about payment arrangements.  Not installments though, if that's what you mean.  No chickens either.  Typical stuff:  paypal with some consideration of their fee which might make it not worth that method (over $200).  So maybe money order or even personal check with time to let it clear.

......Peter

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:49 am »
Thank you everyone!  This is part of the sadness of my decision.  The "Salk Family".  I feel like I'm getting divorced or something.  :? 

As for what is next.  I'm going to slow down.  I picked up a pair of used LSA-1 monitors for very little to hold me for now.  It would be easier if I were in the lower 48 to audition more, so I will take it slow from here.  In the process of trying to get the sound I want, I improved my electronics more than I ever thought I would and am happy in that regard.  I will listen more when I get a chance when traveling and see.  No Bose though!  :nono:

........Peter

Peter, the LSA-1s are very nice I have Mobile Fidelity OML-1s in the office system (for now - will be in a secondary system eventually after a move in early 2014) which I picked up used and I believe they are made in the same factory and have the same drivers but a different cabinet and crossover (pic below).  It's too bad that I have not already moved (and I'll be getting rid of some stuff before then), otherwise I could be tempted to some degree.

pstrisik

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:18 am »
Peter, the LSA-1s are very nice I have Mobile Fidelity OML-1s in the office system (for now - will be in a secondary system eventually after a move in early 2014) which I picked up used and I believe they are made in the same factory and have the same drivers but a different cabinet and crossover (pic below).  It's too bad that I have not already moved (and I'll be getting rid of some stuff before then), otherwise I could be tempted to some degree.

Tempted?  You are getting sleepy.... sleepy.... getting closer to buying them with every breath......  When I snap my fingers....  :icon_twisted:

Seriously,  thanks for the encouragement about the LSA's.  They probably won't be my final choice, but they looked like they would be respectable and able to hold me over without spending a bundle when I'm not sure.

......Peter

guf

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:08 am »
I want these

pstrisik

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:14 pm »

Sale Pending !

Meicheng

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:37 pm »
That was quick.  Beautiful finish by the way. 

pstrisik

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:52 pm »
That was quick.  Beautiful finish by the way.

One day!  A testament to the demand for Jim's work and the resale value.  I'll let the buyer identify himself if he chooses.  I'll just say it is someone trading up from other Salks.  So he knows what he wants and has a good idea of what he is getting!

He voiced some concern about selling his current model Salks, but I bet they will go almost as quickly.

.........Peter

benguin

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2012, 07:02 pm »
When Jim first posted pics of these, I thought they were fantastic.  The maple grain is perfect for the silver tone.  I would have never thought to go with that color, but it works!

I know it's bittersweet to part with them, but it's also great to know there is such a great Salk community supporting you.

Hope you'll stay around in the forum!
  Ben

heymikey

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2012, 11:04 pm »
Thank goodness they've been sold, I can remain married a while longer. Congrats to the seller and buyer!

guf

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2012, 11:16 pm »
Thank goodness they've been sold, I can remain married a while longer. Congrats to the seller and buyer!

lol i only thought about it for 10 minutes and my first thought was to just do it and she wont notice, then it was to lie, then to ask permission (to spend my own money?). yes i asked! and she, my girlfriend was very supportive. I tell her that i want the very best sound possible for her. she smiles and get taken out to dinner.

i would of done it any ways and dealt with it later.  8)

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2012, 11:58 pm »
Nice score Guf
sounds like your girlfriend deserves dinner and a trip to the spa

Pete

if you don't mind my asking
what element of your hearing is most affected and the salks were not able to resolve?
do you need a brighter top end? horn driver? more efficiency?

a real shame

I sometimes wonder which sense I would give up first sight or sound
okay it never quite gets that far