New Pioneer UDP-LX500 Player....the next mod candidate?

modwright

https://www.whathifi.com/news/pioneer-previews-udp-lx500-4k-blu-ray-player

New Pioneer UDP-LX500 4K Blu Ray Player with Stereo analog outs!

I am watching this one closely! It features full UHD 4K blue ray video playback and an exceptional 2CH AKM 32-bit DAC and analog out.

There is enough room inside the unit, to ideally build the power supply and tube stage inside the player!

Let me know if this interests you! More to come as I learn more about the player.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Ric Schultz

Re: New Pioneer UDP-LX500 Player....the next mod candidate?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:59 pm »
Dan,
The LX800 just got released too.  It has dual ESS 9026 DACs, balanced outs and SACD playback (don't think the 500 will play SACDs)......more money, however.

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2018, 12:06 am »
It indeed looks interesting.  Not sure why they didn't use the 9032 DACs, but it IS more in line with the Oppo! Does it also have digital inputs via USB for Hi-Rez streaming?

Dan

Tommy123

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2018, 05:04 am »
I would be interested in the LX800 mod.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2018, 04:24 pm »
Thanks! We will have to wait for its release.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2018, 04:40 pm »
It indeed looks interesting.  Not sure why they didn't use the 9032 DACs, but it IS more in line with the Oppo! Does it also have digital inputs via USB for Hi-Rez streaming?

Dan

It has USB for use with a hard drive - https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/Elite_UDP-LX500@180815_HR.pdf

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2018, 05:09 pm »
That is a good sign!

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2019, 11:03 pm »
OK, I have a Pioneer LX-500 in house and it has a lot of room inside!

What I can tell so far:

Shielding and rigid non-resonant treatment of the drive is the same as the LX-800 and this is great!
The bottom plate of the enclosure is also a heavy steel plate, adding to chassis rigidity and reducing vibration.
Video circuitry is fully shielded.

The stock analog stage is RCA only, but there is potential for us to offer XLR outputs.
The stock AKM DAC has a very nice sound, albeit a weak power supply.
There is A LOT of room inside the unit for us to install a power transformer, power supply, and our own analog stage which will elevate the performance of this unit SIGNIFICANTLY!

I am looking at a tube mod for the LX-500 that will be much less costly than that for the LX-800 and Oppo UDP-205. The main reason for this is that we do not need to provide an umbilical or external power supply.

Those interested, please let me know. I will be proceeding with a design for this first article and will post details, listening impressions and cost when complete.

Tommy123

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2019, 12:55 am »
Dan, do you plan to develop a LX800 mod as well? We can purchase the LX800 from abroad and ship it to you for the mod?

jhm731

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2019, 02:26 am »
NAD C 546BEE Compact Disc Player

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2019, 04:55 pm »
I can mod the LX-800, but I cannot convert to 120V.

I’ll check out the NAD. Thanks.

GregC

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2019, 07:32 pm »
Hi Dan,

The Pioneer looks like a good platform for mods.  Would the tubes fit in the enclosure without protruding through the top?  Do you feel confident with how players are phasing out that your return on investment is there if production is halted for this product?

Greg

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2019, 08:14 pm »
Hi Greg and good questions.

First of all, the tubes will be exposed in any mod we do simply to reject heat.  These players generate enough of their own heat and do not benefit from added heat from a pair of vacuum tubes.

The LX-800 has already proven to sound fantastic with the same mod circuit as the UDP-205, because the DACs are still SABRE and the implementation is similar.

The LX-500 will be something different.  The AKM DAC is voltage output, rather than current out. This means that our mod can be a bit simpler. Also, there is a lot more room inside the enclosure of the LX-500 to allow us to design our own internal power supply for DAC and analog stage circuits, leaving only the Video circuitry and basic controls being supplied by the stock switcher. For the record, this is also what the LX-800 does, with its own internal transformer for audio and DAC circuitry. I believe the switcher that supplies the video circuitry is the same or very similar in the LX-500 and 800 models.

This simplification of our mod for the '500' model means that the mod cost will be lower.

As to whether there is still a market for disc players, look at the outcry over Oppo going out of business? The Oppo Sonica DAC, even though having the EXACT same DAC and stock audio circuitry as the 205 player was NEVER the seller that the 205 was. So, while yes, DACs seem to be a thing of the present, many people still want a disc player and units that can serve both audio and video function.

In terms of capital investment and return for this mod, their is not a huge capital outlay in the design of a circuit, PCBs and selection of suitable transformer. A much bigger capital investment is for any MWI product with our own enclosures, custom packing, etc.  The mod business model does allow me to move fast and nimbly in this regard, responding to market changes.

Thanks,

Dan Wright

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2019, 08:16 pm »
The NAD looks like a great CDP, but it lacks digital inputs and does not appear to support SACD, DSD or MQA. For these reasons, I feel that the market for a mod to this player would be very limited, despite it being a great player I am certain!

Thanks,

Dan

GregC

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2019, 03:41 am »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for answering my question regarding the tubes being exposed for technical reasons like heat dissipation.  Also good to know you can leverage your prior designs in modding the units.  Based on your positive impressions of the UDP-LX800 I am curious how close the UDP-LX500 stacks up.

Greg

Waynefi

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2019, 04:53 am »
ld be interested in the LX500 mod.

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2019, 04:41 pm »
Thanks, I will have details and pricing for the mod soon. Please email kristin.modwright@yahoo.com and she will add you to our list!

I am very excited about this. It will be less expensive than the Oppo 205 mods and will be a one box solution.

Dan

Tommy123

« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:38 am »
Any chance the LX500 mod can be ordered with the following:
1. Furutech Fi-06 NCF outlet
2. Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX Premier
3. Bybee rails

Have you tried the "Zero Signal" grounding terminal on the LX? Does it improve sound in any way?

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2019, 05:10 pm »
We can offer the Furutech IEC, Audio Magic and I will have to see about the Bybee rail.

I have not tried the "Zero Signal" grounding terminal.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar 2019, 05:24 pm »
New MOD PCB in the house and built. Ready for install and testing today!