SP1 remote codes

gaderson

SP1 remote codes
« on: 18 Nov 2004, 06:04 am »
I'll soon be aquiring a SP1, and am wondering about the remote codes (aka descrete on/off, mute, etc.).  I have a Harmony Remote and it does have the SP1 in it's database.  I printed out the list for the SP1.7, and wondered what differences if any there are (or just additions for the .7 upgrade).

Also what about controlling another A/V switch?  I'm thinking of eventually aquiring either the newer Zektor HDS4.2 or maybe a scalar (say, an iScan HD), and am wondering if/how I can get the SP to control the switch--could I get it to learn the codes that control the SPV1?

jethro

SP1 remote codes
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2004, 11:25 pm »
gaderson,

I still have my SP-1 remote from when my SP-1.7 was an SP-1. It seems to operate my SP-1.7 with no problems, except for some of the new features are missing. As far as I can tell, the SP-1 remote has no "CODE" button like the SP-1.7 remote does, so what you see is what you get with the SP-1 remote. BTW I really liked the SP-1 remote's membrane buttons and simplicity.

I looked at the HDS4.2 website. It looks like your are out of luck with the RS-232 control (unless a computer or device with 2 serial ports  and sofware is inserted between the SP-1 and HDS4.2) but the  webite says that the unit will learn the codes of a remote. I'm not sure exactly how the codes are assigned to the operations of the HDS4.2 because the link for the user manual is the same as the brochure link.

I would be more tempted to purchase an SPV depending on the number of video inputs that you require, and whether you have more audio inputs than provided by the SP-1.

The Iscan is a different choice because of its scaler functions, however, I imagine that it could be used with the SPV to get OSD, scaling, and switching.

gaderson

SP1 remote codes
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2004, 11:51 pm »
Quote from: jethro
gaderson,

I still have my SP-1 remote from when my SP-1.7 was an SP-1. It seems to operate my SP-1.7 with no problems, except for some of the new features are missing. As far as I can tell, the SP-1 remote has no "CODE" button like the SP-1.7 remote does, so what you see is what you get with the SP-1 remote. BTW I really liked the SP-1 remote's membrane buttons and simplicity.

Ok, so I guess I'll play around and see what I get.

I looked at the HDS4.2 website. It looks like your are out of luck with the RS-232 control (unless a computer or device with 2 serial ports and sofware is inserted between the SP-1 and HDS4.2) but the webite says that the unit will learn the codes of a remote. I'm not sure exactly how the codes are assigned to the operations of the HDS4.2 because the link for the user manual is the same as the brochure link.

Yeah, unless by some miracle the use the same serial codes then I could go for a direct hook-up.  I already have the HDS4, so I'll likely try and get it to learn some new codes.

I would be more tempted to purchase an SPV depending on the number of video inputs that you require, and whether you have more audio inputs than provided by the SP-1.

But, I need 4 component inputs, for which the SPV is wholly inadaquate to the task.  I may consolidate to 3 inputs, but, that still leaves me with one fewer input.

The Iscan is a different choice because of its scaler functions, however, I imagine that it could be used with the SPV to get OSD, scaling, and switching.

If consolidated to three components (DVD, HD-TiVo, DVHS integrated VCR), I'd hook up my DVD, after modding, by SDI, and then have two component inputs, so it'll work as a scalar and switcher--may wait for and iScan with more DVI/HDMI inputs if I was to 'upgrade' to a digital display.