$10 off on BSG + Serenity

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 11 Jan 2006, 02:14 am »
Just an fyi for fans of those shows:  there's a coupon on the DVD of "Serenity" that gives you $10 off if you purchase it along with either "season" of BattleStar Galactica.  The combo coupon expires the 17th of Jan, so use it if you're gonna.

I used mine today to get Season 1. 8)

Folsom

« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2006, 02:34 am »
I just want to watch an episode that does not end in a clif hanger of Battlestar Galactica..... I can only watch the show while I am on break, so I end up cold turkeying it a lot, which sucks cause I want to know what happens.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2006, 02:47 am »
That's the beauty of DVD!  Yeah, I hate the way SF Network does their shows, in half seasons with lots of breaks and several cliffhanging "finales" per year.  Still, I love the show.  Whatchagonnado? :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2006, 08:00 am »
Finals? ! Battlestar Galactica is weekly cliff hangers! I must say that show is top notch, HBO material.

I have been a little surprised at the some what interesting new Stargate story lines.... There was a long period of "man I know I have seen this episode before but I think he was green last time", that seem to ring a little to often. The cast even admitted to ripping off their own show  :lol: .

Stargate Atlantis while slightly more original some how? Has got a good thing going on with the Wraith, they can work this out for awhile before they have to rip themselves off haha. I will not lie I find it still has some corniness that all fans of Stargate or recent watchers became accustomed too.

I usually never watch Serenity/Firefly what ever the shows name is, I do not watch so I do not know.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2006, 08:01 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Whatchagonnado? :lol:

I almost forgot, meditate.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:16 am »
I never watched SG1, always thought it was lame & cheesey.  But when Browder was added to the cast I started watching it.  Aside from the fact that he's 95% John Crighton, and the guest spots for Claudia Black, the show's still a bust.  But I'll probably gut it out for the season because it's the only way to see John Crighton again. :wink:

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:21 am »
I liked Farscape but..... some one has a man-crush  :o .

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:27 am »
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
I liked Farscape but..... some one has a man-crush  :o .

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  Actually Ayran/Claudia Black was more my crush.  There were a lot of hotties on that show.  But I liked Creighton- he was half scientist, half two-fisted hero & half standup comic! :lol:   There was a lot of humanity in him and he was a unique character.  Most swashbuckling sci-fi has the protaganist snuff wave after wave of faceless, alien villians, but John always held life as sacred and never killed carelessly.  Even creatures that weren't portrayed sympathetically were seen as sentient creatures deserving of life.  I liked the way that the show held these moral dilemnas for him.  And I loved the offbeat and unique brand of humor Browder brought to the role.

The cast of SG1 was & is simply lame to me.  I can't fathom why they chose McGuyver to be O'Neil! :o   He can't even lift Kurt Russells jock strap.  At a minimum they should have simply made him the leader of a different team.  And to make matters worse, they retained the actor well into that age where lack of testosterone has started to render him androgynous.  Yeeshhh, that's creepy to me.  He's got grandma lips, for God's sake! :o  :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:43 am »
Kurt Russells jock strap.... Grandpa lips...  :roll:

I have never considered Kurt Russell to be a good actor, and certainly not his jock strap.

I am not actually a fan of Stargate or Atlantis. While it is nice to know what happens, I go through the same watching a little kid cartoon. I have however seen an awful lot of Stargate episodes to say the cast grew into good actors, they have much surpassed the show. There are good episodes, then there are the mind blowing stupid ones. Again I am not a fan, just commenting.

Battlestar Galactica is the only truly great show that has zero downfalls that are always present in Stargate, Atlantis, and Farscape. The show really is a wonder, especially how it is not on HBO instead of Sci-fi. I am going to presume Sci-fi must be getting a large cash flow for that show, and expect an extended one. This is the first show I have seen that has surpassed Babylon 5 and stomped all over it. Yeah I remember Babylon 5, even if not every episode was good. I never made it a point to watch Babylon 5 but I did enjoy what I saw, feeling that it was a higher production show then most on TV.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:50 am »
I thought season 5 of B5 was a train wreck, the superb episode Day of the Dead excepted.  Still B5 is one of my all time favorite shows.  The creator didn't think he'd get to do season five, so the story arc was compacted to resolve things in the fourth season.  When it got renewed he admitted he'd blown his wad and didn't have much story left to tell.

