Advice on upgrade path for a newbie?

charmerci

Re: Advice on upgrade path for a newbie?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2010, 09:51 am »
With your original post (1-6), you seem to have your priorities in good order.

With your room, filling your bookshelf with books would tame a lot of room reflections. Also, you might want to change places of your sofa with the two chairs. Trying to tame the room reflections with heavy curtains and wall hangings would improve things a lot.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2010, 10:19 am »
Very important to keep your wife happy at this stage as your hobby will soon get out of hand!!!   :thumb:
Here is a link to a DAC that won't break the bank (again keeping the wife happy) and is getting nice reviews:

http://www.mavaudio.com/

I plan on getting one and inserting between my Squeezebox and Receiver. Just another option for ya...
 Ed L.

purplesaber

« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:06 am »

Although both speakers list the same recommended amplifier power range, the SongBird's lower sensitivity of 84dB (compared to the SongTower's 88dB) will take twice the amplifier power to drive them to the same listening level.

That being said, it depends on how loud you like to listen.  Although your seating position is relatively close to the speakers, your couch in between them will absorb some sound energy, particularly the higher frequencies and with the speakers toed-in.

I wouldn't worry too much for now, but if your listening habits will lean toward turning the volume up to realistic levels at times, you may run out of steam with the current amplifier pairing, and would probably benefit from an amplifier upgrade down the road.  After the DAC, which I would agree would still be the next best step.

Steve

Thanks explanation and for the advice. I'm still getting up to speed on what speaker sensitivities mean so this helps a lot. Basically lower sensitivity means more watts needed to reach the same spl, right?

My current receiver is 80 wpc. I'm going to take the advice above and not rush out and get something new until I get to try out the SBs with what I already have. That being said I've been thinking about the AVA 240 or the Parasound Halo a23 which are both 125 wpc. If I can ask, how much difference would this make going from 80 to 125wpc?

With your original post (1-6), you seem to have your priorities in good order.

With your room, filling your bookshelf with books would tame a lot of room reflections. Also, you might want to change places of your sofa with the two chairs. Trying to tame the room reflections with heavy curtains and wall hangings would improve things a lot.

Thanks for the advice! I can do some of those things. The bookshelf will get loaded up -- it's brand new so we haven't had time to get our books on it. Probably won't be getting curtains...the style of this kind of house (Eichler) is to have big open windows...but getting more things on the wall may work.

Very important to keep your wife happy at this stage as your hobby will soon get out of hand!!!   :thumb:
Here is a link to a DAC that won't break the bank (again keeping the wife happy) and is getting nice reviews:

http://www.mavaudio.com/

I plan on getting one and inserting between my Squeezebox and Receiver. Just another option for ya...
 Ed L.

You read my mind! I saw a long thread about the Maverick DAC in other part of the forum and ordered one earlier today. Seems very well regarded and not terribly expensive. Reassures me to see you think well of it enough to get one for yourself!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:30 am »
My current receiver is 80 wpc. I'm going to take the advice above and not rush out and get something new until I get to try out the SBs with what I already have. That being said I've been thinking about the AVA 240 or the Parasound Halo a23 which are both 125 wpc. If I can ask, how much difference would this make going from 80 to 125wpc?

I think that a good quality preamp might make more difference than an amp.  An amp merely amplifies the signal to a level that drives the speakers.  The sound flows from the source components -> preamp -> amp -> speakers.  You have taken care of your source with a DAC, and the next component in the chain is the preamp.  Garbage in = garbage out. 

AVA gear works beautifully with Salk speakers.  I have never heard a Parasound preamp.  I heard a Parasound A-21 amplifier with an AVA preamp, and the system sounded great.

K Shep

« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:18 pm »
That being said I've been thinking about the AVA 240 or the Parasound Halo a23 which are both 125 wpc. If I can ask, how much difference would this make going from 80 to 125wpc?

Two excellent choices.  From 80 to 125 watts, the bass will kick, the mid range will fill out and you will have room to turn the volume up with out clipping.

srb

« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2010, 03:06 pm »
Two excellent choices.  From 80 to 125 watts, the bass will kick, the mid range will fill out and you will have room to turn the volume up with out clipping.

It is also important to compare other characteristics of an amplifier, including it's internal power supply, in addition to the watt rating.  The HK receiver is only rated for 8 ohm speakers, and although the Salk SB's are 8 ohm also, it does speak to the amplifier's ability to deliver current.

With a higher quality amp, like the examples you mentioned, the difference will likely be more than just 80 watts versus 125 watts.

Steve

purplesaber

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:08 pm »
Okay this all makes more sense about what is the benefit to higher quality amps. Thank you for the explanations.

I think that a good quality preamp might make more difference than an amp.  An amp merely amplifies the signal to a level that drives the speakers.  The sound flows from the source components -> preamp -> amp -> speakers.  You have taken care of your source with a DAC, and the next component in the chain is the preamp.  Garbage in = garbage out. 

So the preamp part I'm still fuzzy about. I thought a preamp was mostly for switching and signal processing (volume, balance, bass management type stuff). Other than having more features what makes one preamp better than another?

