Speaker recommendations for my amps....

Kray

Speaker recommendations for my amps....
« on: 10 Dec 2020, 10:30 pm »
I have a 45 based amp at about 1.5w and a 42 based at about 2w

I currently only have a pair of Omega Super Alnico XRS towers and a 10" REL speed woofer.

I love the Omega, but just looking for a second pair of speakers and maybe a bit more efficiency.

I'd like to keep it under $1500 used, and was considering the Zu Soul's

Would love some recommendation to look up.

mick wolfe

Re: Speaker recommendations for my amps....
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2020, 11:47 pm »
Might be easier to buy a more powerful P-P amp given your budget. Probably give you new insight into your Omega's as well. Most of the speakers that would be truly happy with all music genres given only 2 watts are as big as a washing machine and run 5 figures cost wise. Really depends on how loud you listen, what you listen to and room size, but 2 watts leaves you extremely limited IMHO.

busterfree

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2020, 11:59 pm »
There is a Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend special going right if you do not mind the wait. Used Klipsch are another option.

Kray

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2020, 02:16 am »
There is a Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend special going right if you do not mind the wait. Used Klipsch are another option.

Used to own a pair of DW’s and liked them. Why I’m considering Souls. I just prefer to try the Souls vs another pair of DW’s
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2020, 04:08 am by Kray »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2020, 02:24 am »
+1 on used Klipsch.
The big RF7 are 101 or 100dB.
The RF7 have some space tô improvment.

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2020, 05:07 am »
Used to own a pair of DW’s and liked them. Why I’m considering Souls. I just prefer to try the Souls vs another pair of DW’s

I have a friend who has had both the DW's and the Souls. According to him, the Souls were noticeably more efficient. That said, he drove them a 24 watt 845 based SET. He felt that was a near perfect power range that still allowed ample headroom.  I've had DW's for a couple years and I drive them with a 60 watt P-P tube amp. To me they do their best when played fairly loud. As always YMMV.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2020, 12:16 pm »
Was fascinated by SET's 20 years ago, but could never find a practical loudspeaker to pair with them.  Options seem to have improved since, but the laws of physics are hard to overcome.  Nearly all the SET lovers I met had conditioned themselves to ignore/disdain deep bass, it was weird.  Your current solution (single driver/subwoofer) is probably the best you can do.

Had a 7 wpc class T amp years ago that hit well beyond it's rating driving 90 dB/w/m single driver loudspeakers that were rated down to 30 Hz.  It did remarkably well handling the load, but upgrading to 40 watt mono-blocks turned the loudspeakers from polite dinner guests into NFL linebackers in tuxedos (more macro dynamics, detail, and better imaging).  You really want the amp to have a commanding grip on the loudspeakers to get the most out of them.  The lesson here: pick loudspeaker first, then shop for a complementary amp.

Klipsch is notorious for over rating their efficiency.  Plus note that complex crossovers rob more power than ratings might suggest.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2020, 04:49 pm »
Exactly. The only Klipsch's that "might" work with 2 watts would start with the Cornwall and move on to the Klipschorn. Still be limited in dynamics and missing any headroom to speak of. Fine if your entire library is girl/guitar and acoustic jazz trios.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2020, 06:17 pm »
Exactly. The only Klipsch's that "might" work with 2 watts would start with the Cornwall and move on to the Klipschorn. Still be limited in dynamics and missing any headroom to speak of. Fine if your entire library is girl/guitar and acoustic jazz trios.

What spl levels do you listen at?  :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2020, 08:05 pm »
I see no reason to a audiophile seek constantly speaker performance under 40/50Hz this can lead to frustration or the use of a active sub or worse a total dsp active speaker, a person must avoid the upgraditis virus.

In case of lack of amp power or inefficient speaker I would suggest a Class D amp as DAC STM or Nuprime that are know to be very transparent, not a PP tube amp.

Yet there is the reasonable option to use a big FR driver as Lii F15 $399/pair in a big 300L BR box what certainly will satisfy any bass head, a 15'' FR is not a small feature, to get an idea how it is rare Iam in audio since the 1970s and never seen one in person let alone listen it.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2020, 09:12 pm by FullRangeMan »

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2020, 08:39 pm »
What spl levels do you listen at?  :scratch:

Mid 80's with low 90 peaks. This derived from a free iphone app, so not sure on accuracy.  That said, the room is above average in size. Heresy 3's driven by a Latino ST70 supplemented by a pair of HSU subs.  Ample headroom with a nice sense of ease. Basically like the results provided by 35-40 watts, but that's just me. As always YMMV.

Kray

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2020, 09:36 pm »
Let me clarify as seems some of the comments are not matching with intention

I LOVE my tube amps and Omega Speakers... with the sub it's an amazing experience. I am fully satisfied with it.

I have three tube amps... all along the line of 2-4wpc. So I am looking for a second set of speakers to add to my collection.

I am NOT going solid state or digital and don't want P-P tubes either. I am off the amp merry go round with my 45 and 42.

lokie

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2020, 09:42 pm »
Two words... DIY and Altec!

Its easier than you think and can easily make your budget.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2020, 10:04 pm »

I currently only have a pair of Omega Super Alnico XRS towers and a 10" REL speed woofer.

I love the Omega, but just looking for a second pair of speakers and maybe a bit more efficiency.

One other thing you can try to squeeze more dynamics out of your current speakers is to use an in-line capacitor to roll off the mid/low bass before that signal hits your main amp.  Then get a 2nd sub and run your bass in stereo.  This will let you get the most bang for those 2 watts with those main speakers.

Kray

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2020, 10:18 pm »
Two words... DIY and Altec!

Its easier than you think and can easily make your budget.

Thanks! I've thought about DIY with Coral or Lii drivers too

Kray

« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2020, 10:20 pm »
One other thing you can try to squeeze more dynamics out of your current speakers is to use an in-line capacitor to roll off the mid/low bass before that signal hits your main amp.  Then get a 2nd sub and run your bass in stereo.  This will let you get the most bang for those 2 watts with those main speakers.

Interesting! I'm happy with them now but sounds like an simple tweak to try

belle harbor

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2020, 12:11 pm »

If you post your question in the Talkin’ Tubes section on the Klipsch forum you will get a very different, and far more accurate, assessment of using their speakers with very low power amps.  Don’t believe anyone who tells you that you need higher power to achieve glorious results

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2020, 03:24 pm »

If you post your question in the Talkin’ Tubes section on the Klipsch forum you will get a very different, and far more accurate, assessment of using their speakers with very low power amps.  Don’t believe anyone who tells you that you need higher power to achieve glorious results

When I had H1s a 2 watt Grommes SET EL84 was more than enough in a 12 x14 room.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2020, 03:31 pm »
I've thought about DIY with Coral or Lii drivers too

If you have room to pull speakers out from the front wall OBs will give you a different presentation than the Omegas.

The Lii single driver in a box will be more similar to the Omegas.
https://www.decware.com/newsite/Liiaudio.html

mick wolfe

« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2020, 05:33 pm »
When I had H1s a 2 watt Grommes SET EL84 was more than enough in a 12 x14 room.

I heard that very Grommes amp driving Wilson Watt/Puppy 8's once. This at decent levels as well. That is certainly the strongest 2 watts I've ever heard, especially considering it was coming from an EL84. Needless to say everyone present really wanted to hear this amp's true potential with a speaker approaching 100 db in efficiency.