BP 27?

Simm

BP 27?
« on: 27 Jun 2013, 02:16 am »
I would like to see a new Bryston Preamp (BP 27?) with the following minimum features: balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs; remote to include: balance, phase, volume, mute; a display screen to show volume, balance, input, etc., dimmable; latest analog circuitry; external power supply; expandable to allow inclusion of Phono Preamp or DAC within the main unit. Something of this caliber is needed to pair up with the 28BSST2 Thoughts?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: BP 27?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2013, 02:34 am »
Well i own a BP-26 with the BP1.5 phono box added on.
One way it could be upgraded is to have the total separate right and left channels like the BP-17.
Though for myself...
The only thing I want is a tone control box add on. (Which has been discussed and vetoed as never will happen)
But a comprehensive set of defeatable tone controls would be sweet.

(I have no need for a screen display, as my BP-26 is only a foot away off my left. So I do not even use the remote control, though I have one.)

bjski

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2013, 03:47 am »
+1..........the screen display is not important remote is.

budcook

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2013, 03:59 am »
I would like to see a new Bryston Preamp (BP 27?) with the following minimum features: balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs; remote to include: balance, phase, volume, mute; a display screen to show volume, balance, input, etc., dimmable; latest analog circuitry; external power supply; expandable to allow inclusion of Phono Preamp or DAC within the main unit. Something of this caliber is needed to pair up with the 28BSST2 Thoughts?
Balance and input are displayed in lights on the front of the BP-17 and can be seen from the listening position. Volume can be determined by ear.  I think external power supplies are overrated.

Bud

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2013, 09:07 am »
...any new preamp should have optional digital inputs (up to 192/24) like usb, coax and optical.

al.

Wim J

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2013, 01:17 pm »
the BP27, should be like the BP26 PLUS full remote and home theater pass trough (gain 1X),...
no further wishes !

95Dyna

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2013, 03:07 pm »
Bryston is not in the Swiss Army knife business.  They make balls to the wall products designed to do specific things well.  Aside from the BDP-1 I can think of no better example in the product line than the BP26.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2013, 03:15 pm »
 All good points to consider.I think that a separate power supply to be a good feature. :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2013, 10:29 pm »
  I would have to see the toggle switches to feel professional 8)

Karhu

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2013, 04:31 pm »
My only update request for the BP27 would be a balance control on the remote, oh and can we have small/blue Leds option to match the aesthetics of the BDP-2/BDP-2.

budcook

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2013, 12:41 am »
I bought a new BP-26/MPS-2.  You BP-26 fan boys had better be right :green:

Anyone interested in a nearly new BP-17 please PM me.

Bud
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2013, 04:04 am by budcook »

goneretsof

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2013, 05:19 pm »
Hi Bud
I hope you were not up at 12:41am thinking about this stuff. Maybe its a time zone thing.
I am sure you will enjoy your bp26 but I have not heard the bp17 yet so I can not comment
on a comparison . What I can say  I really like about my bp26 is the clarity of detail without
being bright and the control of low frequency info like kick drum. Like some others here I also own a
tube preamp (VAC renaissance mk2).  What can I say , it brings different things to the table and I also enjoy
this piece of equipment. I still remain a bryston fan because I have heard a ton of different equipment at a lot of audio shows ( which is never a fair way to judge) but it does give a pretty good idea of what sound the company is aiming for.  To my ears Bryston should always be proud of what they make. And as others have said here this company really does try to provide service and I appreciate James's patient input to this site.
When a BP 27 shows up I am sure all of us will be tempted, but enjoy the 26 it is a fine piece of equipment.
Geoff

