DIY Nelson Pass 6-24 Active Crossover

Jon L

Re: DIY Nelson Pass 6-24 Active Crossover
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2024, 04:39 am »
\Would like to avoid the blue or orange branded buckets from the big box stores. Was hoping to find something else locally, but not having the best of luck with that.

I just watched this an hour ago, and if I didn't already use 12" sealed subs in my system, I would go for these!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165GBa0KLIY&t=1s

arteom

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2024, 06:06 pm »
That actually doesn't look all too bad as far as construction of the box. I didn't want to go flatpack route and end up with some crooked boxes! I had priced a pair of subs from partexpress previously and it would have cost a bit over what a single finished sub costs from HSU. Part of me thinks that if I was going to spend the money that might be the better route. With the bucket subs I should get out of it having spent $150 for the pair. For my size room they should be sufficient.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #22 on: 5 Feb 2024, 12:34 am »
I have had some hum due to my DIY Nelson Pass 6-24 active crossover. Not terrible, but c'mom it should be a black brckground. Had a local audio enthusiast over last week and he mentioned it.... definitely motivated me. I'm looking at ordering fets, maybe ground loop as its single ended, generally pulling my hair out trying to figure this out; but as I look at the picture I remember it does come mostly from the left sub.... now isn't that the closest output to the step down transformer for power regulator. Hmm, could it be electro magnetic radiation from that transformer. Disconnect supply and switch in a bench supply, noise gone. Eureka, finally found it! Spent today tearing things apart installed toroidal transformer (should have in the first place) I had laying around... totally quiet. Didn't stop there and fabricated a faraday shield around power supply. Took the better part of the day, but I'm done and listening to music.

Before and after pics... booyah!

Before

After