FB1 -> IB1 upgrade seeking suggestions

b5pt9

FB1 -> IB1 upgrade seeking suggestions
« on: 16 Mar 2008, 10:08 pm »
I'm upgrading to IB1's :drool:

My current speakers are FB1+ and I've got the placement figured out pretty well for imaging.  For a starting point with the IB1 placement are there any guidelines compared to FB1's - closer together, further apart, forward or back, etc?

Any other tips from IB1 owners?  Thanks, can't wait to hear these! 

Alfalfa

Re: FB1 -> IB1 upgrade seeking suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2008, 10:27 pm »
Great!   :thumb:

My experience in a 17 x 17 x 12 foot room (with large sliding doors to adjecent mirrored room)  has led me to put the IB2's (comparable in room loading I's guess) 7-8 foot apart (center axis), 3-4 foot from the side walls and about 5 foot from the rear walls. Bass can be heavy on some recordings, but is just superb on the majority!

b5pt9

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2008, 03:13 pm »
Well the IB1's are stunning  8).  They ended up in the same place as the FB1's, no surprise really as the stereo image is probably more room dependent than specific to the speaker.

The midrange driver makes a huge difference as I expected, I'm hearing all kind of detail in instruments that wasn't there before.  And the bass is fantastic although I can tell I need bass traps and basic room treatments to let these really shine.

predrag

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2008, 03:43 pm »
Hello!

Well, upgrade from OB 1 to IB 1 or EB 1 is my option right now.
Having heard all of  these loudspeakers my opinion is that any black (studio) model from PMC plays in a completely different league.
The only issue is if the owner has appropriate place to let them breathe properly.
Enjoy your setup as it is among the finest existing!

Viajero5000

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:57 pm »
predrag:

(besides the cabinet finish) what difference is there between the studio ('black') and home models?

predrag

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2008, 08:20 am »
For IB2 - IB2S and MB2 - MB2S the diferece is only finish. No technical or sound difference.
What I meant is that black ones look so cool and cost somewhat less and for me that finish is the only option.
I listened for about two hours to IB1S and that makes such a big sound effortlessly.
That 10 in bass driver is what relly makes difference compared to OB1!

niels

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2008, 09:28 pm »
Funny, I only find the IB1 in the professional range, and in black finish only, did I miss something ?

b5pt9

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2008, 09:42 pm »
Funny, I only find the IB1 in the professional range, and in black finish only, did I miss something ?

I think it's discontinued in the consumer line, replaced by the IB2 with better midrange driver.

predrag

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2008, 07:02 am »
Yes, IB 1 is available only as black with "S" (studio finish).
IB 2 is far more expensive.
There is alternative: EB 1i (Extended box) which has a new tweeter from SEAS. The bass and midrange driver are same as IB 1 S. Has a normal veneer (no "S" version).
Last year I heard the "old" version with all the drivers same as IB 1S.
Big speaker with huge sound. Asks for a big amp or monoblocks. Must hear!