You all have to see Boyhood!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
You all have to see Boyhood!
« on: 26 Aug 2014, 07:21 am »
Wow! :o  Just saw Boyhood tonight and it was fantastic. :thumb:  It's really a unique film, and it's safe to say you may never see another like it.  It follows the life of a family, particularly a young boy, from the age of six up to freshman year of college- with the same cast!  The stars that you will recognize are Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette; they play the divorced parents of Mason and Samantha.  The "gimmick" if you want to call it that is that all the protagonists are the same actors, filmed over a period of twelve years.

The result is the most organic, honest feeling film I've seen in years.  The plot is really just life, and there's really no melodrama.  Even the greatest storms of life come and go, just leaving the players and their lives.  Ellar Coltrane, the actor playing Mason, is amazing.  There's a feeling of truth and integrity in following the same real actors over such a long period of time, and I don't think it would have had the same impact if the role had been recast for each age period.  It really helps to draw you into their lives deeply.  By the end you really care for these people.  The effect is less like seeing a movie and more like going on a long journey with the characters.  No age makeup, and you see real changes in the people that aren't simulated.  It must have been a remarkable story to film!  The adult actors did many other films while shooting this one, returning to it every few years under a veil of secrecy.  It's truly amazing.

I really hate to even say much specific about this film for fear of ruing the magic; it's something you simply have to experience.  If I'm lucky I am moved by a film in this manner maybe once or twice every couple of years.  Absolutely terrific film, not to be missed.

rockadanny

Re: You all have to see Boyhood!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2014, 12:59 pm »
Sounds like my kind of flick. Thanks for the reco!  :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2014, 03:28 pm »
Look forward to seeing it. Linklater is long overdue for a real Oscar contender and it looks like he's finally made one.

I also recommend 'Bernie', the film he did with Jack Black and McConnaughey a few years ago based on a true story. It's great.

Tubo

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2014, 03:40 pm »
It's the best film I've seen in years. As much as the boy grows up, in a real, natural way, it's the father who really changes and becomes a true adult.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2014, 07:40 pm »
Great point, Tubo!  The dad acts like a kid himself in the beginning.  Their journey to adulthood is his journey, too.  And there is poignancy in the mom's lament that she thought there'd be more than this to her life.  She kind of takes the brunt of life's storms; the dad is in and out of the kids lives, kind of a buddy and Santa Claus to them where she is their rock.

lowtech

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:57 am »
Seems like it was written for TV except for the fact that it was about 2 hrs too long.

My advice if you watch the first 30 mins and aren't feeling it, just walk away.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2014, 08:46 am »
It looks like this one is getting a lot of Golden Globe attention, and it's well deserved. :thumb:  There are several Oscar contenders that I haven't managed to see yet but of the ones I have seen Boyhood is the best.

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2015, 05:51 pm »
While I enjoyed the movie , it was a bit too long.
I think much of the hype is due to the 12 years of filming the same characters . Have a million films been done to great effect using different characters ? Yes.
 I loved the soundtrack of course, the acting was good to very good.
What is this movie about ? What's the point? There is no real plot, it's mumblecore.
 My wife , whose opinion I value, was groaning when will this pointlessnes end!! My god, why write a film about nothing? She hates mumblecore!! 
I liked the film overall, but I do think the film is way overrated!
The wife would have been happy to shut it off after 30 minutes, but I tortured her , forcing her to watch it all.
  I would say it's a very well done mumblecore movie. We have 8 billion reality TV shows , now it seems people want reality movies. 
  Do you enjoy mumblecore? Is a plot important to you?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2015, 08:01 am »
I've never seen Mumblecore but I'll concede that I'm not as well versed in reality programming as you are.  To be honest I don't watch any of them and never really have.  FWIW the movie is scripted and had a writer.

Now that this thread is bumped anyway I'll note that Patricia Arquette won a Best Actress Golden Globe and the film won Best Drama Motion Picture.  I think it will show well at the Oscars, too.

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:16 pm »
Hey Rob, first let me say I enjoy your reviews!!
Mumblecore is not a movie , but a genre .
     http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblecore
It's basically lower budget , art films , where dialogue is the key feature of the movie. Plot and action play little importance in these movies. A couple that I enjoyed from this year and past years, are Frances Ha, Before Midnight, and Tiny Furnature.

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2015, 06:15 am »
Excellent film. It is truly a distillation of the core themes Linklater has woven through most of his work. Especially as Dazed and Confused was 20 years ago (!), in a way he's come full circle. He has to take at least Best Director this year, he's long overdue for some recognition. I also like that this recognition is in parallel with both McConnaughey and Affleck's careers, both of whom got their start in that film.

The Dazed and Confused Criterion Blu Ray is awesome. Must own.

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2015, 06:29 am »
My wife , whose opinion I value, was groaning when will this pointlessnes end!! My god, why write a film about nothing? She hates mumblecore!! 

