Oppo UPD-203 Mods!

Phil A

Re: Oppo UPD-203 Mods!
« Reply #40 on: 22 Dec 2016, 06:17 pm »
From the early adopters I have read that the 203 is not quiet as good with 2 channel audio.. But who needs that these days :roll:

In any case it was built to a purpose. Be a 4k machine 1st and foremost with universal appeal, and be at a price point that makes most Videophiles happy.

Supposedly from the professional engineering standpoint the 103 had a higher current, low 5 volt power supply which was very solid for audio. I guess the 203 has a more run of the mill 12 volt supply used in most DVD players these days. However, the 103 and 105 also had the outboard wireless dongle. The new 203 actually can create some noise with the internal wifi... Again words from designers I was reading not mine.

The loss of video apps is slightly strange to me on the 203 honestly. You would figure they want to appeal to the universal crowd and keep the "Smart Chip" in there to compete with 80 dollar blue ray players as well, but I guess they figure a lot of people will just feed the HDMI back from the TV or use other units that have the smart apps on them I don't know?

Problem with this is not every HD TV even has an HDMI out to feed back to the OPPO in's HDMI to take advantage of the video and or audio processing power, most of the Smart TV's just have inputs so for others they will have to have a Roku or playstation etc... in order to run them I guess.

Just a warning for those looking at the new machine as it did add 4k but cut corners on a few other things in the universal audio/video realm if they are of any importance to you. Also, no mention if this unit even links up to the OPPO media app... It may have been dropped as well with the smart chip for netflix etc...

I only listened to a couple of things vs. the 103D, but preferred the 2-channel from the 203.  More refined on what I listened to.  I remember reading somewhere the Media Control App is coming in January.

Phil A

« Reply #41 on: 22 Dec 2016, 06:22 pm »

The loss of video apps is slightly strange to me on the 203 honestly. You would figure they want to appeal to the universal crowd and keep the "Smart Chip" in there to compete with 80 dollar blue ray players as well, but I guess they figure a lot of people will just feed the HDMI back from the TV or use other units that have the smart apps on them I don't know?

Problem with this is not every HD TV even has an HDMI out to feed back to the OPPO in's HDMI to take advantage of the video and or audio processing power, most of the Smart TV's just have inputs so for others they will have to have a Roku or playstation etc... in order to run them I guess.

Just a warning for those looking at the new machine as it did add 4k but cut corners on a few other things in the universal audio/video realm if they are of any importance to you. Also, no mention if this unit even links up to the OPPO media app... It may have been dropped as well with the smart chip for netflix etc...

Here is where they indicate the Media Control App is coming - http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Support.aspx

The streaming Apps I've read are to come as well

undertow

« Reply #42 on: 22 Dec 2016, 06:25 pm »
Yeah I still have a little issue with them dropping the "Smart Player" because even for most movie, video people these days do almost everything via streaming. I guess you can pull from other sources over the network if you want to get into all of that, but especially being its a 4k player you would assume that today it's rare to sell 35 dollar 4k discs to everybody and have to use the transport?

Seems a mistake removing the smart apps in my opinion directly on the machine. Not to mention if you want to process thru the oppo without an optical disc you are forced to essentially run another HDMI to the input if you have a unit to pull up the APP.

Ha, but I guess even video guys might have an old playstation hanging around they can run their Amazon or Netflix on! But it would be nice if the 203 internally processed it. Oh well.

As for stereo outs I believe all Oppo really ever did was simply jump another parallel set of RCA jacks out of the back and name them "Stereo" to make you feel better. It was always tapped off the 8 channel DAC for the last decade I assume. I don't believe they ran entirely separate 2 channel DAC boards so it always derived from the FL and FR on the chip.

Beyond that from my personal experience I was never that impressed with any of Oppos sound in stock form. Especially the overpriced Balanced BDP 105. I think the BDP 103 for the money was at least as good with most High res systems in single ended 2 channel anyway.

But both excel with a good custom Linear Power supply of course.

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 22 Dec 2016, 06:28 pm »
I've just seen this - https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/13/oppos-first-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-is-a-tribute-to-physical-me/

Earlier reports indicated that streaming Apps would be coming but the above indicates no (and it is more recent).

Not a big deal (to me) as my 4k TV has Apps and I have Roku boxes and Firesticks.  I've actually never used any of the streaming Apps from any of my Oppo players.

