Are we on the verge of a SS revolution???

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Are we on the verge of a SS revolution???
« Reply #120 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:35 am »
This is the difference between being arrogant, and knowing you can’t possibly have the 1000 years experience with top level gear the 60 ears I’m basing my information on has.

You mean the 60 ears that aren't your own :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, since you're so adamant that one must use reference level gear, in one's own system, to decide if the best SS has "wiped out" tubes, what gear top flight gear have you used in your own system to justify this opinion?  Besides the stuff you make, I mean. 

And you never answered me about whether you've heard the top of the line Lampizator DAC or the top of the line Modwright DAC.  Although I don't suppose it really matters, since you HAVEN'T HEARD the DAC you say bests everything else (the MSB).  So you don't have a basis of actual comparison. 

I mean seriously, how can you design a piece of gear and know how it sounds vs other high end gear, if you've never heard the very gear you're comparing it against?  That's insane. 

Tyson

« Reply #121 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:39 am »
Dev,

I’m not justifying the cost. In fact I’m on a mission to match this for $5000. However I sincerely believe based on my research this is among the top DAC’s available in the market today. If you want to make the best gear, you need to have a reference point to use. Otherwise there’s no way to know where you’re at.

Quoting for comedy - I mean I just can't oh hahaha, it's too much  :rotflmao:

debjit.g

« Reply #122 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:39 am »
Dev,

I’m not justifying the cost. In fact I’m on a mission to match this for $5000. However I sincerely believe based on my research this is among the top DAC’s available in the market today. If you want to make the best gear, you need to have a reference point to use. Otherwise there’s no way to know where you’re at.

I agree that you need a top quality reference but that particular reference doesn't seem to do the thing to my ears. As I said, I really need to hear in a good setup. Again, there is absolutely no question about your mission and really appreciate it for what you have contributed thus far and have been following your DAC thread with great interest even though I own a purestream  :thumb:

JackD

« Reply #123 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:54 am »
My personal experience with MSB DACs though it has been a few years is that they are very detail oriented at all costs so not my cup of tea at all.  So there is no way I am going to spend $90,000 to $140.000 (depending on options) to find out if they have changed their philosophy.  I won't even drive the distance to a dealer I know well to hear it in a system I am unfamiliar with other than to know it is made up of components that Valin loves. And as we have seen since it's introduction the manufacturer will soon compete with itself at a lower price point making re-sale value of the top line component risky at best.  I am content with where I am but will give the Mivera amp a fair shake in the system it was intended for and will post my impressions positive or negative.  It will be my fourth Class D amp so not a rookie with the technology.  I will even give it a listen in the other one but I don't think it will displace what is there but I may be wrong and will admit it if that occurs. 

bavmike

« Reply #124 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:55 am »
Wait till those new opamps arrive. :)

debjit.g

« Reply #125 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:57 am »
Wait till those new opamps arrive. :)

you mean the Fivefish ?

bavmike

« Reply #126 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:01 am »
you mean the Fivefish ?

Yes. But even though they aren’t my products, it’s off topic for here. Better to discuss in my DAC thread.

bavmike

« Reply #127 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:05 am »
You mean the 60 ears that aren't your own :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, since you're so adamant that one must use reference level gear, in one's own system, to decide if the best SS has "wiped out" tubes, what gear top flight gear have you used in your own system to justify this opinion?  Besides the stuff you make, I mean. 

And you never answered me about whether you've heard the top of the line Lampizator DAC or the top of the line Modwright DAC.  Although I don't suppose it really matters, since you HAVEN'T HEARD the DAC you say bests everything else (the MSB).  So you don't have a basis of actual comparison. 

I mean seriously, how can you design a piece of gear and know how it sounds vs other high end gear, if you've never heard the very gear you're comparing it against?  That's insane.

I’m not going to share the list of DAC’s my clients have compared to mine. This isn’t the place for it. And it really doesn’t matter. Because that’s a previous gen DAC. It will be soon enough that brand new datapoints will be shared by dozens here on AC. So sit back and enjoy the ride to enlightenment:)

I’m finished here.

Tyson

« Reply #128 on: 13 Mar 2018, 06:07 am »
I’m not going to share the list of DAC’s my clients have compared to mine. This isn’t the place for it. And it really doesn’t matter. Because that’s a previous gen DAC. It will be soon enough that brand new datapoints will be shared by dozens here on AC. So sit back and enjoy the ride to enlightenment:)

I’m finished here.

Get back to us once you've had a chance to hear some reference level gear.

maty

« Reply #129 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:41 am »
About fatigue only I can say that my cheaper and tweaked system has been becoming increasingly revealing as I have been reducing my problems with DC, ripple, noise and interferences (RF/EMI). I do not have fatigue. The sound fills the room and I get excited with more excellent recordings than before.

Usually very great vinyl rips from old analog masters made with tubes -> H2 predominance is my hypothesis -without measures is only a hypothesis. Better without noise and nasty harmonics.

Very good sound without emotion is not the same.

