Piano M1 skipping

wsturner

Re: Piano M1 skipping
« Reply #60 on: 7 Sep 2011, 07:16 pm »
+1 for Spotify!

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #61 on: 2 Oct 2011, 07:55 pm »
Mine also skips very occasionally a couple of times on a song. It stopped when I made a clean copy of the cd in question.

Mama Virtue

« Reply #62 on: 2 Oct 2011, 08:47 pm »
Guys, as mentioned the Piano having a bad transport is rare. And unfortunately I have had a few come in for repair, and I've tested the unit in question and occasionally can not duplicate the reported issue  :dunno:. We replace the transport anyway whether we can duplicate the issue or not. I've had reports of new units randomly "pausing" mid track (literally like 1 sec) after playing several CDs through non stop, a few weeks later the issue is gone due to the transport breaking in.

Here's some FAQs I've discovered in the last year.

Complaints of the CD taking too long to load. This is something that Piano after Piano will do, and if you have one you've already learned, it does it for 3 reasons: A. You've just powered the unit up with a CD in it and it feels like it takes forever to load after pressing play. Fix: Turn the unit on. Wait til it says the Track number. Then push play. If you turn on and push play immediately you're gonna just wait longer. I haven't sat there w/a stop watch but I figured it out after breaking in the first few Pianos and getting annoyed...

B. You've just turned the unit on and immediately pressed open, inserted CD and pressed close/play. Fix: Turn the unit on. Wait until it says No Disc. Then press open, and close/play, will load it twice as fast.

C. The unit has been on and you're switching CDs, takes a while to load. Fix: there isn't really one, but here's the CAUSES I've found:
CD is a burn and it just doesn't like it (same as any player, heck some players don't even recognize burns).                                                                       CD is scratched...I've gotten it to play some pretty beat up CDs...like "been on the floor of the car for a month" :duh: scratched, it will take a while to load...as would any player.
CD has more then 10 tracks. I don't know why, but I have noticed that the more tracks, OR if there is 1 single large track (like some Orchestral recordings) it will take longer to read it.

Skipping...this sounds retarded, but here's what I've found with actually BAD transports.

If you have a bad transport your skipping will be mainly on tracks 3, 10 and 14. Will play 1,2,4-8 (occasionally 9 will skip), 11-13 just fine. We've had 3 bad transports from factory and those unit obviously didn't ship. The 3 units that have come in for repairs would play just fine until one of those tracks. I'm not saying if your unit skips on any other track you don't have a bad transport, but every single bad one I've had will skip on multiple tracks and often not in order. And, not just several times during a track but occasionally, won't read the track at all, just sits there spinning and you have displayed track 3: 0:00...

The other thing that 2 of the bad from factory units did was not read the tracks at all (and would say no disc). So far I have not had ANY complaints of this, and the actual issue was the transport has a solder bridge that should be removed before shipping....it wasn't. Desoldered it and the transports worked just fine.

The only other complaint I've had was that someone got a green Display instead of a blue one. This depends on your shade perception honestly. IMO each Piano display can be more green or more blue depending on how you look at it, I've seen all of them  :wink:.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #63 on: 2 Oct 2011, 09:29 pm »
While my Onyx cdp was at the repair (still is, going on 5 months!) I  bought a USB dac in the form of the HRT Music Streamer II and I am incredibly happy with it .  The CDP, when repaired will go in the living room system that I almost never use.  IMO the dac sounds better (for 190$ delivered) and in my case I didn't need a dedicated music server.  I'm just using 15 feet of USB wire connected to my desktop computer.  With JRiver media center the interface is fantastic, I can actually quickly find the cd I am looking for quickly.  I just rip a cd in as I feel like listening to it.  As a bonus the player has an equalizer in it.

I also recently acquired a Virtue Two, that probably helped too :thumb:...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #64 on: 2 Oct 2011, 09:36 pm »
Mama Virtue I applaud your effort!!! When mine was being strange it would do many of the things you outlined above...I put in the new transport you guys sent me as I requested a bit of DIY for myself...It hasn't skipped once since, not once.....easy fix if it even happens to you so I wouldn't hesitate myself to purchase another if I had the need. The sound quality of these units just fits what I want to hear from my system. Keep making these if you can!!! :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Piano M1 / 2 found in stock
« Reply #65 on: 3 Oct 2011, 07:35 am »
Folks,

Cami found 2 pianos while unpacking.

https://store.virtueaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VRTU-CD-PIANOM1-PBF-1

If you want one now, go get-em!  We can build them any way you want (1 silver, 1 black in stock).

Seth