Hot tip for Tube rolling in the Candela

TomS

Re: Hot tip for Tube rolling in the Candela
« Reply #80 on: 12 Apr 2007, 04:44 pm »

I just ordered some RCA Cleartops also from Brent Jessee to try out his week. Will be interesting to see how they compare in my setup.

Could you point me to this source?  I'm not familiar with all these tube suppliers yet. 

Thanks, 

Tom

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #81 on: 12 Apr 2007, 04:58 pm »
my preamp is the belles 21a and my tube progression was: mullard cv4003 (stock), rca cleartops (better), nos ei (pre war embargo, better), 1950's slyvania grey plates with baldwin organ label (better and close to the hytron) maybe a little leaner in the mid bass but this brings out a lot of detail, and now cbs/hytron 5814wa (best so far).
i was hoping someone did not like theirs and i could get a backup pair on the cheap :lol:
there's one tube i still want to try, '50's raytheon 5814, blackplate, triple mica, with red printed label.
marvin

Lkdog

« Reply #82 on: 12 Apr 2007, 08:28 pm »

I just ordered some RCA Cleartops also from Brent Jessee to try out his week. Will be interesting to see how they compare in my setup.

Could you point me to this source?  I'm not familiar with all these tube suppliers yet. 

Thanks, 

Tom

Here is link to Brent Jessee website. Very nice guy and comes highly recommended for his knowledge, attention to carefully matching pairs and customer service. My experience so far has been very good.
He helped my find some tubes to try out within my modest budget.

http://www.audiotubes.com/

rosconey

« Reply #83 on: 15 Apr 2007, 03:09 pm »
yup audiotubes is a good place to deal with-i bought a few types from him

TomS

« Reply #84 on: 15 Apr 2007, 03:27 pm »
I just bought a pair of clear tops from Andy at Vintage Tube Services.  He was great with advice for a noob.  Tom

Lkdog

« Reply #85 on: 16 Apr 2007, 01:37 am »
I have been burning in a pair of cleartops from Brent this weekend.

A different presentation than the CBS/Hytrons in my setup.
A bit brighter and punchier.
Excellent clarity.
Probably prefer the CBS/Hytrons so far but will see how they sound in a day or two.

carusoracer

« Reply #86 on: 16 Apr 2007, 06:23 pm »
 there's one tube i still want to try, '50's raytheon 5814, blackplate, triple mica, with red printed label.
marvin
[/quote]

See my posting in this thread...The 50's Triple Mica Raytheons are very nice. :wink:

Mullard Gold Pin 10M ECC82 even better aa

marvda1

« Reply #87 on: 21 Apr 2007, 02:38 pm »
does anyone know how the hytron 12au7 sold by the same guy on ebay sounds compared to the hytron 5814wa?
thanks,
marvin

martinr

« Reply #88 on: 21 Apr 2007, 04:17 pm »
5814WA is a tube built for military use - more rugged and lasts longer.....haven't compared it to the 12A7, but it is supposed to be a better tube.

aa

Lkdog

« Reply #89 on: 21 Apr 2007, 08:10 pm »
Usually people commenting on the CBS/Hytron tube specify the 5814a for whatever reason.
I am just getting into tube rolling a little bit, but these are pretty well regarded from what I have read.
They are very good in my setup.

« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2007, 01:10 am by Lkdog »

marvda1

« Reply #90 on: 23 Apr 2007, 04:16 pm »
i have the hytron 5814wa and would like a backup.  it seems the guy on ebay is out of them but he is still selling the hytron 12au7.  now if anyone would like to trade their hytron 5814wa for a nos ei pre war embarge 12au7 then i'm game :)

Lkdog

« Reply #91 on: 25 Apr 2007, 01:53 pm »
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=tubes&n=149149&highlight=baldwin+12au7&r=&session=

Here is some info on the CBS/Hytron 12au7 I stumbled across.
Sounds like they are different from 5814.

marvda1

« Reply #92 on: 4 May 2007, 11:57 pm »
surely someone does not like the cbs/hytron 5814wa's and would like to sell them?????

jrebman

« Reply #93 on: 11 May 2007, 01:53 am »
Tell you what -- I have a friend who is bring by some NOS Sylvania black plate 8514a's and some Amperex 7316 PQs, plus I have yet to give my Amperex Bugle Boy a try, but if any of those can live up to the Hytrons, I may be able to make you a deal.  No guarantees, but with all these new goodies coming in, it is at least theoretically possible.  The problem is that they are just to great in the gain stage of my Minimax, and I have yet to try them in both gain and buffer positions -- which I'm sort of afraid to do :-)

I do have one problem with that Walden Puddle guy on eBay -- his shipping is simply outrageous -- he charged me the full $7 per line item, plus another $1.35 for insurance, packed them all in one small, extremely lightly padded cardboard box and probably pocketed $20 or more in profit on the shipping on $95 worth of tubes.

If he can't get his shopping cart together so that it only adds one shipping charge for all line items (or if he manually refunds the difference via paypal), and if he doesn't start packing tubes a bit more carefully, I won't buy from him anymore. Tubemonger, Tube Depot, Brent Jesse and Vintage Tube Services all packed their tubes especially well -- worlds of difference from Walden Puddle.

-- Jim

surely someone does not like the cbs/hytron 5814wa's and would like to sell them?????

marvda1

« Reply #94 on: 11 May 2007, 03:42 am »
here's two more tubes you need to try, rca 5814 black plates triple mica and brimar 13d5.

jrebman

« Reply #95 on: 11 May 2007, 05:10 pm »
Yup, the triple micas are on my list, but somebody suggested they Sylvanias, so now I'll keep an eye out for the RCA's too.

I'll have to trust you on the Brimmer -- lots of folks say they're too warm, and unless there was one in my old Audio Note M1 -- which the seller thought he had put in, I've never heard one for myself.

Hell, I'm just lovin' this tube rolling thing again as it's been a long time that I've had any tube equipment that had much in the way of tube choices.

The Bugle Boy went in this morning, so in a couple days I'll see how that does -- so far very nice.

-- Jim

here's two more tubes you need to try, rca 5814 black plates triple mica and brimar 13d5.

marvda1

« Reply #96 on: 11 May 2007, 08:37 pm »
since the cbs/hytron 5814wa is a good match for the candela i think the rca 5814, triple mica, black plates would be a good match, it has just as much detail as the hytron but whereas the hytron sounds powerfull the rca is a smoother sounding tube. i prefer the hytron but use the rca as a change of pace tube, ones wine tasting (rca) and the other beer drinking (hytron) :lol: , i drink mostly beer.
i got my pair of rca's from walden puddle on ebay ($20) but since have not seen any more.  he does charge $7 to ship and does not put the tubes in boxes just bubble wrap and boxed.
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2008, 03:21 pm by marvda1 »

bunky

« Reply #97 on: 11 May 2007, 08:48 pm »
My pair of CBS/Hytron 5814 A's are supposed to be coming by mail anytime now. i hope they sound Heavenly :angel: :lol:

marvda1

« Reply #98 on: 11 May 2007, 08:49 pm »
bunky, where did you get yours and how much did they cost?

bunky

« Reply #99 on: 11 May 2007, 09:05 pm »
bunky, where did you get yours and how much did they cost?
I advertised that i WTB a pair at Club Polk and George Daniel/ Dangerbird responded and asked for my adress so that he could send a pair of them that he had to me.  8)