movies with the 28BSST's

splittailz

movies with the 28BSST's
« on: 5 Jun 2008, 02:52 am »
after almost a month powered up with the 28's, I finally have had a chance to watch some movies in my "man room". I decided on the 28's for 2 reasons. First the great reviews in both stereophile and 6 moons. their reviews are dead on. Musically these amps are just out of this world. I have found nothing they don't do extremely well. very musical, great presentation, good timber, ultra fast on magnepans, stage is enormous and multi-layered, on and on. The second reason I purchased these was the comments, "musical from the first watt". this they most definitely are. and this is what I believe makes them a great front 3 channel amp for home theater. the volume can be kept down to a normal level. I am now hearing things in movies I never heard before. everything that makes them great musical amps, carries over to movies. but when a sound effect or something happens, it produces a realism like I have never heard. these will go from 2 mph to 200mph in a blink. its like someone just stepped on the gas with unlimited horsepower. soft background music has a quality i have never before heard. no fatigue what so ever. one day over memorial day weekend, i watched 3 blue ray movies with my wife back to back. very very pleasing experience. no listening fatigue what so ever. and some of the sound that is starting to be put on blue ray discs.....wow. I guess when they have a 50 gig disc to work with, they can come up with some really interesting stuff. once I get the 14 in the system for the surrounds, I feel like my journey will be over. I cant say how pleased overall I am with the Bryston/Torus upgrade I have done.

mr_bill

Re: movies with the 28BSST's
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2008, 03:01 am »
Split,
What speakers and front end are you using in your system?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2008, 12:05 pm »
after almost a month powered up with the 28's, I finally have had a chance to watch some movies in my "man room". I decided on the 28's for 2 reasons. First the great reviews in both stereophile and 6 moons. their reviews are dead on. Musically these amps are just out of this world. I have found nothing they don't do extremely well. very musical, great presentation, good timber, ultra fast on magnepans, stage is enormous and multi-layered, on and on. The second reason I purchased these was the comments, "musical from the first watt". this they most definitely are. and this is what I believe makes them a great front 3 channel amp for home theater. the volume can be kept down to a normal level. I am now hearing things in movies I never heard before. everything that makes them great musical amps, carries over to movies. but when a sound effect or something happens, it produces a realism like I have never heard. these will go from 2 mph to 200mph in a blink. its like someone just stepped on the gas with unlimited horsepower. soft background music has a quality i have never before heard. no fatigue what so ever. one day over memorial day weekend, i watched 3 blue ray movies with my wife back to back. very very pleasing experience. no listening fatigue what so ever. and some of the sound that is starting to be put on blue ray discs.....wow. I guess when they have a 50 gig disc to work with, they can come up with some really interesting stuff. once I get the 14 in the system for the surrounds, I feel like my journey will be over. I cant say how pleased overall I am with the Bryston/Torus upgrade I have done.

Hi split,

You raise some good points here.

Your comment "I am now hearing things in movies I never heard before." is a really important observation.  Bryston has always felt that getting the 'noise-floor' of the system down to very low levels is what gives the gear the ability to extract the 'inner details and low level information' that takes the system to a state of the art performance level.

With our new amplifiers we are getting noise floors at the theoretical limits of the technology and essentially dealing with the thermal noise of individual components.

james

PS -It is in my opinion why the Bryston CD Player has been so hugely successful. Individual circuits for analog and digital, independent ground plains, independent digital and analog power supplies , discrete Class A operational amplifiers all contribute to a very 'quiet' product.

« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2008, 12:47 am by James Tanner »

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2008, 01:57 pm »
Excellent review!  I agree with James about the low noise floor.  It enables you to hear nuance in movies.

Your watching experience with 28BSTT will be hightened better if you are using SP2 processor.

Cheers,
Levi

splittailz

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2008, 02:52 pm »
I have a full Magnepan home theater. Highly modified 1.6 mains, CC3 center, CC3's hung from the ceiling for surrounds. 2- JL Audio Fathom 113's for subs. Conrad Johnson Met 1 multichannel linestage for the controller. Processing done in the players.Outlaw ICBM for bass management. In the next couple of weekends, I will be installing a Audyssey Pro Room Correction unit.