Overall I think Farscape was a little better than BSG.  Mind you, BSG is excellent, it's get getting a little too "soapy" for me.  And there's the propensity towards cliffhangers that  you mentioned.  I think Farscape was more unique and original than BSG, and the characters were a little more compelling.  Really when comparing two shows that good it all comes down to personal preference.

I've never seen a whole episode of Atlantis, so I don't know if it's good or not.  I saw most of the one where Colm Meaney (aka Cheif Miles O'Brian from TNG) and it seemed okay, but I didn't know the backstories or what was going on.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:52 am »
You may be right about BSG vs B5.  I remembered B5 as being better, but watching it on DVD I think maybe the rose colored glassed got me.  It was great to be sure, but I never really liked the Sheridan character compared to Sinclair.  And obviously the production values were pretty comical compared to BSG.  I'll always love B5, but to me the 1st season was best, although the Shadow War stuff was inspired.

I'd love to see it remade, or at least the CGI stuff recut & replaced with modern stuff.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:02 am »
Soapy hm, perhaps... It is a huge drama, but not at a ridiculous point.

I like Battlestar Galactica because they never limit themselves on the scenery, nothing looks corny. All of the actors are believable and do not have any funny quirk to them to let you know you are watching some thing on Sci-fi. I do wish it had more action. Truth being that the action and drama are pretty fit for the story line, imagine being immensed into that situation.

I find while watching any of them and getting into the story, to believe all of the stuff going on (not in a real since but so you are not questioning the show), which is usually what you do, will hugely affect your opinion on the show. If you get into any of them you stop seeing them from an aspect of quality and what is or is not corny. I enjoyed what I saw of Farscape even though I know that the show was fairly corny. Honestly some of the characters just lacked believability and practicability of life in a universe of any kind. The often small and limited quirky, build of some of the environments, reminded me way to much of many other Sci-fi corny places. I think Sci-fi may only have a handful of set builders :lol: .

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:06 am »
I wish there was a bit more action on BSG, too, but I suspect budget is an issue.  Not to be cynical, but SciFi doesn't have deep pockets or big budgets.  The CGI is expensive, so I imagine they dwell on the characters more.

No, it's not so soapy as to be rediculous.  It really is about the best show currently on TV.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:13 am »
Perhaps wanting to have sexual relations with Tricia Helfer has some thing to do with my opinion. Bah who am I kidding she has always been hot. I am always trying to believe that an attractive female will make me want a product more or some thing of that sort…. You know commercials and advertisement, I just figure they do it for a reason but I have never felt or found myself compelled to any thing because of the attractive female involved. I just want to one day catch myself buying some thing, or of the likes, because of a female, so then I will, in my own mind, confirm the sociology science probably showed who ever that an attractive female would help.

Best show? Hm I am not sure of that I like The Sopranos. I only watch it from Netflix but.... HBO produces some killer stuff, Band of Brother, end of controversy.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:16 am »
God Tricia Helfer is hot.  Although I think I like Grace Park even more.  And have you noticed the chick that plays Starbuck looks better this season?  Looks like she firmed up and lost a couple pounds.

I've never seen the Sopranos.  I have cable but no 'premium' channels.  Haven't seen HBO or Showtime in about 10 years.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:24 am »
Me fraternize with a Cylon traitor?  

http://forum.serienjunkies.de/Upload/maxim-mar-2005-grace_park-001.jpg

Ok I might…..

No idea on Starbuck.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:25 am »
Helfer and Park would make great bread for a "Rob-which"! :inlove:

And the Xena-cylon ain't too shabby, either.

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:36 am »
I would need another pack of Guiness for Lucy Lawless.