Boyhood is not remotely 'mumblecore'. The ambition of the project not to mention the direction completely undermine the definition you provided via wikipedia, which specifically refers to 20/30 something filmmakers with little resources. Boyhood may have had a 'low budget' in relative terms but it was shot completely on 35mm over 12 years, which as you know, is a dying medium and a more expensive one to shoot in. Factor in the seamless and I mean SEAMLESS post work to make the entire film look polished and exactly the same palette as though it were shot in a single shoot - that's an incredible feat. That ain't mumblecore, that's a talented director making it LOOK simple.

I think you're mistaking 'mumblecore' for plain ol' drama.

There is definitely a plot, how could anyone think there is no plot. It's not a Terence Malick movie. The plot is called growing up. You watch parents and children start out one way and slowly evolve into something else until by the end they all reach a new horizon and an uncertain future. The film is pretty linear in that respect. Boring? Ok well I can see how some would find that boring. But no plot? That makes no sense.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2015, 05:57 pm »
I saw this a while ago...thought I posted about it, but I guess it must have been a brain fart.

Anyway, this cracked my top 10 of all-time. It had an authenticity that just spoke to me. I related to it from many levels...as a friend...a son...a stepfather...a sibling...the new kid in school...boyfriend to a hot girl...etc, etc. It was an emotional wave that came over me and when the film ended I had to recover from it. Not from the film itself, but from the film being OVER. I wanted it to go on longer.

Amazing film. I think Linklater is my 2nd favorite director behind Jarmusch.

bk12

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2015, 06:17 pm »
I never post in this forum, but saw it on the front page.  I have to say that this movie is one of my favorite all-time movies.  It was an amazing connection to me in so many ways.  I am surprised at the number of average/above average reviews I have gotten from some of my good friends that appreciate good films...must have been a special connection to me.  Glad to see others had a similar reaction.  Thanks for posting!

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2015, 06:38 pm »
I never post in this forum, but saw it on the front page.  I have to say that this movie is one of my favorite all-time movies.  It was an amazing connection to me in so many ways.  I am surprised at the number of average/above average reviews I have gotten from some of my good friends that appreciate good films...must have been a special connection to me.  Glad to see others had a similar reaction.  Thanks for posting!

I have a theory about that, actually. Linklater was right around 40 when they started the project (early 50s now). I've noticed that younger people tend to find the film boring and didn't connect with it at all. Whereas people who were in the ball park of Linklater in terms of age (presently about 35-50, give or take) I think could realte to the same aspects of childhood AND adulthood as he did.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2015, 08:38 pm »

Anyway, this cracked my top 10 of all-time. It had an authenticity that just spoke to me. I related to it from many levels...as a friend...a son...a stepfather...a sibling...the new kid in school...boyfriend to a hot girl...etc, etc. It was an emotional wave that came over me and when the film ended I had to recover from it. Not from the film itself, but from the film being OVER. I wanted it to go on longer.

That's the kind of visceral reaction I had, too.  I just kind of sat there in the theater for a few moments to absorb it.  After that I took the long way home and just drove around a bit!

I have a theory about that, actually. Linklater was right around 40 when they started the project (early 50s now). I've noticed that younger people tend to find the film boring and didn't connect with it at all. Whereas people who were in the ball park of Linklater in terms of age (presently about 35-50, give or take) I think could realte to the same aspects of childhood AND adulthood as he did.

Good point.  At age 45 I see the film differently than a younger person would.  It feels like watching a real life, much like my real life.

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2015, 08:36 am »
So far it's really been consistent...I'm 42, so we're basically the same age...and so far I think everyone who connected to it like we did was in the age range I mentioned above. Younger folks think it was crap lol.

lowtech

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2015, 08:50 am »
So far it's really been consistent...I'm 42, so we're basically the same age...and so far I think everyone who connected to it like we did was in the age range I mentioned above. Younger folks think it was crap lol.

At 10 years your senior, I didn't think it was a piece of crap, but it wasn't in my top 100 for the year either.

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2015, 09:54 am »
Makes perfect sense....you're 3 years below my estimated range, so sort of in the transition area...you didn't think it was great, didn't think it sucked...  :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2015, 01:20 pm »
I'll be 68 come August and my opinion is that analysis of this film compromises the experience. Just as the exposition is seamless and whole contextually and in real time, the ingestion must flow similarly. For me it was all about the effect you feel from having watched - not really about production values or techniques or anybody's performance.

And as for plot, what are you seeking? Espionage? Explosions? Homicide? The title is Boyhood. Isn't that what the film was really about? We lived life through the eyes and experiences of a young boy from the first years where he can begin to intelligently assess the activities and repercussions that make up his life until he emerges from his family upbringing at the threshold of adulthood when he starts college. Who the hell can't identify with that? I mean, we all grew up. Right?