Just When I thought I Would Never Do This Again....

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Re: Just When I thought I Would Never Do This Again....
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jul 2012, 11:49 am »
The TuneIn radio app is probably my favorite app next to Netflix. I use it every day and love it.

Same here. Listen to Dinner Jazz Excursion. The new M50 headphones  outstanding

Douger

« Reply #41 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:25 pm »
What a coincidence... Last night I listened to John Rutter Requiem on Reference Recordings HDCD... Through my PS500's and my M50's! This music is very well recorded and features organ, chorus, soloist and orchestral instruments.
Truly awesome, but late enough I had to keep the speakers off.
Both sets of phones performed admirably. I was not surprised by the PS500's, but the M50's haven't received much love
lately and I hadn't used them for at least 6 months. Nice surprise!

dB Cooper

« Reply #42 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm »
The TuneIn radio app is probably my favorite app next to Netflix. I use it every day and love it.
Tune In is a great app. Check out Jazz Wyoming and Radio SwissJazz too. Jazz Wyoming, select the 256k stream.

ajzepp

« Reply #43 on: 18 Jul 2012, 04:48 pm »
Wow the 256kbps Jazz Wyoming stream sounds great!  :thumb:

Going to check out Dinner Jazz Excursion and Radio Swiss Jazz next.

DaveNote

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jul 2012, 06:14 pm »
Checked out Jazz Wyoming. Good sound and jazz. I prefer streams with as few interruptions as possible. Dinner Jazz Excursion at 128kbs is not as high a resolution, but very infrequent interruptions and even those are very short. No news. No commentary. And I like DJE because I prefer my jazz in this mellow style, and without vocals. Another station with more styles than DJE, but virutally no interruptions is Fallingstars from Korea.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 18 Jul 2012, 09:10 pm »
Hello,

Still waiting for the ODAC to arrive to do a comparison to the HRT MSii + USB dac I have with the O2 amp....but been listening again with both the Grados and the LCD2's they both are awesome...each in their own way...

Dave!! Guess what...I have a set of the ATH M50's as well!! Ha!! but I have not listened to them yet with the new amp...why...

Well I used the 50's on my game pc and because they are closed they work well when i am killing zombies  and dont want to disturb my wife!! lol

When I got the Grados I broke them  in playing games and i noticed an immediate difference and with the Grados I could hear things in the game i never heard before...so i placed the 50's on the side and havent used them since!!

I will try them tonight with some great music and see how they sound now!!

And the picture, JBL L100 Centuries...blowing him away!!

All the best
Alex
 :D

DaveNote

« Reply #46 on: 18 Jul 2012, 09:29 pm »
Hello,

Still waiting for the ODAC to arrive to do a comparison to the HRT MSii + USB dac I have with the O2 amp....but been listening again with both the Grados and the LCD2's they both are awesome...each in their own way...

Dave!! Guess what...I have a set of the ATH M50's as well!! Ha!! but I have not listened to them yet with the new amp...why...

Well I used the 50's on my game pc and because they are closed they work well when i am killing zombies  and dont want to disturb my wife!! lol

When I got the Grados I broke them  in playing games and i noticed an immediate difference and with the Grados I could hear things in the game i never heard before...so i placed the 50's on the side and havent used them since!!

I will try them tonight with some great music and see how they sound now!!

And the picture, JBL L100 Centuries...blowing him away!!

All the best
Alex
 :D

Alex, I'm going to be very interested in learning how your relistening of the M50 turns out. I might just have to bite the bullet and give Grados another chance.

Quite aside from their headphones, I still have a bad view of Grado from its first headphone amp (battery powered) I biught long ago. Terrible performance, and  the most poorly designed and built pieces of audio I ever bought. Made me a bit prejudiced against things made by Grado ever since.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 18 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm »
Dave,

I am listening to all three cans now, using many of the cuts I like with bass and vocals etc...old standards to me.

The 50's sound really 'Boomy' to me with almost all things with bass....the Grados sound very, very nice...taunt and tight and not exaggerated at all....the high end is bright and 'crisp' for sure....but the overall sound is really nice to my ears.

The LCD's have wonderful tonality but I cant believe how they sound a bit 'muddy' to me compared to the Grados....(tonight) maybe its my brain!!

I am playing an old Bill Whiters cd "Live at Carnigie Hall" not the best recording but the opening track 1...I dont have to strain to hear the audience and the people clapping...its very very clear.....so I guess this is to me 'open and transparent' you hear everything....I like this.

I wish the 325i's that I got we just a wee bit not so hot on the high end but its not a real deal breaker...

