14B-ST the same as 14B-SST

mv038856

Re: 14B-ST the same as 14B-SST
« Reply #40 on: 1 May 2008, 03:18 pm »
Hi Markus,

Here is the feedback from Engineering - can you see the 'revision number' on the transformers?

James

-----Original Message-----
Sent: April 28, 2008 10:28 AM
To: James Tanner; Brian W Russell
Subject: RE: 14B ST vs. SST

Hi James;

We've used both clear and black tape on all models of transformers over the years. The current SST ones are black, and have been consistently black for some time, so I would guess the ones in Markus's 14B are SST's.  We'd need the revision # from the transformer to tell for sure.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi James,

removing the top cover, no revision number is visible - on neither transformer. I assume, I would have to disassemble the amp or just remove the transformers to check, whether there is in fact a sticker somewhere on the transformers... well, while I am confident that I could replace some parts of the chassis (like the front or back panel), I don't want to take the amp apart completely... too risky.  :wink:

It seems as if I just had to believe that the transformers have been replaced at some point. In fact, the pictures of the different magazines suggest exactly that: HiFi&Records - transparent tape vs. Audio - black tape. So why would one exchange the transformers if there wasn't a change (like from 14B ST to 14B SST)? The question which are the more recent ones remains unanswered without the revision numbers.
BTW, which transformer revision numbers have been used in a 14B ST vs. SST?

On the other hand, 14B SST transformers don't fall from the skys, not even in Munich. Have you, i.e. Bryston, shipped a pair of 14B SST transformers to Sun Audio to upgrade a 14B ST?

Thanks and have a happy holiday! (is May 1st a public holiday in Canada as well?)

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 14B-ST the same as 14B-SST
« Reply #41 on: 1 May 2008, 03:39 pm »
Hi Markus,

No - May 24th is the holiday in Canada - Queen Victoria's birthday.

I will try and find out the revision numbers on the new SST 14B's for you.

james