Atlantic Dac & Preamp Discussion and Questions Thread

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Hi All,

I have recently purchased an Atlantic dac with preamp, super clocks, tube rectification and remote volume control.

I don't see a thread that is for this preamp version so I thought I would start one. I also have a couple of questions.

I recently received some rectifier tubes that I purchased on ebay after reading a discussion that said they can change the sound of the Atlantic. Since I know the other tubes can't be changed I thought I would give it a go. I also think I read that you can replace the rectifier tube without turning off the dac. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm also curious about what amplifiers people are using with this configuration of the Atlantic? I read in the installation instructions from Lukanz that he doesn't like class D but have not read any recommendations about what people do like.

Thank you for any input you may have.

Greg

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Atlantic Dac & Preamp Discussion and Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2017, 12:26 am »
Hi, Greg.

I can't wait to try it out with my D Sachs Kootenay 120 and Model 2 pre....perhaps in February??  :drool:

findog3103

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2017, 01:05 am »
I use Melody 845 mono amps and RCA crc-5r4-gy tube with the Atlantic.

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2017, 02:42 am »
Same unit on order...to be used with a Wells Innamorata Signature. As long as your amp is a good match to your speakers, you’re good.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2017, 07:41 am »
Thanks guys!

Michael, I'm super exited to hear your wonderful new amp and preamp. I'm also very interested to hear how your amp will sound with my Lampi.

February sounds great!

findog3103 and anyone else who posts the tube they are using, could you give your opinion on it and the difference compared to the stock tube that comes with the dac? How does the Melody do in adding warmth to the presention? I'm definitely leaning towards a tube amp.

jriggy, you are going to love the Lampi. It is so transparent and the depth into the music is something I have not experienced before.

Greg

Sorry, responded late at night.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2017, 04:19 pm by gregfisk »

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2017, 02:36 pm »
Yes, I know! I had an audition. And coming from and L4G4 I was happy it kept certain qualities and built on them, as well as improved upon that model.

I also have an RCA 5R4GY in waiting. They were made in the 40’s all the way through the 60’s, with slight internal difference along the way, so I didn’t know what year(s) to look for.

Tubeburner

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2017, 03:22 pm »
I would turn the dac off when changing the rectifier tube. Electronics and voltage spikes are not friendly. Even a small spike can do damage, IMO.

findog3103

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2017, 10:09 pm »
Greg, e stock tube is great but I feel the NOS adds a little more clarity. Hard to tell but for a pair of those NOS on eBay for $50 I felt I couldn't lose.

The Melody amps, imo, aren't typically tube amps. They rock hard and slam when they need to. Still, I like the natural texture they evoke compared to some solid state and other tube amps  I have used. I don't think there's too much credit location in my system but I'm biased. It's mine. If you're ever in Philly, you can listen for yourself.

wisnon

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:17 pm »
Yes, I know! I had an audition. And coming from and L4G4 I was happy it kept certain qualities and built on them, as well as improved upon that model.

I also have an RCA 5R4GY in waiting. They were made in the 40’s all the way through the 60’s, with slight internal difference along the way, so I didn’t know what year(s) to look for.
It must be pre-1946, ie WW2 version.

wisnon

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:18 pm »
I would turn the dac off when changing the rectifier tube. Electronics and voltage spikes are not friendly. Even a small spike can do damage, IMO.
No need at all...however, as a precaution, I turn the volume down completely, but its not even necessary.

wisnon

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:21 pm »
Greg, e stock tube is great but I feel the NOS adds a little more clarity. Hard to tell but for a pair of those NOS on eBay for $50 I felt I couldn't lose.

The Melody amps, imo, aren't typically tube amps. They rock hard and slam when they need to. Still, I like the natural texture they evoke compared to some solid state and other tube amps  I have used. I don't think there's too much credit location in my system but I'm biased. It's mine. If you're ever in Philly, you can listen for yourself.

Hi Jason,

the double Mica 5r4gy is the killer. Stay away from Fivre and Marconi as they are waaay overpriced. Haltron /CEI/Zaerix/Mazda/Brimar are all available for decent money and can be had for cheap. In the GG, with certain tubes the Shuagang 274B is very good and for big money, the Lampi Kron 5u4G is very hard to beat.

Finally, try the potato mashers.. they are 5r4gwa, gwb and gy

findog3103

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:56 pm »
Hi Wisnon,

Seems I have the one made for Marconi, but I got it rather cheaply. Tried to find a double Mica 5r4gy but hard to tell on eBay. Any hints how to find it? Also, the stock lampi has no identification: any idea what it is?

Here is my vintage tube, can you tell which one I have?

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:26 pm »
Hi Jason,

the double Mica 5r4gy is the killer. Stay away from Fivre and Marconi as they are waaay overpriced. Haltron /CEI/Zaerix/Mazda/Brimar are all available for decent money and can be had for cheap. In the GG, with certain tubes the Shuagang 274B is very good and for big money, the Lampi Kron 5u4G is very hard to beat.

Finally, try the potato mashers.. they are 5r4gwa, gwb and gy

I just received a Chatham JAN CAHG 5R4WGA, your part number is slightly different "gwa"? Is this a typo or are there both types?

Also, how do I tell what year they were made? I don't see a date, only that it was made in the USA.

As you can tell I'm pretty new to tubes...

findog3103

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:32 pm »
I'm agree, Greg, tube identification is challenging. I'm having a hard time understanding and finding double mica and ceramic top.

wisnon

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2017, 09:30 pm »
Hi Jason, you need to take a picture of the very top. You cut off the very section I need to see. The Mica is the plates on top and the one we want has a ceramic spacer between the 2 plates.RCA didnt sell the double Micas, only Ultron/Certron/Haltron/CEI/Fivre/Marconi/Brimar/Mazda and maybe TC.

Pictures and discussions hre: https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tubes&m=248880&VT=T

For RCA, just google the identification codes online. From memory, H5E is 1944.

wisnon

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2017, 09:32 pm »
I just received a Chatham JAN CAHG 5R4WGA, your part number is slightly different "gwa"? Is this a typo or are there both types?

Also, how do I tell what year they were made? I don't see a date, only that it was made in the USA.

As you can tell I'm pretty new to tubes...
I have no year feedback about the Chatams...so not sure that makes a difference.... Please reread my PM where I explained that there are many suffixes to this potato masher tube. In thi case, its probably a Typo that I made though.

findog3103

« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2017, 10:01 pm »
Thanks Wisnon.

Here's a photo of the top though I realize it's not a double mica.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2017, 01:43 am »

Thanks for the info. I was in Philly once a few years ago. Growing up in Seattle it was wonderful to see all of the old brick buildings. The area we had lunch which I don't recall now had all of the restaurants bringing tables out daily onto the brick road in front of them. Very festive for sure. Thank you for the offer, if I end up there again I will try to contact you.

Greg

wisnon