Phil A

« Reply #44 on: 22 Dec 2016, 06:31 pm »
I also have two 103Ds.  One is in the main system and it has only been used for video (have a music server and DAC).  The other is in the room where I just put the 203.  I'm taking that 103D into the bedroom system and rotating a 93 somewhere else.  I can access my NAS from the 103D and the bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers.  I am into file playback so disc spinners other than for movies don't hold great interest for me personally.

undertow

« Reply #45 on: 22 Dec 2016, 06:48 pm »
Well and there in lies the real point... Oppo for some reason really stressed on building a better transport into this one which at this point with Blu Ray, or CD, High res audio servers, or 4K is about 5 years behind! Should have kept streaming services on board... I am not a buyer, because I already have about a 1000 mod investment into a 103 with the top Sabre DAC board, and 2 amp linear power supply, but also can care less about 4k much like 3D honestly. Unless you like hanging out at best buy watching flowers grow, or sea creatures float around all day on demo :-)

modwright

« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2018, 10:18 pm »
OK guys, with the scarcity of UDP-205 players out there, I am willing to look again at a mod for the UDP-203.

It would not be as expensive as the UDP-205 and not necessarily include tubes.  I have a few ideas, but I need to know what level of interest there is.

Also, is anyone willing to send me one to investigate?

Thanks,

Dan[/size]

oem-wheels

« Reply #47 on: 27 Apr 2018, 01:56 am »
4K not that big of deal but UHD .... wow

A_shah

« Reply #48 on: 27 Apr 2018, 03:55 am »
Clone audio makes a Linear power supply for the 203 for about $ 350.00 as a self install mod

A_shah

« Reply #49 on: 27 Apr 2018, 03:57 am »
 :scratch:

A_shah

« Reply #50 on: 27 Apr 2018, 03:59 am »
OK guys, with the scarcity of UDP-205 players out there, I am willing to look again at a mod for the UDP-203.

It would not be as expensive as the UDP-205 and not necessarily include tubes.  I have a few ideas, but I need to know what level of interest there is.

Also, is anyone willing to send me one to investigate?

Thanks,

Dan[/size]

What happens after the investigations ? do I get it back
 :scratch:

Asghar

modwright

« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2018, 04:00 pm »
Yes, you get it back.

In fact, what I would do, is to determine what I feel would be a worthwhile mod for it and quote you.  As the first person to receive the new mod and for letting me use your unit to design the mod, I would give you a significant discount based on the final retail price of the mod going forward.

I won't make any changes to your unit without your agreeing to the quote and the proposed work.

Thanks,

Dan

A_shah

« Reply #52 on: 1 Jun 2018, 06:42 am »
Yes, you get it back.

In fact, what I would do, is to determine what I feel would be a worthwhile mod for it and quote you.  As the first person to receive the new mod and for letting me use your unit to design the mod, I would give you a significant discount based on the final retail price of the mod going forward.

I won't make any changes to your unit without your agreeing to the quote and the proposed work.

Thanks,

Dan

Don,
Sorry just saw your msg. I am also getting a UDP 205 this June from their final run , But will call you monday to talk to you.
regarding the UDP 203 :thumb:
Asghar

modwright

« Reply #53 on: 1 Jun 2018, 04:26 pm »
Happy to speak with you about either. We will of course be offering mods for the upcoming 205's in the next shipment too!

Thanks,

Dan

Mike6743

« Reply #54 on: 5 Feb 2019, 11:16 pm »
Just circling back around on a possible mod for the 203. I'm interested in upgrading over stock, for purposes of UHD video/Dolby Atmos via HDMI. Any comparisons between Clone, oppomods.com, or MW?

MicJames

« Reply #55 on: 1 Apr 2019, 05:24 pm »

Supposedly from the professional engineering standpoint the 103 had a higher current, low 5 volt power supply which was very solid for audio. I guess the 203 has a more run of the mill 12 volt supply used in most DVD players these days. However, the 103 and 105 also had the outboard wireless dongle. The new 203 actually can create some noise with the internal wifi... Again words from designers I was reading not mine.

Hi.  I use a 103 (with a Vanity HD board) as a digital audio transport, and have been curious whether the 203 provides any advantages as a transport over the 103.  What is quoted above might suggest some advantages of using 103 as a digital transport. 

Any thoughts?