The VonOttos...Great Success!!!

EdRo

The VonOttos...Great Success!!!
« on: 23 Sep 2019, 01:22 pm »
The Meniscus/CSS audio event was this last 20th and 21st, in beautiful Grand Rapids, Michigan. Thank you guys for putting on such a fun event!!! It was more of a DIY/builder event, so I knew that I would get some experienced opinions from the people in attendance. And not only were the guys at the show knowlegable, but helpful. That isn't always the case between builders. There were many very good sounding sets of speakers at this show, so I was nervous. But when it was the VonOttos turn and the tracks started rolling through, I knew I had a winner. I know that the VonOttos styling isn't for everyone. I know that they're a bit large for some, but they really sound good. I felt like a proud father as the tracks poured out of them like audio velvet.  I had many slaps on the back and congratulations as they were playing and after. It was a very fun time.
    I have to say, if anyone has an interest in building speakers or talking to people that do, this is a great event to attend. And you never know who you might run across. Andrew Jones from Elac was there!!! What a great storyteller!!! He's had some amazing experiences through his long career, that's for sure!

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2020, 06:09 pm by EdRo »

EdRo

Re: The VonOttos...Great Success!!!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2019, 04:12 pm »

uncola

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2020, 10:04 pm »
wow these are crazy cool and use two of the most interesting drivers, the ceramic tweeter from transducer labs and you said an acoustic elegance woofer?  what does the mids in these?

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2020, 10:52 pm »
Looks like a set of Auroras that were put in a wind tunnel set at 1000mph.

uncola

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2020, 12:44 am »
What do they call that shape?  The usher diamond flagship towers have that shape too. https://www.allthataudio.com/?portfolio=usher-be-10-diamond-floorstanding-speakers

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2020, 02:01 pm »
Really cool post Ed, congrats!

EdRo

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2020, 06:20 pm »
Hey uncola! The 1.5" waveguide extends the low range capability of the TLabs dome to the point that a mid isn't needed. This makes for less x-o components, a simpler design overall, and hopefully a cleaner sound.

EdRo

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2020, 06:25 pm »
I liked your analogy, Gentle Bender. It's almost like this "Aurora" was getting stretched while being sucked into our dimension, like in that "Spiderman, into the multi-verse" flick.

uncola

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2020, 06:32 pm »
I didn't know a waveguide could make a tweeter useable so low.  Sounds like I need to investigate!   I thought that SEOS waveguide diysoundgroup used was just for controlled directivity for like.. dispersion control to eliminate reflections

EdRo

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2020, 08:25 pm »
This 1.5" deep wave guide seems to be the perfect depth for this TLabs tweeter. It works very well.