Zombies

JohnR

Zombies
« on: 13 Nov 2019, 11:57 am »
It seems like every second offering on Netflix at the moment has zombies in it. I don't get it - what's the appeal? Hasn't this genre already been (excuse me) done to death?

Shakeydeal

Re: Zombies
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2019, 02:01 pm »
It seems like every second offering on Netflix at the moment has zombies in it. I don't get it - what's the appeal? Hasn't this genre already been (excuse me) done to death?

No, they are zombies. Not dead yet.............

Sry, couldn't resist.... :icon_lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2019, 03:25 pm »
A nice compliment to Netflix is The Criterion Channel.  Tons of great movies from all over the world and almost zero overlap with any of the other streaming services.  Pretty much zero zombie movies there, too. 

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2019, 04:24 pm »
No, they are zombies. Not dead yet.............

I thought they were dead, but reanimated.

Actually, that does sortof describe the whole genre...

Hm. Now I think about it, there was an Australian series I watched awhile ago that I quite enjoyed, I'm thinking it was technically about zombies but they didn't eat people or walk like they failed bad acting school twice - https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80108495

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2019, 02:55 am »
Hey John,
We just started watching Glitch. It’s super entertaining !!!  :thumb: wife loves it too.
Thanks for the recommendation!!

letch

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2020, 12:34 am »
I'm shocked, I thought everyone loved Zombies.

I do think the reason these movies are popular is that they do two things:

1. Get rid of the mundane and the banal trudging existence of the workaday world by demolishing it. Now we're free to live by our wits.
2. Introduce a threat to make things exciting. Otherwise we'd been trying to figure out how to light a fire, cut wood, cook without a stove or what have you. Then we'd be right back at step one.

Though the fast moving zombies are a bit much. Much prefer Romero's slower moving zombies.

And yes, both MUBI (30 curated art movies) and the Criterion channels are great places to get away from the glut of vampires and zombies and supernatural things on Netflix.