SP2 Clipping

JohnnyB

SP2 Clipping
« on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:22 pm »
While playing CD's on my OPPO, which feeds the SP2 via RCA (Left / Right), I get a continuous clipping warning indicated in the LED window.

The music sounds fine.  I have CD mode selected and the Stereo submode selected. 

Please help me to understand this situation.

My guess is the signal level is too high.

Thanks, JohnnyB

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP2 Clipping
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:28 pm »
Hi JohnnyB.

Yes it is a THX requirement to indicate when the inout voltage exceeds 2 volts on the Analog input.  Ignor it as the SP2 can accept much more voltage than that.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:58 pm »
JohnnyB,

engage the analog bypass mode and there will be no clipping shown by the display.

al.

JohnnyB

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:11 pm »
Thanks James et all.

I use the 2 channel analog bypass whenever I don't use my 2.1 subwoofer (Extra Bass) mode.

Most of my listening is 2.1 as I setup the room using a calibrated mic with RTA.  I am amazed at how lean I used to listen to CD's. 

Cheers, JohnnyB

alexone

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:16 pm »
yes, the SP2 is a great performer! are you going the trade in the SP2 for a SP3, Johnny?

al.

JohnnyB

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:52 am »
Well, here goes my opinion!!

For now I am sticking with the SP2.  I run 6 RCA's from the OPPO 83SE to the 5.1 inputs on the SP2 and run in 5.1 Bypass.  Great for SACD / DVD-A / BluRay.

The future looks a little uncertain.  Unsure when we will shift-over to the cloud for all media.  Probably about 5-7 years away.  Then the SP3 will be obsolete.

Sincerely, JohnnyB

alexone

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2010, 04:47 am »
the analog 5.1 output of my Philips BDP 7500 Blu Ray player is connected with the SP2, too. one thing that makes me "nervous" is that the SP3 has much more (digital) inputs! but i am very pleased with the SP2's sound!! we'll see what's gonna happen...

al.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2010, 04:58 am »
Well, here goes my opinion!!

For now I am sticking with the SP2.  I run 6 RCA's from the OPPO 83SE to the 5.1 inputs on the SP2 and run in 5.1 Bypass.  Great for SACD / DVD-A / BluRay.

The future looks a little uncertain.  Unsure when we will shift-over to the cloud for all media.  Probably about 5-7 years away.  Then the SP3 will be obsolete.

Sincerely, JohnnyB

I concur.  I've bought expensive digital and video in the past now I think real hard over certain price points.  I am leaning towards a preamp with HT bypass and a processor I could rotate to the secondary basement system in that 5-7 year time frame.