And this may show how much of a beginner I am, but what would I lose by not having a preamp at all? If I go airport express>Maverick DAC1 (this has a DAC, a volume control, and a "tube preamp", and a headphone jack)>power amp (say AVA or Parasound)>SongBirds  would I miss not having a dedicated preamp? I only have the one source so I don't need a preamp that supports a CD player or a phonograph. I believe it does support adding a sub, although I would probably not add one for awhile.

I ask because 1) it's nice to keep things simple and less gear makes it easier for me to sneak a good set-up into the room and 2) if I don't need a pre-amp that gives me more budget to get one of the amps.

Basically, what do I gain as far as music quality if I have a preamp in between the Maverick DAC and my future amp (other than more features)? Is this silly to consider an amp without a pre-amp?

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:50 pm »
Rather than explain our opinions on what the benefits may or may not be, why not take a weekend to audition some preamps (and amps)?  If you don't hear a difference then you don't need one (preamp).

80wpc is not much power at all (especially from a receiver), and while it may "get you buy," you'll need to be careful.  Depending on the music you listen to and the volume levels, transients can spike very high in the power range (sometimes above 250 watts), which can cause amplifier clipping and possible speaker damage.  My advice is to just be careful until you get a dedicated amp (the more power the better).  Don't crank the volume.  With that in mind, I will again recommend getting an amp before a DAC. 

srb

« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2010, 07:47 pm »
With that in mind, I will again recommend getting an amp before a DAC.

Even after knowing that purplesaber had already ordered a DAC?

You read my mind! I saw a long thread about the Maverick DAC in other part of the forum and ordered one earlier today.

Purplesaber,

I still think you have made the right choice in getting a DAC, as the DAC in the AirPort Express is an obvious weak link.  And for a $200 investment, is certainly the least expensive addition you can make right now, as you will most likely spend quite a bit more for either a preamplifier or amplifier.

However, Nuance's caution in using your volume control is good advice, as with too much volume you may be able to overdrive your present amplifier, and overdriving an amplifier and clipping the waveform will result in speaker damage more frequently than turning it up (within reason) on a more powerful amplifier.

I also think you should get acquainted with the change in sound at each component replacement and not be in a rush to replace everything at once.

It is true that a preamplifier functions as a switcher, volume control, and if so equipped, tone control and bass management.  An active preamp, with an amplifying gain stage, can often give a fuller bodied sound to the  music.  Others prefer a passive "preamp" with no added circuitry or preamplification (provided their power amp has high enough gain, and many amplifiers don't).

I don't know if the Maverick D1 would be classified as a passive or active preamp, as I don't know if there is any internal gain (there is not much in the way of specifications or information available in that respect).  You would obviously not have remote control volume when used with a power amp in place of your receiver.

I would agree with Nuance and others, that a power amp may be the next logical step.  At that time, you can experiment with the difference between using the DAC direct to the power amp, versus through your receiver, as the receiver does have preamp outputs.

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #29 on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:13 pm »

srb

« Reply #30 on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:36 pm »
The Maverick DAC has a preamp

As I said, there is no mention of the preamplifier's gain.  All of the examples mentioned could be tried with either an active or passive preamplifier, and certainly either will work, however the results will vary.

Most speakers of low to medium efficiency are better suited to systems with 30+ dB of total gain (preamplifier + power amplifier).  Trying it will be the only way to know for sure.

Purplesaber, since your receiver has jumper-connected Pre-Out and Main-In jacks, you can try connecting the Tube Pre-Outs of the Maverick DAC to the Main-In power amp inputs of the HK receiver, and see for yourself if this more direct hookup sounds better (and has enough drive), compared to going through the HK preamp using one of it's line inputs.

Steve

purplesaber

« Reply #31 on: 14 Mar 2010, 10:27 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will be careful knowing the HK receiver shouldn't play loud with the SBs.

I didn't realize I can bypass the preamp of the receiver. That should be interesting to try the DAC into the power amp inputs of the receiver compared to into the preamp inputs. Thanks for that tip!

I really appreciate everyone's time in helping me out. Nuance, I know you are spot on that ultimately I need to actually hear different components and see what sounds good to me with my speakers and source. It's just very helpful to get some general guidelines from folks with a lot more experience to make sure I don't over-focus on stuff that won't make a big difference and try to avoid buying something that I'll regret later. I want to treat my Salk speakers right!

So I've got the DAC on its way. I'll experiment with my receiver inputs and hopefully that will tell me if I would benefit from a pre-amp. As far as an amp I will probably go the Audiogon route and aim for amps in 125+ wpc range. If I get something I don't like I can try to turn around and resell it without losing much in the investment. It looks like there are a fair number of internet stores with a return policy so that may also be what I do to try out an amp when I'm ready.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's time and generosity with helping point me in a good direction.

charmerci

« Reply #32 on: 14 Mar 2010, 10:44 pm »
Well, in the words of Harry Tuttle - "We're all in this together!"  :D