Photon46

« Reply #130 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:39 am »
Just a couple random thoughts here - hope that they can be digested without provoking further rounds of bickering :flame:

As to Freo-1 and bavmike's back and forth over Diavialet's relative merits, Mike's right that Divialet isn't everyone's cup of tea. I've known of several owners that moved on from that brand. That said, people move on because it's hard to separate "different" from "better" and we don't always immediately perceive what we really need or want. Something about the human brain craves new stimuli and our excitement over new audio gear definitely falls into that category of experience. Some people (with spare cash) move from gear to gear like Jay Leno goes through cars because they're addicted to change and can't settle down. I guess we're all in pursuit of that "absolute sound" that will remain an elusive goal. As to Mike's implication that Divialet must be deficient because it's resale value plummets, that's no meaningful metric IMO. Pretty much ALL upper tier gear has a similar depreciation curve from what I see. I'm not complaining though, I'd never have a system I appreciate as much if others didn't churn gear and sell for 50% off. :lol:

Freo-1

« Reply #131 on: 13 Mar 2018, 01:07 pm »
Just a couple random thoughts here - hope that they can be digested without provoking further rounds of bickering :flame:

As to Freo-1 and bavmike's back and forth over Diavialet's relative merits, Mike's right that Divialet isn't everyone's cup of tea. I've known of several owners that moved on from that brand. That said, people move on because it's hard to separate "different" from "better" and we don't always immediately perceive what we really need or want. Something about the human brain craves new stimuli and our excitement over new audio gear definitely falls into that category of experience. Some people (with spare cash) move from gear to gear like Jay Leno goes through cars because they're addicted to change and can't settle down. I guess we're all in pursuit of that "absolute sound" that will remain an elusive goal. As to Mike's implication that Divialet must be deficient because it's resale value plummets, that's no meaningful metric IMO. Pretty much ALL upper tier gear has a similar depreciation curve from what I see. I'm not complaining though, I'd never have a system I appreciate as much if others didn't churn gear and sell for 50% off. :lol:

Good, thoughtful post. 

I've learned over the years to temper judgmental conclusions when it comes to high end audio.  The fact that someone likes or doesn't like a given audio setup is their "opinion" based on the entire system and the listening environment, period.  It has no merit regarding the quality of the gear under evaluation.  I've lost count of how may times I've listened to systems that cost $$$ that just did not sound good.  Yet, some of the same equipment in other applications sounded just fine.   

Tyson's earlier post about listening to mostly classical music mirrors my current listening habits.   Depending on the recording, tubes sometimes sound better, but with other recordings, the Devialet 400 sounds better. 

I've gone through a lot of audio gear over the years, and the Devialet was the first SS setup I've heard that I din't feel the need to change out in six months.  The Devialet/Dynaudio combination is among the most musical I've ever heard.  The SAM feature helps a lot.  Photon46's observation about obtaining this type of gear second hand is bang on. 

The hobbyist aspect is one that is often overlooked.  My tube journey eventually wound up going the DIY route, which INHO, is the best way to enjoy tubes.  This allows for use of high quality parts (transformers, caps, resistors) to combine with with high quality tubes outside of the normal audio tubes, such as TV/Radio tubes.  I have a DIY preamp that is based on a Thomas Meyer clone of a 6AH4 tube which is extremely quiet and holographic sounding.  The power amps use 6BL7 tubes as drivers and phase splittes, and 1625/6883B power tubes.  The sound from this gear is outstanding, especially jazz/rock/blues.  Classical also is very enjoyable, as it does very well with reproducing string instruments.  The hobbyist aspect also makes this a fun and enjoyable approach to listening to music.   For anyone who is inclined, it is well worth investigating this option.  I started out by rebuilding old Dyna preamps and amps, and went from there. 

At the end of the day, folks need to trust their own ears when it comes to audio.  While I enjoy reading reviews, need to take them with a grain of salt, and go with your own instincts.   

Photon46

« Reply #132 on: 13 Mar 2018, 01:51 pm »
Freo-1, you are absolutely right about tubes and the hobbyist aspect. A lot of us like the hands on tweaking and experimenting that some tube gear inspires. I don't think tube gear is going away any time soon if for no other reason than the sight of a rack full of equipment with glowing tubes triggers all sorts of pleasant emotions. Even the younger beginning audiophiles I've met are fascinated with the idea of tubes. Tube audio has a sort of steampunk aesthetic that appeals to a certain number of us. 

I also completely agree with that observation that whether a given bit of kit sounds good, great, or indifferent often depends on system context. Just as you mentioned, I've heard the same piece of gear sound blah in one context and great in another. Another thing that seems really hard for many of us to accept is that there's great variability in what each of us perceives as "correct" sound. There's as much variability there as there are in the realms of religion, politics, child rearing, sexual attraction, etc. We seem to be as quick to condemn someone for different tastes in audio as we are in those other matters as well. :roll: Listening to the chatter at audio shows confirms that quickly. The high wattage solid state, wall of sound MBL and Martin Logan room lovers are nattering away about the the deaf ones who love the single driver flea watt systems, the tube lovers are shaking their heads at class D rooms, and so it goes.