I find myself picking them up over the others more and more...OMG and what I paid for the LCD2's ...LOL.....

Going back to the LCD2's with the theme from the Pink Panther on one of the many demo cds I have the LCD2's win out with the overall musicality...the tonality is the thing with these, but they still have a 'veil' overall ...and the soundstage is better...but the Grados articulate better, and it may be the hot mid-to-hign end that allows them to be so transparent.

The 50's with the Pink Panther cut is good but not in the same league with either the Grados or the LCD2's...GREAT for the price but the bass is really sub-par compared to them...the vocals are good, the transparency is mid-level to me.

Seems like maybe ...just maybe the higher end Grados which I have not experienced may be the way to go for me in the end....

But my budget was $300 so the 325i's fit the bill.

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 18 Jul 2012, 11:28 pm »
Just for grins I turned on the Lyr and played with the Grados on it.
Voila this amp with them tones down that high end nicely and gosh its really good!

I know with the O2 amp which is technically more accurate is good and really shows what the Grados really sound like but the Lyr really is a GREAT match for them.

Ahhh technology!!
lol
Alex

DaveNote

« Reply #49 on: 18 Jul 2012, 11:32 pm »
Dave,

I am listening to all three cans now, using many of the cuts I like with bass and vocals etc...old standards to me.

The 50's sound really 'Boomy' to me with almost all things with bass....the Grados sound very, very nice...taunt and tight and not exaggerated at all....the high end is bright and 'crisp' for sure....but the overall sound is really nice to my ears.

The LCD's have wonderful tonality but I cant believe how they sound a bit 'muddy' to me compared to the Grados....(tonight) maybe its my brain!!

I am playing an old Bill Whiters cd "Live at Carnigie Hall" not the best recording but the opening track 1...I dont have to strain to hear the audience and the people clapping...its very very clear.....so I guess this is to me 'open and transparent' you hear everything....I like this.

I wish the 325i's that I got we just a wee bit not so hot on the high end but its not a real deal breaker...

I find myself picking them up over the others more and more...OMG and what I paid for the LCD2's ...LOL.....

Going back to the LCD2's with the theme from the Pink Panther on one of the many demo cds I have the LCD2's win out with the overall musicality...the tonality is the thing with these, but they still have a 'veil' overall ...and the soundstage is better...but the Grados articulate better, and it may be the hot mid-to-hign end that allows them to be so transparent.

The 50's with the Pink Panther cut is good but not in the same league with either the Grados or the LCD2's...GREAT for the price but the bass is really sub-par compared to them...the vocals are good, the transparency is mid-level to me.

Seems like maybe ...just maybe the higher end Grados which I have not experienced may be the way to go for me in the end....

But my budget was $300 so the 325i's fit the bill.

All the best
Alex

Thanks, Alex for the thorough assessment of the M50 compared to your new Grados and LCD-2. You have a great way of reviewing cans.

I'm not surprised by your assessment. Grado always seemed biased to the mid and high end to my ear, but I understand newer models than those I used are now much better in the low end.

I find the LCD-2 sound more mellow, which might be veiled in your terms, when using my Schitt Lyr, but not with solid state amps.

You write, "OMG and what I paid for the LCD"

I have just gone through a much more painful discovery in finding that the $20K plus speakers I bought don't sound as good to me now as ones I bought for $1400. Ouch!!!

Read my review here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106431.0

DaveNote

« Reply #50 on: 18 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm »
Just for grins I turned on the Lyr and played with the Grados on it.
Voila this amp with them tones down that high end nicely and gosh its really good!

I know with the O2 amp which is technically more accurate is good and really shows what the Grados really sound like but the Lyr really is a GREAT match for them.

Ahhh technology!!
lol
Alex

Hey Alex, my last message crossed with this one you sent. Makes perfect sense to me that your Lyr tones down your Grado, as it mellows my LCD-2.

I had, you may remember, Sennheiser HD800, but got rid of it because it was too cold, analytical, and tilted much too much to the mid and especially high end. The result was a headphone that was accurate to beat the band, but not enjoyable.

I probably would prefer my M50 to the HD800 for that same reason, as I prefer the LCD-2, to both. But you really are giving me lots of reason to try the Grado.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 18 Jul 2012, 11:53 pm »
Haaaa!

Omg Dave we have soooo much in common.

I too like many of us are in this hobby because we are searching for all those really neat things that most of the world just pass by.

I just spent the last 10 minutes listening to the Cymbals in the opening of Dreams!!!
Ha!

Its the little things in life that are important , even if its Lima beans!

All the best
Alex

DaveNote

« Reply #52 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:04 am »
Haaaa!

