More power to 9BSST

Tony1

More power to 9BSST
« on: 11 May 2008, 05:10 pm »
James,

I have a feeling this topic has been brought up but can't find it when searching. Any plans or chance of raising the 9b to 200w or 250w?  There are many multi-channel amps that are either 200 or 250.  If physical size is an issue then maybe raising the power to still fit it's current size.  I like my 9b but think it would sound amazing if the 9b were say 250w/chan as I have B&W's in my surround system that are 250w. I can imagine how much better they would sound with a more powerful Bryston amp. I wish I had the room for more amps unfortunatley I don't. I know there are the powerpacs but don't have a lot of outlets in the room don't want a bunch of interconnects and powercords all over the place.  So just curious if this would be considered in the future.

Thanks

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: More power to 9BSST
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2008, 08:00 pm »
James,

I have a feeling this topic has been brought up but can't find it when searching. Any plans or chance of raising the 9b to 200w or 250w?  There are many multi-channel amps that are either 200 or 250.  If physical size is an issue then maybe raising the power to still fit it's current size.  I like my 9b but think it would sound amazing if the 9b were say 250w/chan as I have B&W's in my surround system that are 250w. I can imagine how much better they would sound with a more powerful Bryston amp. I wish I had the room for more amps unfortunatley I don't. I know there are the powerpacs but don't have a lot of outlets in the room don't want a bunch of interconnects and powercords all over the place.  So just curious if this would be considered in the future.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

It is a common question I get and it really comes down to Power Supply size.  The Bryston power supplies are extremely linear and very "stiff" ( better transient control).  We also use a completely independent power supply section for each channel in every amp we build- so the 9B has 5 complete independent power supplies.  The reason we do that is so that each channel is operating like a single MONO channel and no channel is 'sharing; signal with another. Many multichannel amplifiers share channels with a power supply and therefore can use much smaller power supply sections.

Also be aware that in order for the ear to detect a difference in power you have to double the power. So moving from 140 watts to 200 watts does not buy you much. You would have to go to 300 watts --- that's why our amplifiers generally double in power as you move up to the next more powerful model.

james

PS - happy Mothers Day to all you mothers out there.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2008, 09:03 pm »

...thank you, james! hope you had a nice mother's day as well.

alex.

niels

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2008, 12:30 pm »
What do you mean you have B&W´s that are 250 w and why is this important ?
All Bryston amps actually put out quite a bit more watts than specified anyway. I believe mine is at least 20 % above specs, when the powerline voltage is high enough that is.
You could however change your amp to one 4B for the fronts, and Powerpacks for the rest. Just a thought.

splittailz

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2008, 04:48 pm »
my 2 big 240 volt amps actually measure 25% over on the Bryston spec sheet.

niels

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2008, 06:09 pm »
I stand corrected. Just checked my spec sheet, and yes, 25 % it is.

_andy_

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2008, 11:57 pm »
my 9B test sheet sez 158w/ch