SP2 Cuts out (shuts down)

redsierra

SP2 Cuts out (shuts down)
« on: 26 Mar 2009, 10:19 am »
Hello James.

I have an SP2 with a 9BSST.  The other day I was watching a movie and the combo shut down about 4 times during the movie.  The amp is turned on via the trigger wire, but both shut down.  When I turned on the processor again each time everything seemed to operate fine, until the next time it shut down.

Frustrating and annoying.  What are your thoughts.

What is the latest firmware?  Will that or could that be a factor?

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP2 Cuts out (shuts down)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2009, 11:19 am »
Hello James.

I have an SP2 with a 9BSST.  The other day I was watching a movie and the combo shut down about 4 times during the movie.  The amp is turned on via the trigger wire, but both shut down.  When I turned on the processor again each time everything seemed to operate fine, until the next time it shut down.

Frustrating and annoying.  What are your thoughts.

What is the latest firmware?  Will that or could that be a factor?

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

Yes I have seen this before and it is low voltage on the line.  If the voltage drops below a specific threshold the SP2 will reset to protect itself from software contamination.  The amp shuts off because the 12 volt trigger is interrupted when the SP2 shuts down.

james

redsierra

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:25 pm »
James, it shouldnt be the issue becuase it is plugged into an APC H10 Power Conditioner.

Any other ideas?

Perhaps not related, but what is the latest firmware for the SP2?

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:31 pm »
James, it shouldnt be the issue becuase it is plugged into an APC H10 Power Conditioner.

Any other ideas?

Perhaps not related, but what is the latest firmware for the SP2?

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

When you first turn on the SP2 it will show what version of software you have on the LED display - let me know and I will check for you.

I looked at the conditioner your using and it has a maximum of 12 amps capability.  Can you try just as an experiment unplugging the SP2 and put the power cord straight into the wall. 

james

redsierra

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:40 pm »
Hello James.  It is 1.06, May 2nd, 2008.

In terms of the Power Conditioner, due to the amp being between my speakers and the processor and other equipment being in another area, the 9B SST is not plugged into it, therefore the amperage shouldnt be an issue.  The only draw on the conditioner would be the SP2 and the HD DVD player.

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2009, 01:01 pm »
Hello James.  It is 1.06, May 2nd, 2008.

In terms of the Power Conditioner, due to the amp being between my speakers and the processor and other equipment being in another area, the 9B SST is not plugged into it, therefore the amperage shouldnt be an issue.  The only draw on the conditioner would be the SP2 and the HD DVD player.

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I know it seems like a long shot but I have seen this before and if there are other things on the power line then a quick sharp drop in current can cause the SP2 to reset.  I had one customer that had the same issue and it turned out every time his fridge cut in the voltage would drop and he would get a restart. We added a Torus and all was fixed.

The May 08 is the latest software.

james