budcook

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2013, 06:45 pm »
Hi Bud
I hope you were not up at 12:41am thinking about this stuff. Maybe its a time zone thing.
I am sure you will enjoy your bp26 but I have not heard the bp17 yet so I can not comment
on a comparison . What I can say  I really like about my bp26 is the clarity of detail without
being bright and the control of low frequency info like kick drum. Like some others here I also own a
tube preamp (VAC renaissance mk2).  What can I say , it brings different things to the table and I also enjoy
this piece of equipment. I still remain a bryston fan because I have heard a ton of different equipment at a lot of audio shows ( which is never a fair way to judge) but it does give a pretty good idea of what sound the company is aiming for.  To my ears Bryston should always be proud of what they make. And as others have said here this company really does try to provide service and I appreciate James's patient input to this site.
When a BP 27 shows up I am sure all of us will be tempted, but enjoy the 26 it is a fine piece of equipment.
Geoff
Thanks for the comments Geoff.  I'm on Pacific time so I don't think I was up that late. 

I really like the BP-17 but I wanted a couple of balanced inputs and after hearing about how the MPS-2 makes so much difference I decided to go ahead and buy it.  When it arrives, I'll do a lot of comparison testing and keep the one that works best and sounds best in my system.  I hope the BP-26 adds more detail to the bottom end.  I do like the position of the sound stage of the BP-17 but it could be wider.

If it doesn't work out, i won't lose any money on it.

I think Bryston has got to be working on a BP-26 replacement but I'm too old to wait for it.

Bud

mkaiser

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2013, 02:24 am »
All good points to consider.I think that a separate power supply to be a good feature. :thumb:

I agree, plus having a separate power supply frees up space in the pre section to add todays multiple digital inputs/outputs as well as multiple analog input/outputs.  :thumb:

95Dyna

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2013, 04:25 am »
I bought a new BP-26/MPS-2.  You BP-26 fan boys had better be right :green:

Anyone interested in a nearly new BP-17 please PM me.

Bud

Sounds like you already have made up your mind, Bud.  I know, just the look of the BP26/MPS2 puts the BP17 to shame.  You have nothing to worry about the BP26 and low end detail.  My 26/7B SST2 combo is astonishing in that regard.  Of course the pair of 12" woofers and 6.5" mid bass driver in each of my speaks doesn't hurt the cause.

Cheers from your friendly neighborhood BP26 fanboy  :thumb:

budcook

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2013, 03:43 pm »
Sounds like you already have made up your mind, Bud.  I know, just the look of the BP26/MPS2 puts the BP17 to shame.  You have nothing to worry about the BP26 and low end detail.  My 26/7B SST2 combo is astonishing in that regard.  Of course the pair of 12" woofers and 6.5" mid bass driver in each of my speaks doesn't hurt the cause.

Cheers from your friendly neighborhood BP26 fanboy  :thumb:
I have decided to keep the BP-26 and sell the BP-17.  Both are great sounding pre-amps.  I think James described it best, the major difference in sound is the position of the sound plane.  I'll miss the superior ergonomics of the BP-17 but I have easy access to the preamp and I switch sources with my BDA-2 so I don't need that feature on the BP-17.  I also think that headphones sound better with the 17.  However, I have a BHA-1 to listen to headphones.

What swung the decision for me is the balanced inputs.  The two preamps may sound similar but only with single ended inputs.  When I listened with the BDA-2 connected with balanced cables, I preferred the BP-26.

So if someone wants to save a good bit of money on a nearly new BP-17, please PM me.

Bud 

spinner

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:17 pm »
  Yes once again the balanced  outs are a must  IMO. Perhaps that can be offered on the bp18 :thumb:

budcook

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:34 pm »
  Yes once again the balanced  outs are a must  IMO. Perhaps that can be offered on the bp18 :thumb:
The BP-17 has balanced outputs.  I would never have bought it if it didn't.  What it lacks is balanced inputs.  That's one reason I bought the BP-26.

However, I would like to use balanced outputs from my BDA-2 to both my pre-amp and my headphone amp.  The fact that the BDA-2 has only one set means I have to choose which is more important to me, speakers or headphones.

Bud

spinner

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2013, 10:28 pm »
 Sorry I meant inputs, but what ever I think Bryston should do the whole thing and not fall short on this one issue :nono:

rmurray

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2013, 10:31 pm »
  Ditto to that  :thumb: