Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.

Phil A

Re: Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.
« Reply #40 on: 21 Feb 2017, 08:18 pm »
Is there a way to change the tube?

A screwdriver came in the box.  I haven't done anything with it.  I'd assume (but could be wrong) that it is to open the case to change the tube.

bacobits1

« Reply #41 on: 21 Feb 2017, 09:14 pm »
The screw driver which I don't use on the iFi phono 2 is for changing the dip switches.
Those are fragile and can break off with the driver (careful), I use a small lab stirrer stick made of wood. A round toothpick would be better.
The iTube 2 that sold here recently had a few broken off and was because of that little driver included. They should change that.

Pez described in one of the posts on the description of the iTube 2 the tube as heavy duty GE5670 10k hour tube
although you look at the board it does look replaceable.

Here>same tube
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148150.0

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #42 on: 21 Feb 2017, 09:44 pm »
Phil A
Look forward to your views on this. Is it up to par for a main system and not just a desktop. I'm really interested in it. I have an Eastern Electric mini Max DAC and it sounds much better with the tube removed and was wondering if the iTube2 would be a good tube addition to my system> I would run it as tube buffer only between my DAC and Nuforce P9 preamp, then on to a Bryston 14bsst2

charmerci

« Reply #43 on: 22 Feb 2017, 02:28 pm »
According to the list, I see that GB has done his part sending it off to the next person but what about the WC iT2? Where be it?

jrebman

« Reply #44 on: 22 Feb 2017, 03:40 pm »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for posting all your impressions -- very useful! Between this thread and Tyson's review,plus a couple of offline chats with some of the current owners, well... my iTube2 will arrive tomorrow.

My guess is that I'll use it as a buffer between my Metrum Musette DAC and my power amp (though obviously some experimentation is in order.

I've worked hard to put together a simple but really rewarding system, and as such, have been very reluctant to add *anything* to the system, but I really feel as if this is something that I really need to do.

Thanks much to Pez for putting all this together, and for Tyson for his no-nonsense review. Without these, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be adding anything else to my system. I do wish I could also afford the Micro USB3, but for now, an iPurifier (replacing a Jitterbug) will be about as good as I can do.

I think if I were starting from scratch, I'd give the Retro amp a good, long look. iFi really seems to have raised the price performance bar again (and this is from somebody who has had many of their pieces.

Thanks again for all the input!

-- Jim

Phil A

« Reply #45 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:03 pm »
Phil A
Look forward to your views on this. Is it up to par for a main system and not just a desktop. I'm really interested in it. I have an Eastern Electric mini Max DAC and it sounds much better with the tube removed and was wondering if the iTube2 would be a good tube addition to my system> I would run it as tube buffer only between my DAC and Nuforce P9 preamp, then on to a Bryston 14bsst2

Previously owned a 14BSST (not the squared).  I have done limited listening on the desktop system (between the sound card and the receiver).  It sounds really good.  I'm busy doing stuff to the main system, among other non-audio things, so not sure it's going to tried in there soon but I may have a couple of audio get togethers with a few people over the next month and after it is broken in a bit more, it should be easy enough to pop out of where it is and bring it over to someone's house and main system.  I do have secondary systems (some may be better than many main systems) that are pretty good and at some point, I will try them in them there.  I've made a bunch of changes to my various systems over the past couple of months and I probably need time to get used to them (I haven't listened to anything tons and it's going to be a couple of months until I catch up) before trying it.  The desktop system was a no brainer as I have an old big Onkyo 1008 receiver (which sounds OK in direct mode - not in the league as a nice integrated), which actually died and then Onkyo had an extended warranty program for bad HDMI boards and for now I just sent it in and they shipped it back the next day after they receiver it.

Phil A

« Reply #46 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:06 pm »
The screw driver which I don't use on the iFi phono 2 is for changing the dip switches.
Those are fragile and can break off with the driver (careful), I use a small lab stirrer stick made of wood. A round toothpick would be better.
The iTube 2 that sold here recently had a few broken off and was because of that little driver included. They should change that.

Pez described in one of the posts on the description of the iTube 2 the tube as heavy duty GE5670 10k hour tube
although you look at the board it does look replaceable.

Here>same tube
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148150.0

Thanks for the explanation.  As noted, I have not spent tons of time with it.  I merely plopped it in place (did not even look at the manual) and set the front switches where I thought they would sound best and have done limited comparisons of those (will do more).

sfox7076

« Reply #47 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:27 pm »
I asked because I have the WE version of the 5670 tube (396A), so I figured I would ask.

David C

« Reply #48 on: 22 Feb 2017, 05:01 pm »
Phil A
Thanks for the update. Look forward to hearing from others on the current tour

jk@home

« Reply #49 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:32 am »
Phil A
Thanks for the update. Look forward to hearing from others on the current tour

I use the 1st gen iTube between a Channel Island DAC and NuForce MCP-18 preamp, kept me from wanting to buy a tubed DAC. Love it. Will most likely spring for a 2nd gen, and slap the old one behind a Chromecast Audio thats in the HT system.

Oh and OT, do I spy a Cavie in your sig? :D

Phil A

« Reply #50 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:47 am »
I may be bringing over to a few people's houses over the coming weeks so they can hear it

David C

« Reply #51 on: 23 Feb 2017, 12:41 pm »
JK
Thanks for the response. I may go ahead and pull the trigger on buying one. Well spotted ........ It is a Cavie pic. We have 2 KCC's , the Ruby in the photo and a Blenheim, The Blenhein we got while living in the UK and the Ruby from a breeder in Ga.

genjamon

« Reply #52 on: 23 Feb 2017, 03:10 pm »
According to the list, I see that GB has done his part sending it off to the next person but what about the WC iT2? Where be it?

First reviewer has shipped it to me already - should be arriving today I think.  I might have some time to play with it this evening, but most of my listening will be over the weekend.  Not sure when to expect a review from the first stop on its trip.

charmerci

« Reply #53 on: 23 Feb 2017, 04:13 pm »
First reviewer has shipped it to me already - should be arriving today I think.  I might have some time to play with it this evening, but most of my listening will be over the weekend.  Not sure when to expect a review from the first stop on its trip.

Cool. Just wondering about the silence. I get it in just over three weeks.  :thumb:

bacobits1

« Reply #54 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:05 pm »
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017, 07:33 pm by bacobits1 »

GentleBender

« Reply #55 on: 24 Feb 2017, 11:17 am »
Looks like I received the iTube 2 I ordered the same day the tour unit was delivered to Stu. Time to get my unit burned in and ready for some music tonight. :green:

As a caution, make sure you wait for the unit to warm up before turning up the volume. The tiny LED will change from red (warming up) to amber (ready). I didn't and thought something was wrong with the unit or my setup until I was surprised with a very loud blast when it became ready.  :oops: That is covered in the manual, but it should be in the first part and highlighted since people like me skim over it.

I would love if a tour of other iFi products were available later, but my wallet is scared. :wink:

charmerci

« Reply #56 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:44 pm »
So is there a benefit of having an iT2 as a pre-amp followed by another as a buffer?

Or perhaps a model configured like that in a single case?

Pez

« Reply #57 on: 24 Feb 2017, 10:20 pm »
Nope. It's both preamp and buffer in 'preamp' mode. If you used two you would have twice the price and double the redundancy which is rarely good. Now if you put one between your preamp and your source and another after your preamp and before your amp in buffer mode that would be excellent.

charmerci

« Reply #58 on: 25 Feb 2017, 01:17 am »
Nope. It's both preamp and buffer in 'preamp' mode. If you used two you would have twice the price and double the redundancy which is rarely good. Now if you put one between your preamp and your source and another after your preamp and before your amp in buffer mode that would be excellent.

Got it.... " The micro iTube2 is a tubed output stage, tube preamp, tube buffer AND an impedance-matching device all in one." I guess I should have read your webpage a little more carefully......

Pez

« Reply #59 on: 25 Feb 2017, 01:29 am »
Don't do that too often otherwise I'd be out of a job.  :wink: