Introduction/new owner

Mraudi

Introduction/new owner
« on: 17 Jun 2023, 12:14 pm »
Hello everyone. I've been a long time fan of VMPS speakers.
Forced to admire from afar. I enjoy this hobby on a very small
budget. I own some nice gear, but I am forced to make compromises
to aquire it. Such as buying broken and repairing, or living with
cosmetic issues.
This week I won the lottery. Not literally. Figuratively. I saw an
ad on FB marketplace for a "stereo" the main picture was a Supertower/r
The price listed was $200!!!!! I opened the ad quickly read the description
Immediately sent a message. Now I took some time to reread
the ad. Along with the speakers were included an audio rack, an
Onkyo CD player, Onkyo tuner, Parasound preamp, Parasound power amp!
Somehow I was the first to message, and later that day I went to collect my loot!
The amp has some small issues.
But both 15" woofers were not working, along with one
12" woofer. Figuring I had nothing to lose I pulled one 15", took it
to the workshop and carefully removed the dust cap.
I could then see where the glue on the voice coil lead had bubbled
I carefully removed that glue and found a break right where
the voice coil lead came out of the epoxy. More careful epoxy
removal. Was able to get enough wire out to solder to. Was able
to repair both 15"s. The 12 is almost there but took much more
work.
So. Those of you still with me that I haven't bored to death.
Apparently I need to post eleventy times before I can search.
Can anyone point me to specific posts on Supertower/R's?

ST86

Re: Introduction/new owner
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2023, 01:57 am »
Hello and welcome to the VMPS circle.  I owned Supertower/R and Tower ii for many years (currently have RM40s) and will be glad to help with any of your questions.  I searched for "Supertower/R" and the search returned three pages of results.  To narrow it down a bit, is there any specific info you are looking for?

Best,
Ed

GeorgeAb

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2023, 03:26 am »
Welcome and congratulations on the scrore! Wonderful find.

You can get around the AC search rules by using google's advanced search. https://www.google.com/advanced_search

Place what you are looking for i.e. "Supertower/R" and then in site or domain use:  https://www.audiocircle.com/

Brochures and manuals are here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113199.0

Mraudi

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2023, 03:26 am »
Hello and welcome to the VMPS circle.  I owned Supertower/R and Tower ii for many years (currently have RM40s) and will be glad to help with any of your questions.  I searched for "Supertower/R" and the search returned three pages of results.  To narrow it down a bit, is there any specific info you are looking for?

Best,
Ed

I'd like very much to figure out the correct crossover values for the drivers in mine.
And especially the resistor in series with the 12" woofer.
Mine have the white plastic cone 15"'s and black ribbed 12's with cloth dust cap.
Are they Gefco or Misco?
Misco is better correct? I have a pair of Misco 12's from a pair of original Subs. Can I use them? Do I have to modify to crossover to use them?

ST86

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2023, 03:35 am »
--I'd like very much to figure out the correct crossover values for the drivers in mine.

The crossover points for the Supertower/R are:

Woofer to mids 600 Hz
Mids to domes:  4.5KHz
Domes to supertweeter 10KHz (not completely sure on that one).

--And especially the resistor in series with the 12" woofer.

The series resistor (25 ohm?) for the 12" woofer is, as I understand it, part of the series crossover network (for that particular 12" woofer) for the woofers and mids.   If you change drivers you usually have to change crossover values to keep the same crossover points. 
If you change woofers you may or may not need the resistor.

--Mine have the white plastic cone 15"'s and black ribbed 12's with cloth dust cap.
--Are they Gefco or Misco?

The black ribbed 12 with the 25 ohm resistor sounds like it is the original driver.  I don't know the brand.

--Misco is better correct? I have a pair of Misco 12's from a pair of original Subs. Can I use them? Do I have to modify to crossover to use them?

You will probably have to modify the crossover component values with the Misco drivers to keep the same crossover points.  Another thing about those Misco drivers from the subs.  The 12 inch driver in the Supertower is the "mid-bass coupler" which is supposed to handle the upper part of the bass up to the 600 Hz cutoff where the mids start to take over.  I don't know the 12 inch driver used in the original sub but if it is a subwoofer driver I'd wonder a bit if it is OK to use up to 600 Hz.  Do you have model number and spec sheet?  That would help.

If you want to find the crossover points in your Supertowers you need to be able to measure it.  Do you have any equipment to measure the crossover points?  If not it will be pretty tough to do any crossover mods with any certainty.  If the capacitors are old I suppose you could replace the capacitors that are currently in there with new ones of the same value to see if that improves things.  I'd also suggest cleaning all of the L-pads with Deoxit.  A quick spray in the pad, turn the shaft all the way to one side then all the way to the other side, back and forth about thirty times.  You should notice the pad getting easier to turn and smoother.

Regards,
Ed

Mraudi

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2023, 09:36 pm »
I believe I have positively figured out that the 12" woofer and white cone 15" were made by Gefco.
The 12" Misco 12"s are the wrong part number.
Where it get interesting is the resistor. Mine have a 7ohm resistor. I tried changing it to 25, and it got rid of the infuriating bass hump, but then I had a hole in the upper range.
I think maybe I'll just set them on fire?

ZAKski288

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2023, 04:10 pm »
Mraudi, this is the 12” woofer in my Supertower/R.  all my driver were replaced in Aug. 2012  from Brian.

15” was Goldwood GW-15PC-8
12” was Misco LC12W-8A , ribbed cone with phase plug.
Mids was Gefco X3968 1056 8835

Good luck.

ST86

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2023, 04:19 pm »
Those are the same woofer drivers in my Supertowers. What mids do you have?  Do you know the L and C crossover values?  I’d have to check my notes to see what mine are. Mraudi are you able to measure the crossover L and C of yours?  This info might help to solve your problem.

Ed

ZAKski288

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2023, 04:39 pm »
Here is the mids for Supertower/R

Mids

Woofer

ST86

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2023, 04:53 pm »
Don’t mean to be a pain but do you have front pictures of the mids?  Brian called them the “classic mids” when I ordered them from him. They came with no markings on the back. 

Thanks,
Ed

ZAKski288

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2023, 04:59 pm »
Mids (front) should have phase plug

12” (front)

ST86

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2023, 05:03 pm »
Thank you. Mid looks different. Woofer is the same. Crossover values probably different.

Ed

ZAKski288

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2023, 05:14 pm »
Crossover

ST86

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2023, 05:45 pm »
I remember now. We talked about these crossover values a while back. The capacitor value for my mids is somewhere around 50uF, likely from my mids being different than these. Mraudi do these mids look like yours?  Maybe this info will help figuring out the right values so you can get rid of that frequency response hump.

Ed

Mraudi

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2023, 12:03 am »
Yes. The mids look like mine. The 12" woofers as well, but mine don't have a phase plug.
Mine have a 1.0mh coil and a 5.6 uf cap, with a .022 bypass cap
There is a 7ohm resistor on the 12" woofer.
Currently there is a 12"version of the Goldwood 15" in place of the original 12". And Vifa mids in place of the "classic" mids. And they sound superb that way. But I'd really really rather have the original drivers in there