HDCD Question & Sound

bacmsl

HDCD Question & Sound
« on: 18 May 2008, 02:22 pm »
A question for James, will the new outboard DAC decode a HDCD signal. Also, does anybody have any experience with the HDCD sound, or is it just another fad with no real improvement in sound quality. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: HDCD Question & Sound
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2008, 02:39 pm »
A question for James, will the new outboard DAC decode a HDCD signal. Also, does anybody have any experience with the HDCD sound, or is it just another fad with no real improvement in sound quality. 

Hi,

No -the BDA-1 outboard DAC will only decode PCM Stereo.

james

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2008, 04:49 pm »

I've personally found that the quality of the CD playback chain makes much more difference to me vs. whether a disc and hardware can do HDCD.  Just look at the difference in sound quality in mixing and mastering of CDs.  There's definitely an art in it.  I have some CDs that sound OK and others with wonderful sonics.  There is only so much one can do with a crappy recording.  I've had HDCD in players and still have it in the basement rec'r which is a secondary system that does not get used all that much.  I may shift an outboard DAC I currently have in the secondary bedroom system to the basement.  I've had the DAC in the basement system in the past along with an HDCD player and also as noted HDCD in the rec'r.  A good recording always sounded better to me on the best playback chain (the DAC connected to a good transport to match) vs. decoding the disc as HDCD.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2008, 04:50 pm »

HDCD is a great technology, but finding a DAC that will support it is very tough. The Berkeley Audio Design Alpha will do it, but I believe that unit is about $6k. In the long run I don't think HDCD will be very relevant. It was developed to get the most out of a 16/44.1 physical CD. Now that we can download 24/96 and higher without the limits of a CD I just don't see the point. The stellar recording technics often associated with HDCD recordings are still relevant, but the HDCD spec part is not in my opinion.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2008, 05:22 pm »
One of my favorite dac's was the Classe DAC-1 that supports HDCD.  If it had volume control I'd probably still have it.  You can get a used one at Audiogon or e-bay for $800 - $1000;  if you don't like it you can always re-sell it.   

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2008, 05:34 pm »
I have 'Tool- Laterals' which I believe is HDCD, can't read the small print. My BCD-1 plays it, is this in HDCD? Sound quality is excellent.

brucek

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2008, 06:51 pm »
I've personally found that the quality of the CD playback chain makes much more difference to me vs. whether a disc and hardware can do HDCD

Yeah, I have to agree. I've always enjoyed the HDCD's that I own, but I find that they all appear to simply be better recordings, and I don't know if it really has anything to do with the HDCD encoding.

My chain is an ARCAM ALpha9 Player with HDCD, Bryston SP2, Bryston 4BST, ProAc 3.8 speakers. The HDCD's sound great, but so do a lot of other great recordings that don't enjoy HDCD endoding.

brucek

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2008, 07:09 pm »

I just came across an article on the various recording technology, but can't remember the site.  HDCD definitely is an improvement over redbooks.  I think all (or not all?) Reference Recording CDs use HDCD.  But... HDCD is somewhere below SACD in terms of signal quality (sonically).

Stu Pitt

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2008, 03:20 am »
I have 'Tool- Laterals' which I believe is HDCD, can't read the small print. My BCD-1 plays it, is this in HDCD? Sound quality is excellent.

Lateralus is one of my favorite albums.  Yes, it's an HDCD.  I believe it has an HDCD layer and a standard Redbook layer, but I'm not sure of the technical stuff.  It plays in all non-HDCD players, so I'm assuming it isn't playing the HDCD layer.

If you think that one's recorded and mixed well, have you heard 10,000 Days?

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2008, 03:39 am »
I've personally found that the quality of the CD playback chain makes much more difference to me vs. whether a disc and hardware can do HDCD

Yeah, I have to agree. I've always enjoyed the HDCD's that I own, but I find that they all appear to simply be better recordings, and I don't know if it really has anything to do with the HDCD encoding.

My chain is an ARCAM ALpha9 Player with HDCD, Bryston SP2, Bryston 4BST, ProAc 3.8 speakers. The HDCD's sound great, but so do a lot of other great recordings that don't enjoy HDCD endoding.

brucek

I keep waiting for one of those Arcam Alpha 9 players to pop up on agon because i heard they are really good cdp and they are old enough the should be reasonable but they don't seem to ever come up they must be good every one is holding on to them

ED

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2008, 03:39 pm »

http://www.sa-cd.net/faq#audio4

bacmsl

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2008, 10:46 am »
Thanks for all the input, now I wonder if SACD is here to stay or if Blu Ray will take over or if the 2 Channel recording industry will go bye the way side and the only high definition recording we will have are going to be 5.1 and 7.1.