My first OB effort

warpspeed

My first OB effort
« on: 4 May 2012, 06:41 pm »
Been lurking around this forum, especially this circle and decided to give an OB speaker a try

Got some 10" FR drivers and two cabinets of sorts - put on a lick of paint and making music...

Gothover

Re: My first OB effort
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2012, 10:23 pm »
So what do you think?

I couldn't be more happy with my first venture into open baffles, hope you feel the same.

Dave

-Richard-

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2012, 11:18 pm »
Hi warpspeed ~

I like the color!!!... it reminds us that DIY Open Baffles lend themselves nicely to color options... should we have an interest in that direction... it could also nicely meet the WAF to allow her (or the significant other who may not be particularly interested in these kinds of audio solutions) to choose the color that she feels best co-ordinates with the room aesthetics... I am not being funny here... I mean it.

I always confer with Deborah, who is a well-respected designer... I want her to be happy and feel comfortable with something like a plank of wood that will take a prominent place in the living room.

Nice work warpspeed!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Incidently, what are the 10" FR drivers you are using? And does the sound come close to a "full-range" experience?

Admittedly, I am easily taken with "simple" designs for their economy of "means"... it appeals to me.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard

warpspeed

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2012, 06:04 am »
Hey guys

Thanks a million - i loved every minute of this build - not that there is much in this particular OB design which suits me down to the ground. I have very limited woodworking skills you see - but i can paint things and Richard you are 100% correct - it also has to look the part

As this was my first venture into OB's i used a relatively cheap Skytronic 10" driver from one of our local agents - I went the cheaper route instead of the Visaton/Fostex as i am still new to the OB thing and wanted to explore the merits/shortfalls
of this design

I love them - however not been able to compare them to anything else, i think they are awesome - placement was an issue but with a bit shuffling here and there they are sounding brilliant to me and my novice ears

Sure WAF was a bit of a drag initially but Meegan is warming to them - she always wanted a set of speakers in this colour.

This is definetly not my last set i will make - seeing that OB's sound so awesome- i will make another set but with an added woofer of sorts to see what they sound like

Cheers for now

Steve