Freo-1

« Reply #133 on: 13 Mar 2018, 02:13 pm »
Freo-1, you are absolutely right about tubes and the hobbyist aspect. A lot of us like the hands on tweaking and experimenting that some tube gear inspires. I don't think tube gear is going away any time soon if for no other reason than the sight of a rack full of equipment with glowing tubes triggers all sorts of pleasant emotions. Even the younger beginning audiophiles I've met are fascinated with the idea of tubes. Tube audio has a sort of steampunk aesthetic that appeals to a certain number of us. 

I also completely agree with that observation that whether a given bit of kit sounds good, great, or indifferent often depends on system context. Just as you mentioned, I've heard the same piece of gear sound blah in one context and great in another. Another thing that seems really hard for many of us to accept is that there's great variability in what each of us perceives as "correct" sound. There's as much variability there as there are in the realms of religion, politics, child rearing, sexual attraction, etc. We seem to be as quick to condemn someone for different tastes in audio as we are in those other matters as well. :roll: Listening to the chatter at audio shows confirms that quickly. The high wattage solid state, wall of sound MBL and Martin Logan room lovers are nattering away the the deaf ones who love the single driver flea watt systems, the tube lovers are shaking their heads at class D rooms, and so it goes.

+1   :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #134 on: 13 Mar 2018, 02:38 pm »
Well it certainly appears that way with new innovations with chip amps, class"D". What we listen to is a "System" not an individual component.
In my world tonality and harmonic structure as in live is my goal setting up a system. Now live sound can vary as well depending on where the recording venue was.
Some like a sound of a warm room some a bright room. Then genre of music in that room. The key to our system set up is to know what "room" you prefer music in. Then one can start the journey.
Amp/speaker selection is IMHO the most important. There needs to be a synergy of load required, wattage and character. I apply the rule of opposites. Bright amp then warm speaker and visa versa. Having limited access to different components makes the chase harder. We do what we can.
Let the revolution continue we all win.

charles

Photon46

« Reply #135 on: 13 Mar 2018, 03:37 pm »
Amp/speaker selection is IMHO the most important. There needs to be a synergy of load required, wattage and character. I apply the rule of opposites. Bright amp then warm speaker and visa versa.
charles

It's interesting that, to my ears, the AS1200 module amp I just acquired turns that idea on it's head. The Tidal Piano Ceras I listen too are really revealing speakers with ceramic drivers and all previous amps I'd preferred were of the warmer persuasion. The AS1200 has tremendous clarity and I could imagine that with lower accuracy bright speakers it could be too much of a good thing. However, with speakers that have clarity without much distortion and good phase accuracy, it's just more of a good thing. Admittedly the one downside to that is that inferior recordings have nowhere to hide and it's all too easy to hear recording inadequacies. Even then, deficiencies aren't magnified and made more unappealing, they're just evident.

bavmike

« Reply #136 on: 13 Mar 2018, 03:47 pm »
It's interesting that, to my ears, the AS1200 module amp I just acquired turns that idea on it's head. The Tidal Piano Ceras I listen too are really revealing speakers with ceramic drivers and all previous amps I'd preferred were of the warmer persuasion. The AS1200 has tremendous clarity and I could imagine that with lower accuracy bright speakers it could be too much of a good thing. However, with speakers that have clarity without much distortion and good phase accuracy, it's just more of a good thing. Admittedly the one downside to that is that inferior recordings have nowhere to hide and it's all too easy to hear recording inadequacies. Even then, deficiencies aren't magnified and made more unappealing, they're just evident.

What are you using for a DAC?

maty

« Reply #137 on: 13 Mar 2018, 04:11 pm »
[Review] Tidal Piano Cera Loudspeakers

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143:tidal-piano-cera-loudspeakers&

Frequency response in Jeff Fritz's Music Vault listening room (smoothed to 1/6th octave):

[IMG] http://www.soundstageultra.com/images/stories/equipment/201107_tidal_inroom.gif

http://www.aaudioimports.com/UploadImages/new-TIDAL-Piano-Cera_1.pdf

nominal impedance: 4-6 Ohm

frequency response: very linear, F3 = 32 Hz

Incredible, in the specs there are not the sensitivity! Only these audiophile words:

efficiency:

since several unrealistic numbers of competitors we don't want to confuse clients by comparing non saying numbers on paper. Therefore it is: "Good efficiency, easy to drive also with tube amps / SET'S".

:duh:

maty

« Reply #138 on: 13 Mar 2018, 04:21 pm »
To compare with DIY (or not) Plutone speakers:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Plutone.html

We have ALL information less the values of crossover components. And graphs, crossover diagrams and photos.

bavmike

« Reply #139 on: 13 Mar 2018, 04:49 pm »
To compare with DIY (or not) Plutone speakers:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Plutone.html

We have ALL information less the values of crossover components. And graphs, crossover diagrams and photos.

Thats a kit I've been very interested in building since first reading it was in the works.