Advice on adding subwoofer pair to a Kismet Stratos

Illaheman

I own a Kismet Stratos that I’ve had about a year. I have a Hegel P20 preamp, and I’m streaming through an Auralic Altair G2. My speakers are not biwired. My preamp is connected to my amp using the xlrs. My rcas are unused on my amp.

I am planning to add a pair of Rythmik subwoofers. I don’t need to be talked out of buying these.
My speakers are pretty solid down to 35, so I’d like the breadth of sound these will add. I imagine blending the subwoofers in at about 40-50 if possible.

Rythmik offers a variety of plate amp configurations. I need to know which configuration-type to buy that would optimize my hardware configuration. I really need is some gentle and useful advice about the best way to hook these subwoofers up to my Odyssey. Which plate amp configuration?

JackD

Re: Advice on adding subwoofer pair to a Kismet Stratos
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2021, 02:50 am »
If you Hegel preamp has a second set of pre-outs then you have the choice of hooking up the subs either line level or speaker level.  Neither is difficult and you don't need exotic cables for either method.  If you have spare IC's and speaker cables laying about then try it both ways and see which one you prefer.  You may find you do or don't here a difference and go for the easiest method.  I have two pairs of F12's and have run them both ways. 

Illaheman

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2021, 03:21 am »

I have a CD player hooked into the pre-amp using rca’s. My streamer  is hooked in using XLR’s. My amp using XLR’s.
I’m planning to get the 12se subs. How do you like yours? Any concerns? They seem like a good value.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2021, 03:29 am »
Based on the spec sheet on Hegel's website if you are using XLR to the Kismet then you have an unused set of RCA outputs.  With this in mind then you can try hooking up the subs both ways and see which you prefer.  If you are looking at it from the convenience standpoint then using the RCA outs from the Hegel to the RCA inputs on the Rythmik is the simplest and safest method.  You can use any cheap pair of RCA IC's you have laying around or from Amazon. If you want to use speaker level you just need a pair of cables with the opposite connection method on the Kismet end than what you are using to your speakers whether it be spade or banana. 

Illaheman

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2021, 05:02 am »
Thank you.