Omg Dave we have soooo much in common.

I too like many of us are in this hobby because we are searching for all those really neat things that most of the world just pass by.

I just spent the last 10 minutes listening to the Cymbals in the opening of Dreams!!!
Ha!

Its the little things in life that are important , even if its Lima beans!

All the best
Alex

Alex, are you my lost brother or something! Things in common!!

To use your acrronym, OMG, the opening cymbals on Dreams is my number one go to test for equipment!!!

I'm a freak for chrystilline cymbals, and it is one if the reasons I love my Axiom M80 speakers. Not surprsingly, no headphone I've ever heard comes close. To hear those Dreams cymbals explode like broken glass, they have to flare out of the right hamd of the soundstage in a way I don't think that headphones can't replicate.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #53 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:10 am »
M50's were always a "must have some day" now more then ever because of you guys!!!

PS500's were immediately "mhsd" when I first saw them and the o2 headphone amp is now a must have also.......OUCH...you guys are costing me...LOL...

PS500- $500
 o2- $156
 M50- $169
forget LCD's I still enjoy my HE5's plus I won't have cash for the until like 2015.....wow...I just wrote 2015 like its so close and when we were kids we thought 2000 was the FUTURE!!!!!  man I'm old........I'll go ramble over here......bye...LOL

(sometimes I just type)

Dudes link me to the album your talking about--cymbals etc...the old drummer in me needs to hear them???

dB Cooper

« Reply #54 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:18 am »
Wow the 256kbps Jazz Wyoming stream sounds great!  :thumb:

Going to check out Dinner Jazz Excursion and Radio Swiss Jazz next.

Only thing wrong with Jazz Wyoming is that it is apparently not a 'live' program; in other words, they apparently record the announcements, load the material into some kind of playlist manager, and let it roll. Well, who cares, except they will cut off a song hard, in mid-tune while you are just starting to get into it, to go to the news etc. It would also be real nice if their web stream supported song info.

ajzepp

« Reply #55 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:20 am »

I have just gone through a much more painful discovery in finding that the $20K plus speakers I bought don't sound as good to me now as ones I bought for $1400. Ouch!!!

Read my review here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106431.0

Wow! Now THAT'S a review lol. Great read.

ajzepp

« Reply #56 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:23 am »
Dave,

I will absolutely swear by Grado bass. The trade off is that Grados aren't bottom dwellers and they won't play flat down to 10hz like Beyers or Audez'e. But I'll be darned if the bass QUALITY is absolutely top notch. There can be a slight mid-bass emphasis, but the overall quality of the reproduction is very crisp and clean as you have mentioned. People don't think of bass when they think of Grados, but for those who value clean, accurate bass reproduction the Grados are very difficult to beat.

dB Cooper

« Reply #57 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:25 am »

forget LCD's I still enjoy my HE5's plus I won't have cash for the until like 2015.....wow...I just wrote 2015 like its so close and when we were kids we thought 2000 was the FUTURE!!!!!  man I'm old........I'll go ramble over here......bye...LOL

At the Capitol Audiofest the Woo Audio guys steered me away from the HE5's towards the LCD2's; I meant to check them out too but didn't make it back. The LCD2's were damn impressive I must admit but they are also another $300. Might end up cheaping out and going the T50RP route to indulge my planar curiosity.

ajzepp

« Reply #58 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:26 am »
Only thing wrong with Jazz Wyoming is that it is apparently not a 'live' program; in other words, they apparently record the announcements, load the material into some kind of playlist manager, and let it roll. Well, who cares, except they will cut off a song hard, in mid-tune while you are just starting to get into it, to go to the news etc. It would also be real nice if their web stream supported song info.

That probably won't bother me since I'm still not much for Jazz. I'm pleased just to have a nice quality stream to sort of get my feet wet with, you know? So in that sense this will fit the bill perfectly. I was really surprised how nice the music sounded on my T1s though...amazing separation among the instruments and there was a nice 3-D sound stage going on...I don't know if that's a function of the recording or what, but so far I really enjoy what I hear.

DaveNote

« Reply #59 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:49 am »

Dudes link me to the album your talking about--cymbals etc...the old drummer in me needs to hear them???

Fleetwood Mac, Dreams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_(Fleetwood_Mac_song)

The Old Drummer in you must, absolutely must, listen to Max Roach play Max's Variations on the second disc of this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Together-Best-Mercury-Years/dp/B0000046XO/ref=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1342658715&sr=1-9&keywords=clifford+brown+and+max+roach

Only a couple of minutes long, but it has everything a drummer just has to love on it. My best drum go to track.